It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
(female)

lexiemay HB User
Smile Happiness

Hey everyone !
This is a general question to see what makes you feel happy ?
Just a quick background on myself. I live with my boyfriend, I moved interstate away from my family.
Since meeting ( or being reintroduced to my boyfriend,) my life has been entirely turned upside down. By no fault of his. It didn't take me long to realise that he is the man I want to spend my life with. But he is also in the middle of a messy migration case. And every morning I wake up in fear that he's going to receive news from migration that he has to leave. But at the same time I am the happiest I have ever been. I never knew it was possible to find this kind of happiness. Whilst I occasionally feel frustration at not knowing what career path i'd like to head down. I'm trying not to sweat it over the small things. After what I have gone through with my boyfriend I've become a really firm believer in focusing on the positives!

So now that I've shared my story I'd love to hear some of yours :-) what makes you happy, feel like you've accomplished something, whether you're a glass half full or half empty type of person :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-09-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: removed identifying details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: Happiness

Wow, so glad you can find the good. My story, I had my son 7 weeks early after being told I may never (I really wanted children, I have had BP problems), at birth he was very poorly and now as a result has Cerebal Palsy. He is hard work, he needs alot of attention, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, frequent trips to check his bone structure. He's about to get his first wheelchair but is the biggest blessing in my life (he and my daughter!) He brings me so much heartache and joy all rolled into one and he too has turned my life upside down! Somedays I just want him to be like other children and other days I think I dont want him to change. I worry for the struggles he will face int the future, but he is joy to me. I have my own beliefs about it all, but he has given me incerdible happyness, even when its tough. Like you say - Hold onto the good.

Last edited by Basswife; 06-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
(female)

Ananya1 HB User

Feels awesome to read the above posts, two people who can actually "hold on to the good"...
My story, i suffer from depression...there are days when my life seems upside down, when i feel like hitting my head against the wall, medication does help but i had no control over myself, until i met my boyfriend....he helps me so much, every time i'm sad he tries so hard to make me feel better( even though he's no good, but his efforts are enough to make me feel loved) , whenever i'm in a bad phase, he holds my hand and says, "don't worry, it'll pass, i'm with you",
His love makes me feel stronger...and it gives me a reason to smile even over whatever i'm going through!!
lucky to have found him, he is the reason for my happiness!!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiemay View Post
This is a general question to see what makes you feel happy ?
Just normal everyday living makes me happy. I don't need spectactular highs and I seldom experience deep lows in my life. I just kind of bounce around in a middle zone and that's all I need to be happy.

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-17-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Now this is a very good thread. I also find it uplifting to hear people who could be very depressed over things yet they make the most of the GOOD!!

We all have our own crosses to carry but trying to keep positive is the best way to go. Last year both my husband and I had small bouts with cancer issues, luckily they were not really bad so we try to think very positive and celebrate the good days and not get depressed over the bad ones we have.

We have been married 50 years now, have 4 grandchildren and one GREAT grandchild. Our youngest grandson who is almost 2 visits often, as he lives the closest and even though he tires me out when here, I actually feel the world is wonderful when around him, as he keeps us smiling. My children and grandchildren are scatterred all over the US, so when we do get to see them, it is very special.

I have also learned to associate with positive people, as the ones that are negative can bring you down VERY fast. Yes my husband and I both have some lousy health issues, but try extremely hard not to dwell on them.

Stay happy folks and try not to let those bad days get you down as they do pass with a little time. Stay well, thanks for a nice thread to share how we can make even our bad days good days. Peace and love to all...JJ

Last edited by JJ; 08-16-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: misspelled words.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User

a few things that make me happy. shopping, my boyfriend, chocolate and friends.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
(male)

liberterian HB User

The pain/pleasure syndrome establishes that human beings cannot achieve the emotion of happiness as an end in itself. Happiness can arise solely from the abatement of mental discomfort, from the negation of pain, from the elimination of unhappiness.

We cannot achieve happiness without first experiencing unhappiness. The pain/pleasure syndrome is an integral part of human existence. To quote an old phrase: Happiness is, taking off a shoe that hurts. Happiness is having sex after feeling the unsettling urge to have sex. Happiness is a good meal after feeling hungry. Happiness is simply a feeling of well-being resulting from the resolution of a painful emotional impulse.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberterian View Post
The pain/pleasure syndrome establishes that human beings cannot achieve the emotion of happiness as an end in itself. Happiness can arise solely from the abatement of mental discomfort, from the negation of pain, from the elimination of unhappiness.

We cannot achieve happiness without first experiencing unhappiness. The pain/pleasure syndrome is an integral part of human existence. To quote an old phrase: Happiness is, taking off a shoe that hurts. Happiness is having sex after feeling the unsettling urge to have sex. Happiness is a good meal after feeling hungry. Happiness is simply a feeling of well-being resulting from the resolution of a painful emotional impulse.
I disagree, the pain I have experienced in my lifetime does not equate to my happyness. I choose to be happy in hard times and I choose to be happy in good times. I knew happyness as a child before I knew pain. I think I have achieved happyness as an end in itself. Life will throw different things at us and our overall happyness depends on how we deal with those things, not from the elimination of or abatement of unhappyness.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

Hearing how some of you have dealt with some tough stuff and are still able to be happy makes me have faith for the future.

I was a shy, quiet kid. I had a lot of emotions that I didn't understand. Don't get me wrong - I had a great childhood. I just felt different. In my teenage years this turned into clinical depression - helped by an SSRI, therapy, and family.
Today, I have found that emotions are exceedingly fleeting - happiness not excluded. I keep my head up, and I am thankful for every single one of the blessings in my life. I just have a lot of feelings - not all of them are the most comfortable.
I have found that I appreciate my happier days a lot because I know that It could be worse.
For those of you who are "naturally" happy, or have a better grasp on life than I, more power to ya

Edit: I forgot to answer the original question, hah.

What makes me happy? Well there are two types of happiness.
There is ephemeral happiness - brought on by listening to my favorite song, or a few too many beers, or after watching a good movie.
Then there is true happiness. This is the happiness that keeps me going on my worst of days. This is the knowledge that I have people that care for me - even though they aren't in the same state. This is the knowledge that I am a strong person and I can carry on, that God will help me.

Best of wishes to you all.
-Wandering

Last edited by WanderingAround; 11-05-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
(male)

LAX21 HB User

Happiness to me is finding out after four years of marriage that my wife and I now love each other more than the day we go married. Knowing that she is my best friend. And even though I haven't always the best husband in the past I now get a chance to really be there for her. That brings me happiness. Oh and our three cats.

Happiness is different for everyone. Here's to all of us experience more of it than we do sadness. Count your blessings and appreciate the good you have in your life.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Happiness is a personal choice that we get an opportunity to enjoy as often as we like. Practice makes it all the easier to find within us. When we know that a simple smile at a stranger can bring happiness, we smile and get the rewards. When at a crowded store, we can find happiness at the sight of a cute kid with his mom, or an elderly couple holding hands. We can look at our children and find deep happiness, at one glance.

The act of choosing to see the good in others, to see the beauty of mother nature, to enjoy the feeling of a good hug, or the taste of lovingly prepared food....all simple pleasures with deep meaning attached to them.

In my case, I have been offered the opportunity to test my ability to create my own happiness while living with debilitating illness. While my losses have been great, and my future is not free of pain or more medical issues, my new found appreciation dominates my losses, for without them, I know I would not have challenged my self so deeply. I had to pull my self out or live in pity and despair.

I choose to allow the tiniest things to count... I can take a slow gaze around my environment and find at least one thing to gain my attention long enough to bring a smile to my heart. People are funny, animals are great, nature is awesome. Children are precious. Even traffic can be a place to find humor, if you choose to do so. Being open to happiness is all you need to start.

Happiness is contagious, and surrounding yourself with positive people, objects and ideas that lead to further happiness. The more you invest in your own happiness, the more you will receive...leading to your ability to share your happiness with others, a true gift for both parties.

It is not magic, but very close. Being happy is our own choice.

Janet

p.s. I now find happiness in offering support to others who have survived strokes and other medical issues I have experienced. There is nothing that can bring you out of a funk faster than helping someone who is worse off than you

Last edited by writeleft; 05-06-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
(female)

CatLover74 HB User

Several things make me happy.

1. Having a husband, who loves me just the way I am; faults (and there are many) and all.

2. Finally getting some form of paid employment, after 8 years searching.

3. Getting accepted into University (College) to do a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in English and minoring in History) starting at the end of July.

4. Feeling the sun on my face, and the breeze through my hair.

5. Seeing the sporting teams I follow succeed in what they do.

6. Curling up in a warm bed and watching my favourite DVDs.

7. Having a rare day when I don't have a headache of some kind.

That'll do for a start, I think.

Last edited by CatLover74; 05-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
(female)

lezah20 HB User

i love to hear good news everyday

Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
(female)

Locket25 HB User

I love cats. We have two One Jet black, shiny as satin
and one chocolate, shiny as satin both Orientals.
These two give my husband and I joy every day with their love
and antics.
All the best
Locket

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
(female)

Skyy 76 HB User

I've recently come to realize that my life is pretty awesome, even with the day to day struggles that I have in it. I sometimes lose sight of everything that I am blessed with and still have, and focus on what I could have or what I have lost. I am 34 years old and while I do struggle with some health issues, I have a Mother who is my absolute best friend in the world, a boyfriend who would do anything for me and loves me for who I am, and 4 wonderful dogs who are the joy of my life.

I was not looking for another new dog (we already had 3!), but a friend of ours found a Chihuahua puppy sleeping in some dead leaves on the side of their house and couldn't keep him, so we took him in about 3 months ago and this little guy has turned my world around so much, he makes me smile non-stop and I just want to hug him always. He is the best behaved dog I have ever had, an absolute delight.

I also love drawing, reading and playing video games when the stress gets too high

Life is what we make it though, and it is very hard to keep positive when bad things happen, just try to focus on the good no matter how small the good might be.

Closed Thread