It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

mszee HB User
Any ideas?

Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
Re: Any ideas?

I've always had IBS-C but lately it's gotten much worse. The only thing that really works for me is the liquid Milk of Magnesia. I try not to use it more than once a week. I also occasionally use Miralax but it causes bad bloating, and can sometimes take up to three days to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszee View Post
Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?
I have IBS and have had chronic consipation problems all of my life. I can tell you what I have found that has worked the best for me. I use a glycerin suppository if I haven't moved my bowels within 48 hours of my last bowel movement. It can take up to 1 hour for it to work. I found that if I listen to relaxing music and I do slow deep breathing exercises then it makes it easier and less painful to move my bowels. The more I to try to force my bowels to move the more it hurts to go.
I do these 3 things every day to keep my bowels moving regularly:
1. I drink at least 64 oz. of water a day.
2. I eat a diet very high in fiber 25-30 grams a day.
3. I sit on the toilet for 30 minutes every day at the same time to move my bowels before I leave for work and church.
I eat a bowl of oatmeal and 6 stewed apricots or prunes for breakfast, 1 piece of fruit for lunch,and two vegeables high in fiber at dinner. Taking either Citrucel or metamucil 2-3 times a day will help you maintain regularity. Don't allow yourself to go more than 2 days in a row without moving your bowels. Use 1 glycerin suppository to help to go and don't strain. Use slow deep breathing exercises to help you to move your bowels. It's a lot less painful than straining.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
(male)

hildygirl14 HB User

new med out now called Lizness

Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

mszee HB User

Thank for the ideas.. I will look for the article and I will also ask my GI dr about the Lizness. Never heard of either.

Closed Thread