It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

kmcsp HB User
IBS/Constipation, or Spleen?

Ok, this is a long story, but I will do my best. I appreciate your help.

I have been experiencing minor, but consistent, pain near and around my left rib cage near my abdomen for about 3-4 months now. It usually is a bit sharp/stingy, but very localized. Sometimes it is more of a rubbing pain towards my sides. It is usually never a deep pain (maybe only once). A few times it has been more severe and shooting. Sometimes the pain is like a muscle catching or cramping near the sides (both left and right). Sometimes when I bend to the left I can feel a "bulge" there, and usually when I can feel that I can also push around what I think is a gas bubble or maybe even my colon right under the left rib cage. Does that seem right?

I have been more constipated lately. Not that I can't go for days, but I feel blocked up, I can only pass a little in small amounts, and usually feel there is more to pass.

A few times I have experienced diarrhea, but more so constipation.

I never have lower abdominal pain like I've read is common with IBS, but sometimes more stomach "gargling" and gas.

Here's the rub: My spleen is at 12.2cm according to a CT scan, but the hematologist I saw was completely unconcerned. I have had all normal blood work.

I am hypothyroid. My last TSH was a 4.9 in November.

My gastro said I had mild gastritis and a hiatal hernia after doing an upper endoscopy.

Tested negative for hepatitis, celiacs

So, could my pain be from constipation/IBS? Or my spleen?

I am more concerned right now because I recently found out I am 5 weeks pregnant, and am worried this could be the start of something more severe if it is my spleen.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by kmcsp; 01-16-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more info that I forgot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: IBS/Constipation, or Spleen?

Hi I have recently been thru something similar but I think my pain was worse like an 8. I had tons of tests X-rays colonoscopy upper hi ctscan belly, hida sca Mrcp ultrasound of gallbladder everything normal.

But then I remembered I took cipro antibiotic dec 12 for uti. Looked it up and chest and rib pain is side effect and I confirmed with pharmacist. Levaquin can also do it there are a couple of them that can do this. Have you taken any of these?

By the way I ask my gastro dr if it was my spleen and he said no so I would ask yours.

I went to my pain mgt dr. And he gave me steroid inj in my ribs and its really helped.

Don't know if any of this helped. Cathy.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

kmcsp HB User

Thank you, Cathy. I have not been able to pin point any medications I would have taken that could have caused this. The only thing I take is levothyroxine because I have hypothyroidism. My gastro has given me alot of "could be's" when it comes to what is causing my discomfort. But at my last appointment, he told me he gives me five stars of health and that I was good to go. But I simply do not believe it because then why would I have consistent pain/discomfort. It doesn't make sense.

I did get a call back from my endocrinologist today (I missed it though), saying he wants to discuss my TSH results. I'm really hoping that my TSH is high, causing constipation, which is causing the pain. I want to believe the hematologist that my spleen is fine! Of course, I will still ask for occasional ultrasounds, especially during pregnancy, to avoid a potentially serious situation if it were to become significantly larger.

Thank you for your reply!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I have hypothyroidism as well! Oh yeah there are lidoderm patches by prescription check with on/gynof course but they are topical and nub the area. When I get constipated I take miralax again ck with on/gun works really gently but well. Cathy

Closed Thread