HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   Constipation ugh! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/930608-constipation-ugh.html)

jojokdz 12-06-2012 05:12 AM

Constipation ugh!

I am 60 yrs old. I have Gerd/ibs. And anxiety. I always had a bowel movement every morning, sometimes normal and sometimes not but at least it was something. And when I had a day or so flare up, I would have IBS-d. About 8 weeks ago, my anxiety went thru the roof, and my entire digestive system went nuts... and I got constipated.. never before, maybe a few times but not like this! I have a pain under my left rib and in the middle between my breasts! Dr. says its where the colon bends and this is a spot where stool or gas gets trapped! I am miserable. Between this pain and not being able to go to the bathroom is awful.. One Dr. tells me to take mirilax, another says take metamuscil, my nutrionist says low fiber, to settle down my colon for a while, and do the mirilax.. I am scared because I Never got constipated before..

flipfleury 12-07-2012 09:47 PM

Re: Constipation ugh!

[QUOTE=jojokdz;5100117]I am 60 yrs old. I have Gerd/ibs. And anxiety. I always had a bowel movement every morning, sometimes normal and sometimes not but at least it was something. And when I had a day or so flare up, I would have IBS-d. About 8 weeks ago, my anxiety went thru the roof, and my entire digestive system went nuts... and I got constipated.. never before, maybe a few times but not like this! I have a pain under my left rib and in the middle between my breasts! Dr. says its where the colon bends and this is a spot where stool or gas gets trapped! I am miserable. Between this pain and not being able to go to the bathroom is awful.. One Dr. tells me to take mirilax, another says take metamuscil, my nutrionist says low fiber, to settle down my colon for a while, and do the mirilax.. I am scared because I Never got constipated before..[/QUOTE]

Drink lots of water daily(64 oz.) If you don't eat a lot of fiber then slowly increase it over a two week period to 25-30 grams a day. Try Citrucel or Metamucil at least twice a day. Make sure you drink at least 1 8 oz. glass of water after each dose . This will help you to maintain regularity and add bulk to your bowel movements making them easier to pass through the rectum and anus. One of the most things I have found to work for me to prevent me from getting constipated is to make sure I take time every morning to move my bowels even before I get into the shower. If I don't then I have to strain to go the next day and it hurts a lot. Listening to relaxing music and do slow deep breathing exercises helps me to go without pain. I hope this helps you get back to being able to move your bowels on a regular basis !

jojokdz 12-08-2012 06:15 AM

I started taking probiotics and drinking alot of water. I have been going somewhat in the mornings for the past 3 days.. its sort of brownish but when it flushes I can see yellow. I have no gall bladder and read that its something to do with the bile.. cause I no longer have the gall bladder ... I also have the gerd. Do you have Gerd? I also read that most ppl who have one will have the other.. IBS/GERD.. What a nightmare most days where one will aggravate the other.. and of course my severe anxiety which I know started them both years ago!!! Thanks for your advice

sasrei7 12-11-2012 09:26 AM

For sure try to eat more fibre and becareful which fibre you take cause well for me atleast a certain type of fibre makes my stomach bloat up to kingdom come. Try metamucil or Restrolax to get regular again or atleast help soften the stool. I actually take peppermint oil which helps, also yogurt can help as well as it is a good priobotic that can help your stomach. Peppermint oil is really good in that it also helps with bloating and stomach pain. Have you seen a psychiatrist about your anxiety? Anxiety can greatly effect how your body feels and stress as well. I also have gerd/ibs among.. well everything else lol and had extreme social anxiety that was really bad, I actually did cognitive behaviour therapy and it helped me alot! Do you take anything for your ibs/gerd? Also watch what foods you eat, alot of fatty foods/caffeine can be brutal to your stomach. Unfortunately with IBS all you can do is really help yourself, doctors can't do alot for you but prescribe pills that may or may not help you. Having a food diary and maybe a stress diary could help. IBS can contribute to your anxiety and vice versa.