It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

notsodull HB User
Angry Traveling with a handicapped adult daughter

Why don't the handicapped accessible rooms at hotels come with two beds? Am I the only one that requests two beds at a hotel? When three of us travel, we need a room to accommodate a wheelchair and has two beds. I'm tired of getting a roll away. Any comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Re: Traveling with a handicapped adult daughter

Hi

I don't know where you travel, but my experience has been that there are handicapped rooms with two beds. I order a handicap room with two double or two queen beds when making reservations, and I make the reservations by phone to make sure I am getting a handicap room.

Perhaps some places do and some don't have a two bed handicap room available on the dates that you want a room but you can call different hotels till you find what you need.

Last edited by friendlione; 05-25-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

lourash HB User

I agree with you and some hotels don't have many accessible rooms. I'm not sure what handicap your daughter has , but my 23 year old son is a paraplegic. He broke his back above the waist last year. When he goes places it always enters my mind weather or not he will be able to get around easily. I want my son to have as close to a life as he did before the accident. His wife handles all the travel and doctor things with him so I don't know everything about it , but when I have been with them it seems like a lot of things to bring , let alone getting a hotel room with what he needs.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Not to mention that there are sites like MSN that advise non-handicapped travelers to ask for a corner or handicapped room if they want more space. You might consider asking if a room is there that is occupied by a non-handicapped individual that could be moved. I think most people would be willing to be moved for that reason.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

lourash HB User

I cannot believe that websites advise to book handicap rooms to get more space. That enrages me !!! It is hard enough to be handicapped but then for those sites to tell able bodied people to ask for those rooms , they should be ashamed!!
I live in a small town , everyday for weeks when I picked up my son who is not handicapped people were parking in the handicap spots to be closer to the door. I raised hell after calling the school with the plate numbers , the drivers got out walked just fine and didnt have a handicap plaque around their rear view mirror or handicap license plates. The school did nothing and the whole year it continued , i never thought about these things until my sons accident. You have to have the extra space to get the door open get the wheelchair up to the door and transfer, I would like those people who park there illegaly to get a huge ticket plus spend a day in a wheelchair and see what its like to get in and out of a car , stay in a hotel room and get around their own home and job. People do it and nothing gets done about it.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User

If a business or school refuses to call the police about illegal handicapped parking, call them yourself and report the store/school and the licence plates of those parking illegally. It will stop fast.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User

By the way, we can ask for the larger or corner rooms ourselves.

If you require handicapped, they usually will give the lager rooms to you for the regular price, but you need to ask. Ask to speak to the manager if need be.

Be sure to be polite. it goes a long way.

Closed Thread