It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

k9love HB User
Colonoscopy, has everyone had one?

Just wondered as I never have and they still say IBS with my symptoms.

Ive had various blood tests, ultra sounds,etc etc and all were negative but Im still getting right sided pain and diarreah in the mornings, so has everyone on here had to have a Colonoscopy to be diagnosed with IBS?

Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to k9love:
MountainReader (09-26-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

ingi4711 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy, has everyone had one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9love View Post
Just wondered as I never have and they still say IBS with my symptoms.

Ive had various blood tests, ultra sounds,etc etc and all were negative but Im still getting right sided pain and diarreah in the mornings, so has everyone on here had to have a Colonoscopy to be diagnosed with IBS?

Thanks.
All my tests, including colonoscopies and endoscopies every five years, are mostly normal, except for the age-related digestive problems and GERD. Was diagnosed with IBS after first colonoscopy. Mine is pretty much diarrhea, but have lately experienced some constipation also. Wouldn't hurt to have a colonoscopy to rule out other problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I have had two Colonoscopys, because of alternating constipation and diareah also weight loss.
I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease and also IBS.
It is generally suggested by your Dr whether a Colonoscopy is appropriate but theres no harm in asking if you could have one. Age was a factor for me having one.

Solofelix.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

k9love HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingi4711 View Post
All my tests, including colonoscopies and endoscopies every five years, are mostly normal, except for the age-related digestive problems and GERD. Was diagnosed with IBS after first colonoscopy. Mine is pretty much diarrhea, but have lately experienced some constipation also. Wouldn't hurt to have a colonoscopy to rule out other problems.
Thanks for your reply.

I have Gerd too, I would have thought my doc would have suggested a Colonoscopy?

Im pretty worried as Im having diarrhea most mornings now and thats a new symptom for me, can I just request a Colonoscopy?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
(male)

Power on HB User
I just recently had my first colonoscopy 2 month ago because of many of the issues talked about on here my PCP recommended I get one due to family history of cancer
So my PCP sent me to the GI dr who then set me up based on the info I gave him and performed the procedure. Worst part was prep before

Cheers

Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had my first Colonoscopy 1 week after my acid reflux surgery. Talk about unfortunate timing. My IBS developed when my acid reflux was at it's worst. I had horrible "D". Mostly worse in the mornings too, but sometimes lasting all day. I think the diagnosis of IBS is usually a diagnosis when everything else is ruled out. At least that is how it was explained to me. I'd had lots of blood work, stool samples, colonoscopy, biopsies, etc...

I used to think that the "D" was so bad in the am because of the nighttime reflux. Now, I don't know. I tend to alter in severity at times. It has been 5 years since my diagnosis.

Anyway, the colonoscopy was nice and easy for me, other than turning on my side a week after abdominal surgery. They woke me a few seconds too soon though and I got to see my insides as the camera came out. A bit disconcerting, but not a problem.

The worst part for me if figuring out to deal with the "D" without causing "C".

The constant severe "D" can also be really tough on my work life too. Some days it was too much to have a 20 minute drive to work.

Hope you get some good answers with your scope.

Closed Thread