It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
(male)

Sempron HB User
Question The Purpose of life?

Hi all hope everyone is well,

Now im not sure if this is the correct place to post my subject so i appoligise if its wrong :/

Basicly im asking on this forum today because i know i can get a genuine responce from everyone here.

Ive had this thing playing on my mind for some time now....what is the real purpose of life?.....how can i find out what my purpose of life is?

I feel empty inside...like im missing something or meant to be doing something...like a lack of fulfillment,Yet i just dont know what it is and its simply driving me mad to the point of been constantly depressed all the time.

I know you guys cant directly tell me what it is that im missing....but how can i find out?
this may seem like a wierd post....but i hope you understand what i mean,I just feel like everyday is the same..

I just dont know what to do...or who to speak to.

Just some info on myself it it helps.

Im male...21yrs old,live in the UK,
I work 4 nights a week at a superstore.
I currently live with my parents still due to the prices of own places these days.

So yeah thats basicly it....hope anyone can give me some feedback,If not who can?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Sempron
fleepain (03-23-2011), ravi456 (01-23-2012)
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
(male)

Sempron HB User
Re: The Purpose of life?

:/ Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There is a great book that really helped me define a similar delimna....When All You Ever Wanted isn't Enough by Harold Kushner. A small little paperback with a wonderful message.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
(male)

SVTF HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
:/ Anyone?
I really dont have an answer for you my man, I'm 24....To me everyday i wake up is a good day. Life is so so soo short...it can be over in seconds without any notice at all. Dont take for granted what you have, there are hundreds of thousands of people who dont have a 1/3 of what you have. I feel that way sometimes too...

Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Sempron, Not a weird post at all. Some people seem to know/find their purpose seemingly from the minute they are born. For some, it comes later in life. And some might never get there.

Faith has already been mentioned, and many people find or define their purpose in terms of faith. If organized religion is not your thing, it bears noting that most belief systems boil down to our relationship with others . . . The Golden Rule . . . Do Unto Others. And most people I know find their fulfillment in helping others . . . which can take so many forms. Some might pack up to help in poverty-stricken Africa; others might volunteer in a local soup kitchen; it can be as simple as helping a mother with children get her groceries to the car, or holding the door for an elderly person; another might get their thrill from manufacturing computers that help thousands of people in all sorts of way AND provide hundreds with jobs.

Start simple. Pay attention to what makes you feel good and fulfilled, even for a short time. And move from there.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

I understand your post. Here in the U.S. it seems every TV show I see is talking about living your real life, being who and what you are meant to be. I'm in my 50's now and I don't think I know what that is yet.

To be frank, I know what would make me happy. But knowing what would make me happy and having it is very different than finding your purpose in life. Does that make sense?

Is there anything at all that interests you? Even a little bit? Maybe you could start with taking a class or joining a group. Just one step. For instance, if you like animals maybe you could find a rescue group and volunteer with them. Or take a class to learn how to woodwork. Anything. The odds you'll hit something immediately that leads to your purpose are slim, but you might have enough fun and meet some nice people that it will take your mind of things. I think one of the tricks is to start growing branches on your life. Eventually maybe you'll feel like you've had a full one, if you get enough branches going for you.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to resolution09 For This Useful Post:
WanderingAround (11-17-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

studey HB User

I knew very early on, "my purpose " What I wanted to be, or do, I wanted 3 things, A docter, or a nurse or a vet..Either one would have been a joy..To help people, in any way or to comfort animals..So the goal I finnally met and loved with my heart and soul was nursing..Worked as a charge nurse for 10 years than got very sick and disabled..At the age of 38 , I was DXed with a large inoperable brain aneurysm..and just found out I have yet another one..and my body is riddled with OA..Severely, So I was so happy I got to do what my heart wanted and what fed my soul..I think if you went to a college and you search your boundaries..and put yourself in different things..You might find what you enjoy..Spread your wings..You are still young , And I know something will come to you that will make your heart and soul happy, Good luck, Cindy

Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

1wholuvsbooks HB User
Wink Re: The Purpose of life?

I too have wondered that same question.Many times in my life I have felt that I was searching for meaning and fulfillment and then I would become involved with something or someone and forget.I guess what I am saying is that life is a series of experiences and emotions that we all take for granted at times.But when you are wondering what is the purpose you are really saying what can I do next.Think about it and search your soul you will know what it is and when you do take the leap, go out and learn more.We all are strong,smart and loving people we just forget sometimes.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

caringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB Usercaringsister54 HB User

I think everyone wants to know the Purpose of Life. I'm 54, a mother of two wonderful young adults, a son 25 and a daughter 23. I am a widow; their dad died when he was 48 and my daughter was 5 weeks away from graduating high school.

My son wasn't the greatest academically, he could've been but chose not to do more than expected for the entire 12 years. When he walked across the stage with his diploma. I told him that he had 3 options; the navy, the navy, or college and if he was going to go to college it was on his nickel, we weren't paying.

He paid for his college tuition in full each and every month by working 4 part-time jobs. He graduated with a degree in communications and then WoW! the light bulb turned on and he decided to go to a 4 year college.

He again did it with NO LOANS working full-time/part-time as work came up but he worked constantly! He shocked us by telling us he decided to study to be a high school teacher with dual certification as a special ed one. His field of study was world history, which required him to take 15 different history courses. After his 4 years, he graduated with his full degree and all certifications. Now he's substitute teaching, still working his other jobs as well, assistance coaching of a baseball team and looking for full-time employment

My daughter graduated under the veil of grief. She looked for work through a temp agency that became a full-time 37 hour a week position so she could attend college full-time. She just graduated with her associates in Education.
She paid for her college in full, each semester with NO loans. She's not transferring to another college to complete the last 2 years of her degree.

Both my kids saw their parents work full-time jobs and still do volunteering. We were presidents of Little Leagues, I ran a town's recreation bowling league for 9 years, we attended every sporting event my kids had and my daughter was in gynastics and my son played basketball as well as played baseball throughout his school life. During all this, I worked bingo nights through their school life from 10:30 p.m. to midnight, I still volunteered one time for a day care center helping the babies 'finger paint', I called bingo at a nursing home a few times, I worked a food bank packaging up food, or stuffing envelopes, etc.

This is meant for me but applies to anyone else
We think our life is so tough or unfulfilled, but our higher power gives us the ability to do something about it when there are many who can't. I believe that even homeless people and/or families while not having any money can still give of themselves to others and should.

When I cry myself to sleep mourning my loss, I realize that I have it pretty charmed right now. I know I walked through tough times and I realize that I may have more ahead of me But I have two choices, i could lay in bed and not do anything especially on my free times, or I can do something about living life as it was intended.

The suggestions that while you work nights, you should look to do something for yourself during the day is a terrific idea. You have all day, so take a day course; take 1 and see how you handle it. OR look in your community and see where an extra pair of hands or eyes, or legs can be of service to others. It just may open other doors or opportunities for you.

Good luck and keep us informed

CaringSister54

The Following User Says Thank You to caringsister54 For This Useful Post:
Retiredchief (09-21-2012)
Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
(female)

lexiemay HB User

I too am 21. I don't think it's time to start stressing about your purpose just yet.
My suggestion would be to find something you are passionate about.. Whether it be a hobby or volunteer work of some kind. If you can start to fulfill that passion you should hopefully feel like you are heading in the right direction.
Are you not happy living at home? 8 months ago I moved interstate away from my family. It was the best thing I've ever done. Not because I hate my family but because I needed the space. I now have the best relationship with my mum and twin sister, and really appreciate the time I spend with them.
Are you able to get a few friends together and rent something? Or find a decent share house? I know I felt a lot better about myself once I moved out.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
....what is the real purpose of life?
We were born with bodies that were designed to carry out certain functions in life, like eating, discharging waste, sleeping, dreaming, thinking and soforth.
Therefore, everything we do springs forth from a desire to survive by fulfilling those functions. That's the purpose of life.

Quote:
.....how can i find out what my purpose of life is?
Same as above except I think you're asking about the context. Thousands of years ago people lived by "hunting and gathering" so there were not many choices. But today there are hundreds or thousands of choices.

Quote:
I feel empty inside...like im missing something or meant to be doing something...like a lack of fulfillment,Yet i just dont know what it is and its simply driving me mad to the point of been constantly depressed all the time.
Maybe you should do some "exploring" to find what your interests are. Do you have access to a local library? You might try browsing through it to see what grabs your interest. Music? Science? Fiction? All known subjects are usually covered. It might not work for you at first but you need to stick with it. Eventually, you may hit upon something when you least expect it.

Another idea is to keep a daily journal. It's not for everyone but you might give it a try and see what happens. It could be just one sentence or a paragraph or two. Notate anything that stands out from your day. Maybe you talked to someone and enjoyed the conversation or maybe you didn't. How did things go at work? How are things going at home? Write down your likes and dislikes etc..

Another idea is to keep track of your diet and sleep patterns or health habits. Being "depressed" all the time could be the result of not getting enough sleep and/or nutrition. At any rate, your "health habits" could be a contributing factor.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Quote:

So yeah thats basicly it....hope anyone can give me some feedback,If not who can?
Have you watched Bruce Almighty? Theres a song in the middle as he searches, it talks about his God shaped hole in his life?

I think alot of life is about relationships, not just sexual or romantic ones but friends, collegues and family. Look at the relationships in your life, do they build you up? Are people there to support you? Can you rely on them? Can you find a way to surround yourself with good and loving people? I believe this would help, two way upward building friendships

Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
(male)

Nyamache HB User
Cool Re: The Purpose of life?

Life is short, working and helping people around you is what makes part of your life purpose. At least we all have something that we are able to do so well that leaves others say,”Hey, you did it so well.” If somebody has ever said something like that to you, then that is your purpose.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
(female)

RainingTree HB User

Hello Sempron,

I don't know if this will be exactly what you're looking for or not but it's what I believe. I think that we create our own purpose. It can be whatever we want it to be.

My purpose is to help others. I have always liked helping other people out whether it is giving them an ear to listen to, if they need advice, if someone falls down I will help them up, and if someone is carrying something heavy I will help them carry it. I also give people money who ask me (if I have any) because even though I'm poor they might need it more than me. I have also wanted to be a wife and mother ever since my first brother was born, when I was almost 3yo. That I still have to work on big time. I need to finish college so that I can get a job, marry my bf, get a place of our own, and some day have children.

As far as a career that has always been up in the air. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a teacher and then I wanted to be in the Army, then I wanted to be a vet. Ever since I was about 8-15yo I wanted to be an Archaeologist/Palentologist. After that I decided I wanted to make games. Right now I have no clue what I want to do.

I think that what ever your purpose is, it is just who you are. It could be to help others, or it could be to help animals, or maybe to make music, or to dance. Really it is just whatever you really enjoy doing; whatever makes you feel happy. I think that a good number of people have religion as part of their purpose; I do. I normally do not like to sing but when I go to church to sing to God I enjoy it then. I think that most people are meant to learn things, love others, and enjoy life; although I'm sure there are those that do not end up doing those things.

I'm 21 and still living at home also. I haven't had a job in a while. I'm going to college right now. I have been looking for work though. I applied at many stores and even at the hospital. The hospital turned me down for a house keeping position due to not having an associates degree and also for not having much professional house keeping experience. Today in about two hours I will be going to the hospital to get trained as a volunteer. I'm hoping that after I get my associates degree this September and get some experience through volunteering that they will reconsider hiring me.

I'm not sure if this helped you at all but I hope it did. I hope that you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-17-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I figured this one. We are her to lend our hands or voice to help others. We exist to help other humans and in turn we served a greater good and help ourselves feel good and are part of the human race and not so sad and alone and useless. I realized this when i got sick and depending on strangers for help.

Closed Thread