It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Re: The Purpose of life?

Regardless of what the purpose of life is, we should all be thankful that we are alive in this world. We don't know exactly what will happen to us after that. Being "Me" is once in a life-time.

I guess the only sad part to life is that we are controlled by laws, regulations ...and therefore we don't really have that much freedom.
Sometimes I just wanted to live my childhood years again, where everything was easy and innocent - that I don't have to worry about paying my bills etc.

I guess the real reason why you want to know what life's purpose is because you are not happy with your current situation.

I am in my 30's and still live with my parents. My first job was a night shift labourer, where I had to stack heavy egg cartons. I remember I felt really depressed because of the cold air at night and I kept asking myself how a uni student like myself ended up in such job?

All I can guarantee you is that in life, there are ups and downs...Change is inevitable - it's part of life - so be assure that your situation will change. I don't mind living my parents - there's nothing to be ashame of - don't worry what others think - my parents are old.. I help out with washing the dishes and other duties...and I'm going to cheerish those remaining years I have with them.

I guess in order to find out the purpose of life - you need to set goals and stick to them... and you may also need to create your own rules.

For me, my rules are: to live a life with no regrets...that is to do things right so that I don't regret about any past mistakes. I don't want the past to haunting me in the future. Things like, not finishing off my uni degree when I was young has already haunted me.. and not improving my social skills/interaction when I was young has made me into a poor, incompentent worker - waiting to be fired when my contract finishes.

Thomas Edison is a huge inspiration as to many other inventors/scientists...he has invented the light bulb. Back then, a lot of people thought it was impossible - but he believed in himself.. without that invention - life would be filled with candles..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
(male)

wearywilly HB User

a good honest reply auntie.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
(male)

LP123 HB User

To be happy. Life is the search for happiness. There is only one rule to this search and one rule only; never intentionally harm anyone, physically or emotionally unless it's absolutely unavoidable

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
(male)

liberterian HB User

"The question that faces every man born into this world is not what should be his purpose, but just what to do with life. The answer, that he should order his life so that he can find the greatest happiness in it, is more a practical question, similar to that of how a man should spend his weekend, then a metaphysical proposition as to what is the mystic purpose of his life in the scheme of the universe."

Lin Yutang

Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

It might seem as though everyone else knows exactly what to do with their lives. But does anyone really know for sure? I think one could make a strong case that we are all making it up as we go along.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
Memy (01-30-2011)
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #21
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
Hi all hope everyone is well,

Now im not sure if this is the correct place to post my subject so i appoligise if its wrong :/

Basicly im asking on this forum today because i know i can get a genuine responce from everyone here.

Ive had this thing playing on my mind for some time now....what is the real purpose of life?.....how can i find out what my purpose of life is?

I feel empty inside...like im missing something or meant to be doing something...like a lack of fulfillment,Yet i just dont know what it is and its simply driving me mad to the point of been constantly depressed all the time.

Oh man, were you talking about you, or me? Heh.

I can honestly say that I understand how you feel. It's an awful feeling. I'm a couple years younger than you, so I do not claim to know the answers to life.
I've found that there are a few things that humans need, that many of us don't get, that can lead to this feeling.
1. Humans need to help others. You know that feeling you get when you do something nice for someone? In this 21st century we are cut off from other people so much that we often miss out on this.
2. Humans need real connections. Once again, the 21st century is screwing us again with texting and facebook.

I hope that helps in some way.
In the end, the trick is to keep breathing. Someday, I believe, we will find what we are looking for.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
(male)

markelvis HB User

The meaning of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general. It has been the subject of much philosophical, scientific, and theological speculation throughout history. The meaning of life is deeply mixed with the philosophical and religious conceptions of existence, consciousness, and happiness, and touches on many other issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to markelvis For This Useful Post:
Memy (01-30-2011)
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #23
(male)

Searfass HB User

Quote:
Hi all hope everyone is well,
Ive had this thing playing on my mind for some time now....what is the real purpose of life?.....how can i find out what my purpose of life is?

I feel empty inside...like im missing something or meant to be doing something...like a lack of fulfillment,Yet i just dont know what it is and its simply driving me mad to the point of been constantly depressed all the time.
Honestly, I've been contemplating that very same question many times now. I'd like to think that every individual has a purpose, and some find it sooner then others. I definitely don't think my purpose was to live a life full of debilitating pain, or working at a job with no future. I'm leaning towards this is sort of a test, kind of like how God tested Job's faith.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #24
(female)

Deaanna HB User

Hello,
For my own opinion, I feel one should find God, and I don't mean just anyone's opinion of God. I am talking about the one God in the Bible. I just can't believe that creatures so wonderfully intricate as the human body came from some slime pool, or came from monkeys, and then where did they come from, lol. So, if you don't really believe that, I'd say, prove it, study it, the proof is all around us. I believe alot of people feel that way in today's world, because things seem hopeless, so much trouble in the world today. People tend to believe anything and everything that don't even make sense to me.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
... how can i find out what my purpose of life is?

I know you guys cant directly tell me what it is that im missing....but how can i find out?
I am a lot older than you. One thing that motivated me and fulfills me is my partner in life, of 45 years. We have enjoyed almost every single second, minute, hour and day together. It has been a great ride. It also helps greatly if you and your partner have similar likes and philosophies. For instance, my partner and I are both Atheists AND beer drinkers.

Another great enabler of my happiness was my career in computers, in which I could completely immerse myself. I loved working with computer systems.

So...... two things that might be missing from your life could be a partner for which to share your life, ... your successes.... your failures.... your ups and your downs; and a career path that will challenge you and reward you, and which you will enjoy, and could also make you successful.

Quote:
this may seem like a wierd post....but i hope you understand what i mean,I just feel like everyday is the same..
If it were me, I would look for that special someone, and at the same time look towards a career path. Have you considered taking any training, or course work, towards a career that you could really enjoy?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
(female)

Memy HB User

Okay! Huge query you posted! I am no Mensa person, but do have a tiny opinion. I certainly don't know what the meaning of life is, though i read a post somewhere in this thread where someone did address all the philosophical debates, etc. My tiny little feeling of how I lead a fulfilling life is by all means being of help to others, BEING THERE for others, lending a hand than causing a hand. And I always keep in mind what my big resume of life will be upon my leaving this world as we know it.
There were some very interesting replies to a oft asked question--a question which has been in debate and discourse for billions of years! There is no one correct answer, there is no one real answer for you. It is a very individual subject and one that can be talked about till blue in the face. Bringing it all home to your direct query that you seem to not be certain of your purpose in life, well it would depend on what you feel is important to you and what could enhance your life and/or way of living. Bringing in the subject of depression, one needs to find the source of depression and work from there, I reckon? Depression is a mean thing and can keep a person from leading a fulfilling life and can quite possibly affect others close to you. What is fulfilling to one person may not be fulfilling to another. So, I reckon it's an individual query that most of us all toil with from time to time throughout our lives.
I am a newbie here and was coming aboard for a thread for a cancer I live with it, but was fascinated by this query and all the different replies. Hope I have not offended anyone--i am still trying to find replies to my post from last week and cannot seem to navigate through this message board, but it has been a joy in reading all the other things i was not interested in! Happy trails, memy

Last edited by Memy; 01-31-2011 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
(female)

GG333 HB User

I have the same questions also. If it is bothering you, it's time to actively search for whatever you're missing. Take the time to do new things, expand your interests and find your calling. I hope you find it!

I've resigned myself to being happy with a simple life, I am a caregiver for my husband and mother. I work hard but it's gratifying. I'm also very glad to see so many responses about helping others, with that attitude the world would be a much better place!

The Following User Says Thank You to GG333 For This Useful Post:
Memy (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
(male)

hodo HB User

Our purpose in life is to first glorify God and second to help others.< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-01-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Please do not proselytize, thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to hodo For This Useful Post:
jasjotbains (02-03-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
(male)

loneqooama HB User

You know...i'm pretty much in the same boat as you my friend. so i really don't know what it is? I don't know through everything i've been through, maybe life is all about survival for me but not sure

Last edited by Administrator; 02-02-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #30
(female)

sssusan13 HB User

Hello,

I believe it is has to do with making the best out of any situation and using the tools you're given to do that. What do you enjoy doing? We can / You can go from there.

Sue

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Closed Thread