It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

bethie44 HB User
Question Any moms work?

I really don't think I want to be a stay at home mom for years. Not only do I need to be making some kind of income, but I want to have something else going on in my life. I've thought about part-time jobs, but then when I factor in childcare cost, its just stupid. I was wondering if any of you have found legitimate work from home jobs. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

plang HB User
Re: Any moms work from home?

I've actually lucked out with my job. I work in a call centre on the phones and over two years ago they had a hiring freeze on. So when I was about to quit because of a recent move they offered to keep me on as an At Home Agent. They set me up with a computer and a virtual port to login on. I've been working from home for so long, I don't think I could ever go back to an office! Now that I'm pregnant, I'll go on regular Mat leave, and work part time from home once I'm ready to come back. (I'm being hopeful with the part time, depends on how much they need me)
The only draw back, is that they don't like their at home agents to have kids in the house while working. It sucks, but we're dedicated to the phones.
But yes, there are good at home jobs out there, you just have to be really lucky to find them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

I've worked from home for a little over 10 years and I've had two babies during that time. I work for myself. It takes a lot of focus and dedication but you can make it work. I started out processing mortgage loans and now I cover every aspect of a real estate finance transaction. I had to be very creative and re-invent my business once the economy started tanking.

I agree with the other poster and companies willing to let you work from home are very difficult to find, especially if you don't have an established career or an advanced education. I believe you're better off starting and growing your own company.

I don't believe you should count on work from home income though as your primary source of money. The income stream ebbs and flows over the years. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
(female)

bethie44 HB User

Actually, I do have an advanced education, but it's not an area that you would think about having at home opportunities. In May, I will have my Master of Education Degree in Special Education.

I'm willing to do anything right now, though, like a data entry job, etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

Congrats on your Masters!! I had an idea for you after I read that. Check with your local school districts' Special Ed. Departments. I know here in ours, we have a very diverse Special Ed. Department, especially at the high school, and I know for a fact several of the positions are done primarily at home because one of my friends is the Career Counselor for Special Ed. and she only goes in to the high school one day a week. The two psychs for the department also only go in one day a week and do the rest from home. Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-27-2010 at 06:42 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
(female)

bethie44 HB User

Thanks. That sounds like an awesome job. It actually sounds like something that my mom did for awhile. She has her Master's in Counseling. I look at my school district's job openings pretty frequently, though, and I have never seen anything like that here. I have decided to look into tutoring when I'm ready to go back to work.

Closed Thread