It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

girlnairb HB User
Excessive Straining

I have had IBS since I was 12 and I'm now 28. For the most part it has been under control with fiber powder and a probiotic. The problem that has popped up in the last month is that often when I have a bowel movement my stomach makes me strain to get it out. When I have these bouts of straining I usually end up having to go 3-4 times within a couple of hours and each time I have to strain. I can't stop the straining, basically my stomach is making me strain. The stool is not hard and I'm not constipated because I go just about every day. It really concerns me because I've had diverticulitis before and I know this can cause that and lots of other problems as well. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to help this or what might be causing this? Any help would be great! Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Excessive Straining

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlnairb View Post
I have had IBS since I was 12 and I'm now 28. For the most part it has been under control with fiber powder and a probiotic. The problem that has popped up in the last month is that often when I have a bowel movement my stomach makes me strain to get it out. When I have these bouts of straining I usually end up having to go 3-4 times within a couple of hours and each time I have to strain. I can't stop the straining, basically my stomach is making me strain. The stool is not hard and I'm not constipated because I go just about every day. It really concerns me because I've had diverticulitis before and I know this can cause that and lots of other problems as well. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to help this or what might be causing this? Any help would be great! Thanks
It sounds like your lower colon(sigmoid and rectum) are going to into more like spasms. You might try taking slow deep breaths and hold it to the count of ten and slowly exhale through pursed lips.Keep doing this until you have moved your bowels. Maybe don't be in hurry to clean up and get off the toilet right away to make sure your body is done expelling stool. Hopefully, this will relax your lower colon muscles. Also, you might try gently massaging your lower left quadrant of your abdomen where the sigmoid colon and rectum are while you're trying to move your bowels and maybe it might help push the stool down the colon quicker and to relax that area of the colon. If you have a hot water bottle or heating pad and place it on the lower left quadrant of your abdomen on low leaveit there while you move your bowels. The warm heat will relax your abdominal muscles. I don't if any of these things will work to help your excessive straining to move your bowels but it's worth a try. i hope one of these suggesions will help you to a much less painful bm's.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
girlnairb (01-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

girlnairb HB User
Re: Excessive Straining

Thanks so much for this information, I will certainly give it a try. It's not something that happens every day, but when it does, I don't know how to make it stop. I have tried the breathing thing if for no other reason but trying to make my stomach not want to push. I guess I just couldn't figure out why it would be this way when I'm not constipated and the stool is not hard. It wears me out for the rest of the day when it does happen because the straining is so hard and it can definitely interfere with getting to work on time in the mornings. Thank you so much again!!!

Closed Thread