It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Any ideas???

I was diagnosed with IBS around 16 years ago, and I have had some nasty flare ups over the years... stress plays a big part in my life, and it always seems to effect this condition. I always had troubles with my bowels as a child too, and suffered with the most horrendous constipation, which rendered me in hospital a few times.... anyways, over the past 2-3 months, things have changed...

I have been having a sharp pain in my left side, and really thought it was coming from my ovary (I have had cysts on both ovaries too and probs with that part of my body too unfortunately). So I got it checked out, and had a scan etc, it seems the pain can't be coming from my ovary, as the left ovary seems ok now, and the doctor did say, it could be coming from the lower part of the bowel, we are going to see how things go, before any further investigations are done - this is my choice too, as I have too much going on at the moment, I have cervical spinal and shoulder problems, which are undergoing treatment, and am waiting to have all my teeth removed due to advanced gum disease, so really have a lot to deal with just now, so I am aware it is probably just a flare up with IBS... but it really doesn't feel like the kind of flare ups i have had before... I am aware of the stabbing, stitch like pain in my left side most of the day, it goes from fairly dull, to at times, really sharp, enough for me to yell out, and for the past 2 days, I have had abdominal pain...the pain seems to be radiating into my upper leg aswell???? for a while now, going to the toilet has been a real effort, it almost feels at times, like the muscle in my back passage has gone to sleep, so although not constipated, it is an effort to pass what needs passing (sorry if that is too graphic).. I feel bloated a lot of the time too.. in the past, it has been more stomach spasms, and diahreah to constipation...
I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, as to whether it is just a flare up of IBS, or whether the symptoms relate to something else.

Sorry for my waffle, and thanks in advance for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Any ideas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybearhugs View Post
I was diagnosed with IBS around 16 years ago, and I have had some nasty flare ups over the years... stress plays a big part in my life, and it always seems to effect this condition. I always had troubles with my bowels as a child too, and suffered with the most horrendous constipation, which rendered me in hospital a few times.... anyways, over the past 2-3 months, things have changed...

I have been having a sharp pain in my left side, and really thought it was coming from my ovary (I have had cysts on both ovaries too and probs with that part of my body too unfortunately). So I got it checked out, and had a scan etc, it seems the pain can't be coming from my ovary, as the left ovary seems ok now, and the doctor did say, it could be coming from the lower part of the bowel, we are going to see how things go, before any further investigations are done - this is my choice too, as I have too much going on at the moment, I have cervical spinal and shoulder problems, which are undergoing treatment, and am waiting to have all my teeth removed due to advanced gum disease, so really have a lot to deal with just now, so I am aware it is probably just a flare up with IBS... but it really doesn't feel like the kind of flare ups i have had before... I am aware of the stabbing, stitch like pain in my left side most of the day, it goes from fairly dull, to at times, really sharp, enough for me to yell out, and for the past 2 days, I have had abdominal pain...the pain seems to be radiating into my upper leg aswell???? for a while now, going to the toilet has been a real effort, it almost feels at times, like the muscle in my back passage has gone to sleep, so although not constipated, it is an effort to pass what needs passing (sorry if that is too graphic).. I feel bloated a lot of the time too.. in the past, it has been more stomach spasms, and diahreah to constipation...
I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, as to whether it is just a flare up of IBS, or whether the symptoms relate to something else.

Sorry for my waffle, and thanks in advance for reading.
I have had IBS about the same amount of time as you have. I also have had chronic constipation problems as a child and well into my adult years. It's definately very painful and miserable to have bowel problems all the time. I can understand your pain and misery.
I get lower left abdominal pain very similar to what you're describing. Most of the time it's lots of trapped gas which usually causes more bloating. My trapped gas is usually because I haven't moved my bowels in 2 or more days.
This is what I do to relieve as much trapped gas as possible. I go sit on the toilet and place my right hand just below my belly button and I push inward and downward to try to expel as much gas as possible. To help me move my bowels without straining I instead slow deep breathing exercises.. I take ten slow deep breaths and hold each breath to the count of fifteen and slowly exhale through pursed lips. I keep repeating the ten slow deep breaths cycle until I have been able to move my bowels. This seems to helps the stool to move down the sigmoid colon and rectum easier and to push the stool out without me having to strain. It's a lot less painful and then I am able to expel the rest of the gas that was trapped. Because I am usually constipated as well as having trapped gas,it can take me as long as 30 minutes before I can move my bowels and pass gas. Have you ever tried using a glycerin suppository when you feel like you're having problems passing stool ? It can help make it easier to go.
I know for me the more stress I am under the more IBS symptoms are intensified and the more abdominal pain I have from gas and bowel moving problems. This is when I either go from diarrhea for up to as long as 2 hours with severe abdominal spasms to not being able to move my bowels for more than 2 days or more. I have learned now not allow myself to go beyond 2 days in a row without moving my bowels. I will use a glycerin suppository now when I have reached the 2 days without going. Most of time I now when I get constipated it's because I don't eat enough fiber,drink enough water, take time to move my bowels in the morning before I leave for work or church. When I get lazy about my routine so do my bowels get lazy and not move on a regular basis.
Sometimes listening to relaxing music while doing the slow deep breathing exercises helps me to relax my mind and in turn my muscles relax making it easier to go. listening to the music while doing the breathing exercises helps to take your mind off your worries and troubles because you have to concentrate on breathing slowly and deeply. I have found the CD's with sofly falling rain or ocean waves help me to relax the most. I hope I have given you some tips to help your IBS symptoms to calm down some.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Re: Any ideas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
I have had IBS about the same amount of time as you have. I also have had chronic constipation problems as a child and well into my adult years. It's definately very painful and miserable to have bowel problems all the time. I can understand your pain and misery.
I get lower left abdominal pain very similar to what you're describing. Most of the time it's lots of trapped gas which usually causes more bloating. My trapped gas is usually because I haven't moved my bowels in 2 or more days.
This is what I do to relieve as much trapped gas as possible. I go sit on the toilet and place my right hand just below my belly button and I push inward and downward to try to expel as much gas as possible. To help me move my bowels without straining I instead slow deep breathing exercises.. I take ten slow deep breaths and hold each breath to the count of fifteen and slowly exhale through pursed lips. I keep repeating the ten slow deep breaths cycle until I have been able to move my bowels. This seems to helps the stool to move down the sigmoid colon and rectum easier and to push the stool out without me having to strain. It's a lot less painful and then I am able to expel the rest of the gas that was trapped. Because I am usually constipated as well as having trapped gas,it can take me as long as 30 minutes before I can move my bowels and pass gas. Have you ever tried using a glycerin suppository when you feel like you're having problems passing stool ? It can help make it easier to go.
I know for me the more stress I am under the more IBS symptoms are intensified and the more abdominal pain I have from gas and bowel moving problems. This is when I either go from diarrhea for up to as long as 2 hours with severe abdominal spasms to not being able to move my bowels for more than 2 days or more. I have learned now not allow myself to go beyond 2 days in a row without moving my bowels. I will use a glycerin suppository now when I have reached the 2 days without going. Most of time I now when I get constipated it's because I don't eat enough fiber,drink enough water, take time to move my bowels in the morning before I leave for work or church. When I get lazy about my routine so do my bowels get lazy and not move on a regular basis.
Sometimes listening to relaxing music while doing the slow deep breathing exercises helps me to relax my mind and in turn my muscles relax making it easier to go. listening to the music while doing the breathing exercises helps to take your mind off your worries and troubles because you have to concentrate on breathing slowly and deeply. I have found the CD's with sofly falling rain or ocean waves help me to relax the most. I hope I have given you some tips to help your IBS symptoms to calm down some.
Thank you so very much, for taking the time out to read and reply to my post.
Your suggestions, are really great.. I do have to admit, I have sometimes, got lazy with my bowel habits, I think when there is so much other stuff going on, and a house full of other people, all in a rush for the bathroom, its too easy, to ignore the urge to go the toilet or rush yourself etc... I always used to have a proper routine each day, and that helped loads, now I don't have a routine at all, so am probably making my symptoms worse too, than they could be.
Thank you again for your advice, it is very greatly appreciated.
Best Wishes to you xxxx

Reply Reply