It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

Stomachhope HB User
Angry Please help diagnose, severe discomfort

I have this gnawing pain on left side of abdomen just below the left rib cage and spreads to sternum. Dr's diagnosed it as GERD few years back and put me on Pantaprazole 40 mg for 5 years and honestly I still used to get the pain while on medication even worse ( once a month on an average ) I stopped taking Pantaprazole from a year now and makes no difference( initially there was rebound acid) but the pain still comes on and off, starts slowly, then builds up and declines (a cycle of 1 week. )
The main characteristic of the pain is it increases when I stretch my body with arms up and at the same time makes me dizzy when stretching. Also whe I stretch I can feel the pain on my left side around my navel(belly button )and below sternum. My stomach also becoe bloated and can feel the shivers inside my body.I do not have diarrhoea or constipation. Performed endoscopy and everything comes back normal.I have months old kid to look after and this pain is making my life miserable. I just want to diagnose what it is and hope nothing serious.
I don't smoke and stopped alcohol.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Please help diagnose,severe discomfort

Have you had your pancreas checked when pain is present? There are two pancreatic enzymes that can be tested in the blood. Pancreatic inflammation can cause left sided abd. pain. Also, it would be good to have your abdomen examined by Dr to see if your spleen is enlarged, which is on left side under ribs. The cartilage along ribs and sternum can get inflamed also and cause pain. If it is cartilage, it would be tender to press along left sternum and front border of rib cage (costochondritis).

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Stomachhope (10-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
(male)

Stomachhope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Have you had your pancreas checked when pain is present? There are two pancreatic enzymes that can be tested in the blood. Pancreatic inflammation can cause left sided abd. pain. Also, it would be good to have your abdomen examined by Dr to see if your spleen is enlarged, which is on left side under ribs. The cartilage along ribs and sternum can get inflamed also and cause pain. If it is cartilage, it would be tender to press along left sternum and front border of rib cage (costochondritis).
Thank you for you reply, I will ask dr to check my pancreas. if it is enlarged spleen, does it goes back to normal and enlarge again and so on..
What tests should I request from my Dr.
Thanks again ladybud

Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Hi there, Some symptoms you describe do sound like they are still from GERD. If you do have costocondritis (caused by inflammation of the cartilage on the ribs), then doing physio therapy might bring you immediate relief (short wave therapy). Some balms that you apply for muscular aches actually help with the pain temporarily. For a permanent cure for both GERD and costocondritis, eastern Ayurveda will help you out. Wishing you well...

The Following User Says Thank You to Gugulimo For This Useful Post:
Stomachhope (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
(male)

Stomachhope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugulimo View Post
Hi there, Some symptoms you describe do sound like they are still from GERD. If you do have costocondritis (caused by inflammation of the cartilage on the ribs), then doing physio therapy might bring you immediate relief (short wave therapy). Some balms that you apply for muscular aches actually help with the pain temporarily. For a permanent cure for both GERD and costocondritis, eastern Ayurveda will help you out. Wishing you well...
Hi, does GERD give pain when we stretch my body, I do not have pain with normal body movements as in costochondritis. Pain increase when I stretch my stomach. is gas pains different to GERD . I use manuka honey, eat carrots,chicken liver etc. could you please suggest any Ayurvedic recommendations.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
(female)

Hi there,

I have GERD too and when if I lay down and stretch my arms above my head over the floor, that hurts my stomach. Feels like something is trying to stretch but not quite that flexible. Is this what you are finding too? I think this is due to the bloating which occupies part of the stomach stiffening everything. If you have costocondritis then those areas should be sore to pressure. I have that too and it is not fun. Heat relieves the pain just a bit and balms but these are very temporary.

Ayurvedic remedies are there for both. But you need to go to a practitioner to get checked up and to be prescribed the right medicines for you. Something you might feel helpful though is Licorice. I don't know whether you get the syrup there or some other form. But this is great for the stomach and it has healing properties that aid recovery. Recently I read something to the extent of it even helping out with ulcers, do a google and you'd be able to find this info. I am also taking Licorice. Honey is the other thing and also if you can eat rice pops (like popped corn you can also find popped rice), that will absorb the stomach acid. Eat it a few times a day, the quantity that matches with the size of a normal desert you would take. That will also help. If you CAN find, take a nicely ripe (ripe to the extent it is soft) Papaw fruit. If your reflux is not horrible, you can eat about 1/4 of this early morning on an empty stomach with honey. I MUST emphasis though that papaw loosens stools. So, it MIGHT end up like diarrhea but that's natural. This also soothes the stomach but if you are unsure of it, don't take the Papaw. Others do not cause any after effects. Honey is really good for GERD related phlem issues too but if you have ASTHMA, do NOT take honey please. Taking honey gets the phlem under control too and it soothes the throat. You can also try a tea spoon or two of honey in a cup of moderately hot water and drink it. This is good for the 'wheezing' type symptoms that are coming with GERD. For GERD I am taking an ayurvedic called "Shathawari GopaKanyadi Kwatha". It tackles the 'acid' problem at its roots and gets the unwanted acid slowly out of the body through sweat and urine without affecting the intestinal track. I don't know whether this is available outside but do search and see if it is there. This is a syrup but maybe the powder is also available. It is an anti bacterial, anti spasmodic, coats the mucus membrane, tackles excess acid while reducing the acidic quality of the overall body, purifies the blood etc...there's a lot of benefits :-)

Stomachhope (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
(male)

Stomachhope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugulimo View Post
Hi there,

I have GERD too and when if I lay down and stretch my arms above my head over the floor, that hurts my stomach. Feels like something is trying to stretch but not quite that flexible. Is this what you are finding too? I think this is due to the bloating which occupies part of the stomach stiffening everything. If you have costocondritis then those areas should be sore to pressure. I have that too and it is not fun. Heat relieves the pain just a bit and balms but these are very temporary.

Ayurvedic remedies are there for both. But you need to go to a practitioner to get checked up and to be prescribed the right medicines for you. Something you might feel helpful though is Licorice. I don't know whether you get the syrup there or some other form. But this is great for the stomach and it has healing properties that aid recovery. Recently I read something to the extent of it even helping out with ulcers, do a google and you'd be able to find this info. I am also taking Licorice. Honey is the other thing and also if you can eat rice pops (like popped corn you can also find popped rice), that will absorb the stomach acid. Eat it a few times a day, the quantity that matches with the size of a normal desert you would take. That will also help. If you CAN find, take a nicely ripe (ripe to the extent it is soft) Papaw fruit. If your reflux is not horrible, you can eat about 1/4 of this early morning on an empty stomach with honey. I MUST emphasis though that papaw loosens stools. So, it MIGHT end up like diarrhea but that's natural. This also soothes the stomach but if you are unsure of it, don't take the Papaw. Others do not cause any after effects. Honey is really good for GERD related phlem issues too but if you have ASTHMA, do NOT take honey please. Taking honey gets the phlem under control too and it soothes the throat. You can also try a tea spoon or two of honey in a cup of moderately hot water and drink it. This is good for the 'wheezing' type symptoms that are coming with GERD. For GERD I am taking an ayurvedic called "Shathawari GopaKanyadi Kwatha". It tackles the 'acid' problem at its roots and gets the unwanted acid slowly out of the body through sweat and urine without affecting the intestinal track. I don't know whether this is available outside but do search and see if it is there. This is a syrup but maybe the powder is also available. It is an anti bacterial, anti spasmodic, coats the mucus membrane, tackles excess acid while reducing the acidic quality of the overall body, purifies the blood etc...there's a lot of benefits :-)
Hi thanks for sharing knowledge,

I stopped Ppi,s as that gave me severe pain of eosophagus after 5 years of use, I have to go through 4 months of rebound acid pain and later stabilised to base level.At that point of time I felt better as the base level pain is far less than the actual pain I use to have while using Ppi's. now I still get severe pain once a month at it gives me severe anxiety if it is a cancer or something serious and many GERD sufferers have the same.

Things that worked for me organic manuka honey ( this has particular peptides that quote natural lining of stomach),carrot, chicken liver, probbitic,eating routine( timely eating everyday), avoid alcohol and smoking.
I read a lot about ayurveda and couldn't find real practitioner in au. There are many franchised practitioners but actual ayurveda says that every patient should be treated differently(Charaka samitha). I might share some knowledge once I tried few. Not all practitioners has good knowledge of Ayurveda

Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
(female)

Hi there,

Ayurvedic practitioners may be hard to find over there...mmm...sometimes they do have clinics like in California there's quit a lot of practicing going on from what it looks like. I do not know much about the situation in AU. Yes, every case is very different in Ayurveda and drugs like "paracetamol for everyone's headache" is not the way of treatment. That's because as you have highlighted, everyone's headache is individualistic ;-) The anxiety is a major cause of Nexium. Oh I so suffered that! Its awful actually and it induces panic attacks on top of it. Yesterday I had to quit Nexium cold. It started to induce urine blockages....imagine that of all the possible side effects. Now sitting here fearing the rebound. I've only taken it for 2.5 months but 2-3 weeks ago when I reduced the dose, the rebound came almost immediately and that was bad enough. Took me 1.5 weeks to settle that after watching the stomach like a hawk. This time completely out of the drug because it is impossible to take it any longer given this type of side effect. What a dire situation this is...! For the millionth time I wish my doctor told me before putting me on this drug. It is the worst by far :-( Did you try searching the net for practitioners? Sydney might have some?

Stomachhope (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
(female)

Hi again, BTW, the Ayurveda practitioners go as clinics and wellness centres. If you search as ayurvedic doctors in AU, google actually returns some results. Hope you'll be able to find one. One in particular seems to be having consultations "Ayurvedic Wellness Centre Bondi Junction Sydney".

Stomachhope (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Stomachehope,
The pancreas tests are amylase and lipase, measured in the blood. The spleen size can be felt on physical examination of the abdomen, and if enlarged, needs further evaluation to determine cause of enlargement. One thing that causes a lot of stomach discomfort is food allergies. That causes bloating, gas and diarrhea/constipation usually, but not always. I would look into that as well if you have allergies or come from a family with allergies.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Stomachhope (11-03-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
(female)

ssdowden HB User

I have these same symptoms. I even find that when sitting in a certain position it can cause the pain to start up. It comes and goes. I may go days or even weeks with no pain and then it starts and I walk around with my hand over my stomach and rib area. My GI doctor said it was my IBS. I have had IBS, when they called it a spastic colon, for over 40 years and this started a couple of years ago. I think at my next doctor's appointment I am going to ask for a CT scan. I will be 56 on Saturday and 2 years ago my best friend died of pancreatic cancer. They fiddle around too long before doing the scans (I know this is because of cost and insurance, blah, blah, blah), but if she had had a scan when she first went to the doctor she might very well still be here. She was only 53 when she passed away. My doctor is very good about listening and ordering tests if the believes there are viable. If your doctor isn't, don't quit asking; let him know what pain is and just keeping causing it, eventually he/she will pay attention, just to get you to quit asking.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
(male)

Stomachhope HB User
Re: Please help diagnose, severe discomfort

I have asked GP to test my pancreas and he has prescribed me for an ultrasound tomorrow , shoul I ask my dr for any specific test . As I learn a lot on Internet is 4D-ELF and LEBS technologies test available in Australia as it is very accurate and non invasive.. I am suffering from pain from yesterday( pity it's my birthday) I am 33 years and did every life change suggested to get rid of this pain. This pain gives me severe anxiety and I always think extremes.thanks all for your help.

Last edited by Stomachhope; 11-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
(male)

Stomachhope HB User
Re: Please help diagnose, severe discomfort

Hello again all my my reports came back good( blood tests and ultrasound). my GP has suggested CT scan for further evaluation. But aim just worried about radiation. cOuld any body suggest any alternative to Ct scan or is it alright to undergo CT scan. thanks all for your invaluable suggestions.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
(female)

ssdowden HB User

Just found out that my pain (very similar to yours) is because of a simple kidney cyst. I knew I had a small one several years ago but it has grown to 9CM and it is kind of causing a problem. Pain is in the same area as yours (mostly) but it also travels to the back some. I have also started have UTIs, which I have never had a problem with prior to this. Now I have to decide if I want to get rid of the thing or let it alone and hope it doesn't grow any more. There is also the possibility it could rupture which I guess would be painful. My doctor said I should leave it alone unless it causes me a lot of discomfort. I do worry about damage to the kidney or the other organs around this thing that it might be obstructing. I don't know how soft or hard they are but it looked squishy on the CT. They say they are quite common. It takes a CT or a MRI to find them. Wish you luck and hope you find some relief from the pain.

Closed Thread