HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   Any ideas? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/933129-any-ideas.html)

mszee 12-27-2012 06:57 AM

Any ideas?

Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?

Piano0105 01-21-2013 08:40 AM

Re: Any ideas?

I've always had IBS-C but lately it's gotten much worse. The only thing that really works for me is the liquid Milk of Magnesia. I try not to use it more than once a week. I also occasionally use Miralax but it causes bad bloating, and can sometimes take up to three days to work.

flipfleury 01-22-2013 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=mszee;5109311]Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?[/QUOTE]

I have IBS and have had chronic consipation problems all of my life. I can tell you what I have found that has worked the best for me. I use a glycerin suppository if I haven't moved my bowels within 48 hours of my last bowel movement. It can take up to 1 hour for it to work. I found that if I listen to relaxing music and I do slow deep breathing exercises then it makes it easier and less painful to move my bowels. The more I to try to force my bowels to move the more it hurts to go.
I do these 3 things every day to keep my bowels moving regularly:
1. I drink at least 64 oz. of water a day.
2. I eat a diet very high in fiber 25-30 grams a day.
3. I sit on the toilet for 30 minutes every day at the same time to move my bowels before I leave for work and church.
I eat a bowl of oatmeal and 6 stewed apricots or prunes for breakfast, 1 piece of fruit for lunch,and two vegeables high in fiber at dinner. Taking either Citrucel or metamucil 2-3 times a day will help you maintain regularity. Don't allow yourself to go more than 2 days in a row without moving your bowels. Use 1 glycerin suppository to help to go and don't strain. Use slow deep breathing exercises to help you to move your bowels. It's a lot less painful than straining.

hildygirl14 02-05-2013 11:16 AM

new med out now called Lizness

mszee 02-20-2013 12:55 PM

Thank for the ideas.. I will look for the article and I will also ask my GI dr about the Lizness. Never heard of either.