It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
(female)

SurfB HB User
Is it really IBS?

Hi everyone,
For the last two months i have been suffering from pain in right top part of my abdomen (left if looking at me) pretty much under my ribs and almost constant nausea (not physically being sick). In the last two weeks the pain is worse and has gone through to my back. Its like an ache but then i have periods of intense stabbing pains. At first i thought it was triggered by food but now there seems to be no real pattern. I have taken anti sickness tablets and anti spasm tabs but nothing seems to work. I have had an upper endoscopy (looking for stomach ulcers) and an ultra-scan (looking for gallstones) which were fine. My bloods are generally normal but my white blood cells are often slightly raised along CRP levels and my temp is generally about 67. Last week i was omitted to hospital for three days as the pain was so intense only to be told the doctors who initially thought i had gallstones, had no clue what was causing the pain and probably never will. Today my GI consultant told me he doesn't know what it is, it is probably IBS. I am not happy with his opinion as the only similar symptom to IBS is bloating, i have normal bowel movement and not relieved by going to the toilet or passing wind. I still think there is something wrong with my gallbladder, maybe it isn't functioning? They have done numerous blood tests including liver function, celiac disease etc and all normal. They have done lots of urine tests which when dipped show some abnormalities but grow nothing when sent of. I have always suffered from bladder infections since I was 5 but i am pretty sure it is unrelated. The consultant also said he didn't want to give me any painkillers because of my age and basically said just deal with it as there is nothing they can do. I haven't been able to go to school and as my exams are approaching i really need something to help me. Oh i am also constantly tired and my joints and muscles ache as if i have been at the gym all day. I am also woken up pretty much every night by pain or feeling really sick(never actually being sick.)

Hope someone has some useful advice because i have no clue what to do about it.

The following user gives a hug of support to SurfB:
sasrei7 (04-23-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
(female)

sasrei7 HB Usersasrei7 HB User
Re: Is it really IBS?

I am sorry to hear about your pain. IBS is pretty much diagnosed to anyone with stomach/pelvic pain, bad bowel movements and IBS can differ greatly in severity. Does it hurt after you eat? People say that people with IBS feel better after having a bowel movement... well I beg to differ lol. Do you have certain foods that make you worse? Id see if maybe you can get a ct scan done as well. I figure it never hurts to cover all your bases.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

SurfB HB User
Re: Is it really IBS?

Thamks for your reply I don't think food makes in worse expect maybe heavy, greasy food like pizza. But now I have cut out all gluten from my diet as theye expected i had an intolerance (possibly cealic but turns out i dont) but this has made no difference. Another thing, i stopped eating for about a week (i lost my appetite and thought food was causing my pain-but it didnt make a difference) and if i did eat anything it would be a little bit of plain roasted chicken and throughout that time i did not lose any weight. I thought that was very strange.

Reply Reply