It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Ever notice some plastic products "stink"?

I bought a pair of plastic sandal/slippers. After wearing them for a short period of time, I noticed they were giving off a strong smell. It was sort of a sweet smell with a hint of cinnamon. (I washed them with soap and water but it didn't help.) It was strong and distracting. So I stopped wearing them.

Lately I bought a cheap plastic watch made in China and it stunk in a different way. It smelled like recycled truck tires or something. I washed it with soap and water and it improved a little but it still had a bad smell.
Then, because it was made in china I began to wonder if it might have high levels of lead. The same goes for the slippers.

Have you ever noticed anything like this?

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Re: Ever notice some plastic products "stink"?

I have noticed. Maybe it isn't lead, but is cadmium (or whatever was in the cups sold by McDonald's), or something else harmful. I started only buying items made in the USA or Canada, due to the problem of low manufacturing standards.

No matter how attractive, I find the items from China and a few other countries to be poor quality if not downright dangerous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ZEMM HB User

I've noticed the smell in some products but never thought it'd be dangerous

Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

yes, even purses that are made of pvc or whatever stink and give me a headache, especially shopping in the purse department. Nothing like leather for purses and shoes.

Anything that stinks and doesn't disappear once it's washed, I don't use. Some actually seem to get worse, which is weird.

We were considering a memory foam bed and initially purchased the pillows...yeesh, the smell made me sick and I took them back.

Interestingly, my car is OK....different smell I guess...don't get sick from being in it, thankfully.

q

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
(male)

Eslocklier HB User

Yeah, i don't necessarily think there's any danger there. But I've noticed an odor from cheap plastic products too.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

I was just talking about this with my daughter the other night! I have a few tupperware containers that have a strong plastic smell to them. I've had them a few years but I wouldn't think that would matter. I went to put Christmas cookies in them and when I took off the lids, whew!! Almost like the plastic is breaking down. I've even put lemon juice in there, put the lid on and left it overnight. No change.
Has anyone ever noticed that with tupperware? I may see if I can take them back. Don't they have a lifetime warranty?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've got very sensitive Asthma. Some plastic products are not a problem, but other plastics bring on my Asthma. So...... I not only dislike the smell of some of these plastic products, they also negatively effect my health and can cause me to suffer from significant discomfort and breathing problems.

As if we don't have enough problems in life......

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi yes I tend to use glass for storage and as many natural products as possible. The truth is I don't always wear completely natural shoe products all the time. Sometimes I have worn leather shoes. If the shoes are sniffed at the store before buying...? lol

Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
(female)

helpkate HB User

Yes. I don't know why but if ice is made in a plastic mould in those new freezers with the wee ice thingy in them my whole drink is ruined with the taste/smell of plastic!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi just in case there is any interest I use glass pyrex bakeware in the freezer. There is a plastic top to it but if the bakeware is not completely filled up the food doesn't touch it directly like a freezer bag would. I discovered recently that stainless steel ice cube trays are available I suppose a thin glove could be used to take the ice out so the hands don't get too cold.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (12-30-2010)
Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
(female)

teAlexis HB User

They use formaldehyde and benzenes in products. I have chemical sensitivities and cannot be around anything that offgasses those chemicals.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Hi John I understand according to past reading benzenes and formaldahydes are not beneficial to health.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I bought a pair of plastic sandal/slippers. After wearing them for a short period of time, I noticed they were giving off a strong smell. It was sort of a sweet smell with a hint of cinnamon. (I washed them with soap and water but it didn't help.) It was strong and distracting. So I stopped wearing them.

Lately I bought a cheap plastic watch made in China and it stunk in a different way. It smelled like recycled truck tires or something. I washed it with soap and water and it improved a little but it still had a bad smell.
Then, because it was made in china I began to wonder if it might have high levels of lead. The same goes for the slippers.

Have you ever noticed anything like this?

Yes, when my son was little he had a set of large, rubbery plastic dinosaurs, and I ended up having to throw them away because they stunk so bad. They were stinking up his entire room. They smelled like an oil refinery, or a petroleum factory or something. Just this awful chemical/industrial smell.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-19-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Last summer there was a report on tv that said a lot of those plastic kids shoes were not safe to wear, and also thong sandals especially from China. I had a pair in my closet as I used them when outside, especially if washing my car, but I tossed them..they stunk!!

I know they also want us to use those re useable tote bags at the grocery stores but they also are made of a refined plastic. If I use one, I put a paper bag inside it first as no way am I letting my food touch the inside.

Years ago I worked at a place that made plastic balls and Frizzbies, so I actually saw what went into some of these toys...NOT good. The chemicals to make these plastic things are not healthy.

If it stinks...toss it!! JJ.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
sjb (02-21-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
(female)

mybodiesgivenup HB User

I bought a plastic table cloth last year that took a good 2 weeks before I didn't smell the distinctive smell of gasoline! Plastic does seem to hold the smell of production longer than most - maybe cause it is more poris(sp)

Closed Thread