It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
(female)

Lady221 HB User
Slippery Elm helps!

I have had IBS-D for 2 years. Nothing I have tried has helped. I finally tried slippery elm (375mg 2x a day) and my horrible cramps are gone. I am so happy about this, that I had to post here. Dr's are clueless about it. I can't skip a day or the cramps will come back. Just Google "slippery elm and IBS" and you will see several articles on it. It has been a lifesaver.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Slippery Elm helps!

Glad to hear you have found something helpful.
Quite often the simplest of things help the most, long may it continue,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Lady221 (11-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Thanks so much. I just want people to be aware that this can possibly help them too.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady221 View Post
I have had IBS-D for 2 years. Nothing I have tried has helped. I finally tried slippery elm (375mg 2x a day) and my horrible cramps are gone. I am so happy about this, that I had to post here. Dr's are clueless about it. I can't skip a day or the cramps will come back. Just Google "slippery elm and IBS" and you will see several articles on it. It has been a lifesaver.
Glad to hear it helps you for your IBS-D. For those of you have IBS-C, slippery elm can help with relieving your constipation and help you to maintain regularity.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Lady221 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
(female)

Lady221 HB User

I have not wanted to try Bentyl. I am so happy this works. Try this first my friends

Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

Bridgett1965 HB User

I take Slippery Elm 2 capsules 400 mg each twice a day. I also take Ginger Root twice a day as well as a teaspoon of Heather's tummy fiber twice a day. I even go as far as eating an Activea yogurt every day.

While I think the combo is helping, it doesn't "work" for me. I still have so many issues. However, I know it helps since the day after I miss my regimine I am a mess!! I have dealt with this IBS-D for well over 20 years now! Along with this I have developed panic and anxiety disorders which bring on a whole new set of symptoms! My job has been in jeopardy and even though I want out of my current job I am "afraid" to find another as I fear they will not understand either.

This has been a never ending battle of tests and trials. Give this up. Try that. See what might be trigger foods. Although I give up some things I love and then just have have it and I get no ill effects! I think oh wow I can eat that!! Then the next time WHAM I'm sicker then a dog!!!

Good luck to you lady! I hope the slippery elm works for you. I have also taken the Bentyl but it didn't control it either. I wish you all the best!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Bridgett1965:
Lady221 (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgett1965 View Post
I take Slippery Elm 2 capsules 400 mg each twice a day. I also take Ginger Root twice a day as well as a teaspoon of Heather's tummy fiber twice a day. I even go as far as eating an Activea yogurt every day.

While I think the combo is helping, it doesn't "work" for me. I still have so many issues. However, I know it helps since the day after I miss my regimine I am a mess!! I have dealt with this IBS-D for well over 20 years now! Along with this I have developed panic and anxiety disorders which bring on a whole new set of symptoms! My job has been in jeopardy and even though I want out of my current job I am "afraid" to find another as I fear they will not understand either.

This has been a never ending battle of tests and trials. Give this up. Try that. See what might be trigger foods. Although I give up some things I love and then just have have it and I get no ill effects! I think oh wow I can eat that!! Then the next time WHAM I'm sicker then a dog!!!

Good luck to you lady! I hope the slippery elm works for you. I have also taken the Bentyl but it didn't control it either. I wish you all the best!!
It's a terrible disease and you just never know. One day you can be great and the next wham! I've been doing great on it. Then the other day I took 2 Tylenol. It KILLED me. I cannot take Advil or Tylenol, haven't tried aspirin yet. Too afraid. Best to you too!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
(female)

Socallady HB User

Have you tried Paxil?I have heard that it can help.

Last edited by Socallady; 11-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
(female)

Lady221 HB User

No I haven't. I really wanted to stay away from medications if at all possible.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
(female)

Socallady HB User

I to wanted to stay away from Paxil too,however I could not take getting up every night around 2:30 in pain. I am willing to try it. Been on it for two weeks it takes three weeks to work.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socallady View Post
I to wanted to stay away from Paxil too,however I could not take getting up every night around 2:30 in pain. I am willing to try it. Been on it for two weeks it takes three weeks to work.
Good to know. I know that pain... UGH

Old 11-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
(female)

vegea HB User

does slippery elm also help with gas?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegea View Post
does slippery elm also help with gas?
I don't have gas and those painful cramps when taking it. As far as diarrhea, it has helped maybe 50% better. I have to take it 2x a day. If I forget, I get the cramping/gas back again.

Give it a try. It can't hurt. It started helping after a few days. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
(female)

Socallady HB User

Been on Paxil for one month for IBS now.It is working great.No getting up all night for trips to the bathroom.worth trying.

Reply Reply