It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

Leah1976 HB User
Scared of Cat Scan

hello,

I was diagnosed with IBS about 13 years ago. I had a colonoscopy, stool test, blood work, a breath test (I forget what that was for) and everything was clear so i was diagnosed with IBS.

Symptoms include diarrhea, sometimes constipation, abdominal pain, colon pain, gas, burping a lot.

About 5 year ago I had another colonoscopy that was negative

About 4 years ago I had a bad flair up and I had stool test done and showed Blastocystis hominis parasite infection. I was put on flagyl and felt better.

Recently (6 months ago) I been having lots of stress (I moved, had a baby, my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, etc) and my IBS starting acting up and I am having bad episodes... mainly diarrhea as soon as I wake up in the morning. Burping a lot and cramping.

I just went to my family doctor the other day because I had a terrible attack (brought I think by change in diet, whey protein, fruit, nuts, daily salads) and found out my doctor left the practice so I saw someone new. He said it could be IBS but really could be anything! He sent me for blood work, celiac, CBC, and others, plus stool tests, and he wants an abdominal and pelvic cat scan.

I have never had a CAT scan before and I am sooooo afraid they will find something terribly wrong with me.

Anyone else had a abdominal/pelvic scan scan due to their IBS?????

I pray that it's just my IBS acting up or parasites again. After 2 days of eating just rice and bananas my pain went away and the burping is better. I still have soft stools.

Does this sound like I still have IBS? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Leah1976; 05-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Scared of Cat Scan

I think your new Dr is being thorough and not wanting to miss something important. He probably wants the CT scan to rule out Crohn's, a good idea. I think once you have it, you will be relieved. Whatever shows up, at least you will know what it is and it may be more easily treatable than IBS. The CT scan itself is no big deal, like an xray. This may be a good opportunity to feel better than you have in a long time!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I think your new Dr is being thorough and not wanting to miss something important. He probably wants the CT scan to rule out Crohn's, a good idea. I think once you have it, you will be relieved. Whatever shows up, at least you will know what it is and it may be more easily treatable than IBS. The CT scan itself is no big deal, like an xray. This may be a good opportunity to feel better than you have in a long time!
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes that's what he said, also because he doesn't "know me". he said you can see chron's or diverticulatis, etc.

have you had a Cat scan done of abdomen and pelvis?

I feel better today after 3 days of just eating bananas, rice, and pretzel. My cramps went away and burping/bloating is better.... I still had lose stools this morning though.....

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I did once to rule out diverticulitis. I'm in that age group, have a family history and had serious abdominal pain. The CT is no big deal. You might want to know beforehand if it is ordered with contrast or not. They can give you oral contrast to drink or IV contrast, depending on what they are looking for. I would guess yours would be oral, but you might check, just so you aren't hit with surprises.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
(male)

com77 HB User

Keep us informed. A lot of people post on these forums and never follow up with the results, so let us know the results of your exam.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Hi guys,

Yes I had the CAT scan done and it was all normal. Thank God! My blood work was normal too (CBC, metabolic panel, celiac test). My stool test for parasites, etc was also negative....

I have an appointment with the gastro tomorrow. I feel better though but I am still going as I made the appointment 2 weeks ago. It's probably just my old IBS. I had for 13 years now. I am 36.

I just hope that I am done with testing... but I do wonder if the gastro will give me an endoscopy. I had 2 colonoscopies in the past. One 13 years ago and another one 5 years ago... all clear!

Thanks for following up with me, I will post tomorrow what the gastro says!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Hi guys,

Just to follow up.... I just had my appointment with the gastro. He was extremely nice. He is the head of the gastro department at my local hospital. He said basically IBS. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with me given my blood work, celiac, stool tests and cat scan are all normal. And that I have had 2 colonospies in the past 13 years and lots of other testing. He does want to repeat the parasite test in 3 months just in case when I have to go back to see him since I had blastocitis hominis 4 years ago.

So this is what he suggested:

- He gave me samples of Align (probiotic), which I need to take every day. He says it does help a lot with IBS
- He prescribed Bentyl to take as need it.
- He wants to keep a food diary for the next 3 months to see if I have food intolerance. He did mention the FODmaps diet but he said that I may tolerate certain things in the diet or not. that's why he wants me to keep a log and share it with him in 3 months.

That was it!!!

IBS is VERY frustrating but thank God manageable!!!

Has any of you taken Align????

I hope we can all find ways to feel better with this IBS!!!

Cheers!

Leah!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

You sound just like me! I am 35 and I have been dealing with this hell for just as long as you. I am going to have a ct scan next week without contrast. Did you have contrast? I have had 3 colonoscopy's and 2 endoscopys. I have a hiatal hernia. I get horrible nausea also! I will try the align. I have taken probiotics before but never that one. lets keep in touch.
Carly

Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
(male)

ibssolved HB User

Over the years I have had all kinds of symptoms. What I suggest is if you are having any stomach pains at all continue to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy every year. These are very important, saved my life. The Catscan most likely will not find anything but have it done. By the way I am allergic to the Iodine drip they give you. It might be a good idea to take two benedril tablets before the test, if they don't tell you or prescribe that.

It is normal o get those scans they are covering all the bases.

Last edited by ibssolved; 06-09-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibssolved View Post
Over the years I have had all kinds of symptoms. What I suggest is if you are having any stomach pains at all continue to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy every year. These are very important, saved my life. The Catscan most likely will not find anything but have it done. By the way I am allergic to the Iodine drip they give you. It might be a good idea to take two benedril tablets before the test, if they don't tell you or prescribe that.

I honestly could not imagine having a colonoscopy and doing that horrible clean out once a year.....I have had 3 and I am only 34. I am also allergic to the ioodine and I take benydril and prednisone days prior. I am not having contrast with this ct scan. I am more wooried about the radiation that the ct produces. next up is a hida scan to check the gallbladder.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
(male)

ibssolved HB User

You are probably right about the colonoscopys every year, I have to do it every year, you shouldnt have to. I just wouldnt wait so long if you continue to have problems, I think four years is way to long for someone with stomach issues.

Also those mini tests they do without putting you out and only check half your colon are extremely painful called sigmoidoscopy, I wont have those done anymore either. They also have some virtual colonoscopy, which I think is probably a waste of time as well.

They do prescribe benedril and predizone for the iodine allergy. They used to have me take just the benedril, the last time I went to a different clinic and they had me take both. That is the last time I will do that. My immune system got so low I wound up with shingles. If you look up shingles, it can be actived by predizone. Shingles are awful, I will never take predizone again.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
You sound just like me! I am 35 and I have been dealing with this hell for just as long as you. I am going to have a ct scan next week without contrast. Did you have contrast? I have had 3 colonoscopy's and 2 endoscopys. I have a hiatal hernia. I get horrible nausea also! I will try the align. I have taken probiotics before but never that one. lets keep in touch.
Carly

Hi Carly,

Mine was without contrast. Good luck and please keep us posted!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
(female)

Leah1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibssolved View Post

Why every year? that sounds overkill..... do you have IBS?

Is the CAT scan not a good test?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
(female)

Leah1976 HB User
Re: Scared of Cat Scan - Now I have GERD?

Just an update...

Last week i developed really bad heart burn. It's been constant... really bad.... and the belching doesn't stop. I called the Gi doctor on Monday as I didn't have heartburn when I went to see him a few weeks ago and he prescribed Omeprazole but also wants an endoscopy to see if I have inflammation. They also wants to do a biopsy to look for H. Pylori.

I am now freaking out about the endoscopy... I hope they don't find something terrible... the only thing that keeps my mind at ease is that my cat scan was clear and all my blood work is ok.

Please wish me luck tomorrow....

Anyone here have IBS and also GERD???? how do you manage both conditions?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
(male)

ibssolved HB User
Re: Scared of Cat Scan - Now I have GERD?

You may have acid reflux its very common, usually an endosopy finds that. I was having bad stomach pains after going to the bathroom, I think my ulcers are still giving me problems from the pylori. I started on Prilosec and with that in combination with the Welchol, A lot of my issues are gone. I no longer have stomach pain.

I also stopped all sodas and drinks besides water, added Prilosec and the Welchol all in the past month. I plan on getting a breath test to make sure the h-pylori is totally gone, its been almost 5 moths since my treatment, and test afterwards, I want to make sure that is totally gone.

I have a bunch of questions for my primary next month. I have a few prescriptions and want to eliminate some if possible. Lost a few more pounds as I have been cutting back on a lot of fatty, high calorie foods, fried foods and drinks. I eat chicken all the time now.

Closed Thread