HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   Scared! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/925218-scared.html)

jojokdz 10-29-2012 09:14 AM

Scared!

I have posted several times before but I really need HELP! I am SCARED!!! I HAVE gerd/ IBS and severe anxiety.. I have suffered with these for a very long time. And have frequent flare ups! Dont know what happens first, but know they work very good together.. about 2 months ago, we had something very bad here happened and my anxiety/depression went sky high and my symptoms with my digestive system went nuts. I got the usual rumbling that happens up high in my chest and rumbles for hrs. and then I got pain and constipated which with my IBS its usually the opposite.. Then with the rumbling it caused a pain up under my left breast and dead center between my breasts, or where my stomach starts, lower esphagus.. It was awful. Still after all these weeks I am still getting the rumbling after anything I eat.. And it causes pain. I am nausea in the morning, low appetite, and when I get hungry I am so afraid to eat because of this happening... right now all is quiet, little nausea, but the minute I eat it will start. Went to the ER 3x in the past 3 months. Had x rays of my digestive system, stomach and colon. Had a chest xray, bloodwork, I had stress test,echo, EKG'S , ALOT of them.... KUB of my kidneys.. I had the endo/colonscopy 3 1/2 yrs ago... but right now my anxiety is telling me its something bad... cause how can this be just gerd and how can this be just IBS??? pLEASE HELP ME...

Twinkie50 11-08-2012 03:46 AM

Re: Scared!

[QUOTE=jojokdz;5080534]I have posted several times before but I really need HELP! I am SCARED!!! I HAVE gerd/ IBS and severe anxiety.. I have suffered with these for a very long time. And have frequent flare ups! Dont know what happens first, but know they work very good together.. about 2 months ago, we had something very bad here happened and my anxiety/depression went sky high and my symptoms with my digestive system went nuts. I got the usual rumbling that happens up high in my chest and rumbles for hrs. and then I got pain and constipated which with my IBS its usually the opposite.. Then with the rumbling it caused a pain up under my left breast and dead center between my breasts, or where my stomach starts, lower esphagus.. It was awful. Still after all these weeks I am still getting the rumbling after anything I eat.. And it causes pain. I am nausea in the morning, low appetite, and when I get hungry I am so afraid to eat because of this happening... right now all is quiet, little nausea, but the minute I eat it will start. Went to the ER 3x in the past 3 months. Had x rays of my digestive system, stomach and colon. Had a chest xray, bloodwork, I had stress test,echo, EKG'S , ALOT of them.... KUB of my kidneys.. I had the endo/colonscopy 3 1/2 yrs ago... but right now my anxiety is telling me its something bad... cause how can this be just gerd and how can this be just IBS??? pLEASE HELP ME...[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Has your doctor given you something to help with your anxiety? I have horrible anxiety - have my entire life. There are medications to help keep it under control. It is debilitating I know. Sounds like you have had a good workup of tests. IBS can be triggered by anxiety and visa-versa - viscious cycle. MaryAnn [/COLOR]

jojokdz 11-08-2012 05:18 AM

[QUOTE=Twinkie50;5085555][COLOR="Red"]Has your doctor given you something to help with your anxiety? I have horrible anxiety - have my entire life. There are medications to help keep it under control. It is debilitating I know. Sounds like you have had a good workup of tests. IBS can be triggered by anxiety and visa-versa - viscious cycle. MaryAnn [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

YEs My Dr. has had me on meds for my anxiety but has increased it. After 6 weeks of whatever that was, it is subsiding a little.. I still have to watch what I eat, cause it still aches in my stomach , chest.. I take meds for my Gerd too. I have suffered with anxiety for most of my life.. the IBS/Gerd came along about 10 yrs ago.. but with anxiety u r right it affects the digestive system.. I know this, but tell my brain to believe it is the problem. I worry all the time. The flare ups with the Digestive issues only lasted a few days or a week, the meds kept the Gerd under control.. this was the worse I have ever felt.. 6 weeks!! Lost 20 pounds which is good for me, not this way though ugh! Thanks for replying......

sasrei7 11-08-2012 09:10 AM

I know IBS can be very painful especially during flare ups same with GERD. I get extremely bad stomach pain/nausea and because of my IBS I can't work. IBS can be really effected by your anxiety and I have been in the same boat as you when I was too scared to eat because of the pain, and nauseated it got so bad my fear it ended up making me throw up quite alot.. I was down to about 70 pounds at its worst. Don't let your anxiety prevent you from eating! It can turn into a very bad cycle. The pain sucks I know but believe me allowing the fear to control you is worse. Take graval for your nausea and have you tried peppermint oil? It can really help. With IBS-c make sure you have enough fibre in your diet and liquids, eat small meals and if need be keep a food diary to see what can be trigger foods. The rumbling is from the GERD I get that to when my GERD flares up, make sure your not having alot of acidic stuff (pop, some juices, coffee I believe can be very bad!) GERD is basically your upper schinter opens up when it shouldnt and acid comes up thats why you feel that pain between your breasts. If your GERD medication isnt helping ask your doctor for something different, if its really to severe there is a surgery that they can do to help close it. Do you see a psychiatrist for your anxiety? It can really help and actually I have pretty severe anxiety and social disorder so I went to a cognitive behaviour therapy group and it helped me so much. Even if you dont have a social anxiety it has helped me alot just with learning proper breathing techniques, relaxation techniques and just in general its good all around with anxiety. I would reccommend seeing if you can get into a CBT group it would really help you with your anxiety. I know it can be really scary but IBS can't kill you it just really.... really sucks. Like alot lol.

jojokdz 11-08-2012 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=sasrei7;5085658]I know IBS can be very painful especially during flare ups same with GERD. I get extremely bad stomach pain/nausea and because of my IBS I can't work. IBS can be really effected by your anxiety and I have been in the same boat as you when I was too scared to eat because of the pain, and nauseated it got so bad my fear it ended up making me throw up quite alot.. I was down to about 70 pounds at its worst. Don't let your anxiety prevent you from eating! It can turn into a very bad cycle. The pain sucks I know but believe me allowing the fear to control you is worse. Take graval for your nausea and have you tried peppermint oil? It can really help. With IBS-c make sure you have enough fibre in your diet and liquids, eat small meals and if need be keep a food diary to see what can be trigger foods. The rumbling is from the GERD I get that to when my GERD flares up, make sure your not having alot of acidic stuff (pop, some juices, coffee I believe can be very bad!) GERD is basically your upper schinter opens up when it shouldnt and acid comes up thats why you feel that pain between your breasts. If your GERD medication isnt helping ask your doctor for something different, if its really to severe there is a surgery that they can do to help close it. Do you see a psychiatrist for your anxiety? It can really help and actually I have pretty severe anxiety and social disorder so I went to a cognitive behaviour therapy group and it helped me so much. Even if you dont have a social anxiety it has helped me alot just with learning proper breathing techniques, relaxation techniques and just in general its good all around with anxiety. I would reccommend seeing if you can get into a CBT group it would really help you with your anxiety. I know it can be really scary but IBS can't kill you it just really.... really sucks. Like alot lol.[/QUOTE]

jojokdz 11-08-2012 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=sasrei7;5085658]I know IBS can be very painful especially during flare ups same with GERD. I get extremely bad stomach pain/nausea and because of my IBS I can't work. IBS can be really effected by your anxiety and I have been in the same boat as you when I was too scared to eat because of the pain, and nauseated it got so bad my fear it ended up making me throw up quite alot.. I was down to about 70 pounds at its worst. Don't let your anxiety prevent you from eating! It can turn into a very bad cycle. The pain sucks I know but believe me allowing the fear to control you is worse. Take graval for your nausea and have you tried peppermint oil? It can really help. With IBS-c make sure you have enough fibre in your diet and liquids, eat small meals and if need be keep a food diary to see what can be trigger foods. The rumbling is from the GERD I get that to when my GERD flares up, make sure your not having alot of acidic stuff (pop, some juices, coffee I believe can be very bad!) GERD is basically your upper schinter opens up when it shouldnt and acid comes up thats why you feel that pain between your breasts. If your GERD medication isnt helping ask your doctor for something different, if its really to severe there is a surgery that they can do to help close it. Do you see a psychiatrist for your anxiety? It can really help and actually I have pretty severe anxiety and social disorder so I went to a cognitive behaviour therapy group and it helped me so much. Even if you dont have a social anxiety it has helped me alot just with learning proper breathing techniques, relaxation techniques and just in general its good all around with anxiety. I would reccommend seeing if you can get into a CBT group it would really help you with your anxiety. I know it can be really scary but IBS can't kill you it just really.... really sucks. Like alot lol.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply.. Everything u said is what I am exactly going thru. I am seeing a therapist who is working with me on the breathing exercises, relaxation techniques.. she is getting a group together soon and I am on that list. I can't wait to get started on this. My Dr. put me on different meds to help w/ the gerd and told me to follow a IBS diet. AND my Psychiatrist put me on a different med to try and alter my thinking and to calm me down, so these other health issues would calm down too. I am feeling a little bit better but still have pain from time to time, and that is scary and I just feel so run down, tired, like I got a flu .. but I am taking one day at a time. I just never ever thought IBS AND GERD could cause this kind of pain.. I knew heartburn but the pain and knawing pain was just awful.. and nausea ugh!! thanks so much...

sasrei7 11-08-2012 11:22 AM

I know it can be so rough, just like you say take it one day at a time. Yeah.. GERD can cause that annoying gnawing pain right between your breasts, its.. extremely annoying and wierd.. and hard to explain to a doctor lol. what kind of medication are you for your IBS? I take buscopan for mine, I have a spastic colon apparently.. Do you have a gastro doctor? There are alot of different meds to go on but its mostly knowing what works for your body. Have you been tested for lactose intolerence or celiac? IBS can really make life difficult and alot of people develop fear of eating just because of the pain.. its what sent me to an eating disorder unit where I had to be tube fed because I refused to eat, having a severe social anxiety didnt help the situation either cause my panic attacks made me throw up.. which isnt great when your infront of people with eating disorders.. when it gets really bad I still have to force myself to eat. Id rather have pain and nausea then that intense fear I had. Have you tried taking graval with ginger in it? Even just a low dose can help and with the ginger it doesnt make you feel so tired after. Being extremely constipated can make your stomach really painful, I take restolax if im not regular, laxatives can be very brutal on your stomach (dang that pain can be worse!) and it can make your intestines lazy.. IBS is frustrating in that doctors dont know whats wrong with you and its basically something youll have to probably always deal with. But its ok your not alone and these forums are great in just the encouragement you get from people. Sometimes just that alone is comforting.

jojokdz 11-08-2012 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=sasrei7;5085742]I know it can be so rough, just like you say take it one day at a time. Yeah.. GERD can cause that annoying gnawing pain right between your breasts, its.. extremely annoying and wierd.. and hard to explain to a doctor lol. what kind of medication are you for your IBS? I take buscopan for mine, I have a spastic colon apparently.. Do you have a gastro doctor? There are alot of different meds to go on but its mostly knowing what works for your body. Have you been tested for lactose intolerence or celiac? IBS can really make life difficult and alot of people develop fear of eating just because of the pain.. its what sent me to an eating disorder unit where I had to be tube fed because I refused to eat, having a severe social anxiety didnt help the situation either cause my panic attacks made me throw up.. which isnt great when your infront of people with eating disorders.. when it gets really bad I still have to force myself to eat. Id rather have pain and nausea then that intense fear I had. Have you tried taking graval with ginger in it? Even just a low dose can help and with the ginger it doesnt make you feel so tired after. Being extremely constipated can make your stomach really painful, I take restolax if im not regular, laxatives can be very brutal on your stomach (dang that pain can be worse!) and it can make your intestines lazy.. IBS is frustrating in that doctors dont know whats wrong with you and its basically something youll have to probably always deal with. But its ok your not alone and these forums are great in just the encouragement you get from people. Sometimes just that alone is comforting.[/QUOTE]

You have and still going thru alot. When I talk to others who have the same health issues as I DO , I don't feel so isolated.. And alone.. I have suffered with anxiety/panic disorder for many many years.. this alone makes u feel embarresed, alone, and afraid. The mind is so powerful. I am a hypochondriac and always feel like every little pain is something very wrong! I am going to die! Then over the years, I developed the digestive issues, and I have other health issues too but these are the worse! I sit in pain, and my mind says this is not normal, my heart races, I can't breath, and then off to the ER.. So I dont' know sometimes what comes first, anxiety or the stomach issues!!! But they all work to make my day/life miserable. I take metamuscil everyday to regulate me, and I have dicylomine (not sure of the spelling) for spasms.. 31/2 yrs. ago I HAD the upper/lower tests and DR. says I have IBS/gerd.. And as I said earlier have had numerous tests.. So I am watching my diet, and I am in dire need to lose weight, so I need to eat wisely but need to lose weight!!! that will help.. thanks for all ur help.. listening to me.. I hope all goes good for u... so happy there is a forum to chat with those who suffer as I do...

flipfleury 11-08-2012 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=jojokdz;5080534]I have posted several times before but I really need HELP! I am SCARED!!! I HAVE gerd/ IBS and severe anxiety.. I have suffered with these for a very long time. And have frequent flare ups! Dont know what happens first, but know they work very good together.. about 2 months ago, we had something very bad here happened and my anxiety/depression went sky high and my symptoms with my digestive system went nuts. I got the usual rumbling that happens up high in my chest and rumbles for hrs. and then I got pain and constipated which with my IBS its usually the opposite.. Then with the rumbling it caused a pain up under my left breast and dead center between my breasts, or where my stomach starts, lower esphagus.. It was awful. Still after all these weeks I am still getting the rumbling after anything I eat.. And it causes pain. I am nausea in the morning, low appetite, and when I get hungry I am so afraid to eat because of this happening... right now all is quiet, little nausea, but the minute I eat it will start. Went to the ER 3x in the past 3 months. Had x rays of my digestive system, stomach and colon. Had a chest xray, bloodwork, I had stress test,echo, EKG'S , ALOT of them.... KUB of my kidneys.. I had the endo/colonscopy 3 1/2 yrs ago... but right now my anxiety is telling me its something bad... cause how can this be just gerd and how can this be just IBS??? pLEASE HELP ME...[/QUOTE]

I have acid reflux,IBS alternating between constipation and diarrhea although my tends to be more often than not constipated. I know that every time I am stressed or am anxious about anything my IBS kicks in full bore with explosive diarrhea and severe cramping and am more nauseated and have more acid reflux problems. I have found that slow deep breathing exercises help bring my anxiety levels down then my IBS and acid reflux also start to calm down. I also have a relaxation cd I listen to while I do the breathing exercises.

noevr 11-08-2012 08:21 PM

hi, I have been thru this very recently, having two colonoscopies and an upper GI. Nausea has been AWFUL. I just went to an herbal store and bought some fennel tea, chammomile tea and some ginger candy. I also bought some food enzymes to take at every meal to aide in digestion. I'm also on something my dr. gave me for GERD. (stage 3) I haven't thrown up now in 5 days, yay!

When its bad I mix the two teas together, very relaxing to the mind and stomach. The ginger candy works almost immediately. I also have lorazapam to take it stops the tummy from spasming so much.

Please try the teas and candy if you can find a store that sell them, just be careful not to get a tea containing lemon, we don't need that.

You can also buy some ginger root from the grocery store and scrap it off into the tea and let it steep w/ the other teas and blend it too. Perfect mix. That warm tea feels so good on the tummy.

When I feel I can't eat but know I need to I sometimes will eat some applesauce, apples are supposed to be good too and its easy to get down.

Good luck hope this helps, Cathy

Twinkie50 11-09-2012 03:29 AM

Have you spoken to your doctor about a fibromyalgia diagnosis? Or, have you been tested for lyme disease? There is no real way to test for fibromyalgia besides the trigger points and basically ruling anything else out it could be. IBS and GERD I believe can cause lots of stomach discomfort and pain in the abdomen, but not sure about all your other pains... It took me 8 years to get a diagnosis of fibromyalgia (many years ago) but today there are many more doctors who actually BELIEVE its an illness and can help you. MaryAnn

greeneyez 1966 11-09-2012 06:26 AM

what is the diffrence between ibs and gerd?? i have been having similar symptoms as you but not sure which one it is .i dont get pain in my gut i just get alot of gas heartburn and some nausea and my stools are loose and yellow and now i developed internal hemorhoids and with all this anxiety im a total mess .i dont eat much and i only have one bm a day althou sometimes i feel like i have too go but i dont . any help on this would be great .

jojokdz 11-09-2012 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=greeneyez 1966;5086149]what is the diffrence between ibs and gerd?? i have been having similar symptoms as you but not sure which one it is .i dont get pain in my gut i just get alot of gas heartburn and some nausea and my stools are loose and yellow and now i developed internal hemorhoids and with all this anxiety im a total mess .i dont eat much and i only have one bm a day althou sometimes i feel like i have too go but i dont . any help on this would be great .[/QUOTE]

Hello! I can say they are 2 different things but can work hand in hand! Gerd is the stomach esphagus issues.. heartburn, chest pain at times, people after they eat complain of it, or at bedtime when they sleep.. IBS is your intenstines, colon, which can be loose stools, constipation or alternating ! That can cause pain, bloating gassy problems.. I had tests to confirm this years ago. And have the tests repeated every 4 years.. But recently as u read they both hit me about 6 weeks ago, and had the issues with them, flare ups all this time.. it just started to settle down. I didn't take it seriously enough.. I am overweight, don't smoke or drink just like to eat. Now I watch what goes in my mouth very seriously.. talk to your Dr. maybe by you explaining ur concerns they can try to on meds or u just changing ur eating habits first and see if that helps. Other wise see ur Dr. and get his opinion. Its not fun.. and stupid me, I played with fire for a long time, and this worse flare up for me ever just woke me up!!!!!

greeneyez 1966 11-10-2012 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=jojokdz;5086202]Hello! I can say they are 2 different things but can work hand in hand! Gerd is the stomach esphagus issues.. heartburn, chest pain at times, people after they eat complain of it, or at bedtime when they sleep.. IBS is your intenstines, colon, which can be loose stools, constipation or alternating ! That can cause pain, bloating gassy problems.. I had tests to confirm this years ago. And have the tests repeated every 4 years.. But recently as u read they both hit me about 6 weeks ago, and had the issues with them, flare ups all this time.. it just started to settle down. I didn't take it seriously enough.. I am overweight, don't smoke or drink just like to eat. Now I watch what goes in my mouth very seriously.. talk to your Dr. maybe by you explaining ur concerns they can try to on meds or u just changing ur eating habits first and see if that helps. Other wise see ur Dr. and get his opinion. Its not fun.. and stupid me, I played with fire for a long time, and this worse flare up for me ever just woke me up!!!!![/QUOTE]

did you have yellow stools with the ibs ??

jojokdz 11-10-2012 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=greeneyez 1966;5086711]did you have yellow stools with the ibs ??[/QUOTE]

Yes I do... did u have your gallbladder out? I heard both IBS and the lack of having a gallbladder can cause yellow stools..