It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #31
(male)

robert1972 HB User
Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

Yeah,attitude is everything and its contagious

Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #32
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I personally don't have high expectations for a really long life - maybe an average life span of 60-70, if even that. I've just always felt it's silly to "dream big" and assume one will live to a triple digit age. Besides, if the health problems my grandmother had are at all hereditary, I don't think I'd want to live for too long. Seeing the terrible condition she was in during her final years due to dementia and Parkinson's makes me hope if I begin falling into dementia or illness that I can end my life before those illnesses destroy my mind.

Besides, I'm not a healthy weight despite dieting, and you never see fat old ladies. Sure I don't smoke, drink, or do any drugs, but who knows how sick I'll be as I get older.

I can only hope the years I do have will provide me with at least a few good memories and that I do not lose my mind as I get older. I want to be sane and lucid and be able to remember my loved ones for my whole life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #33
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I personally don't have high expectations for a really long life - maybe an average life span of 60-70, if even that. I've just always felt it's silly to "dream big" and assume one will live to a triple digit age. Besides, if the health problems my grandmother had are at all hereditary, I don't think I'd want to live for too long. Seeing the terrible condition she was in during her final years due to dementia and Parkinson's makes me hope if I begin falling into dementia or illness that I can end my life before those illnesses destroy my mind.

Besides, I'm not a healthy weight despite dieting, and you never see fat old ladies. Sure I don't smoke, drink, or do any drugs, but who knows how sick I'll be as I get older.

I can only hope the years I do have will provide me with at least a few good memories and that I do not lose my mind as I get older. I want to be sane and lucid and be able to remember my loved ones for my whole life.

Dark Stranger,

I think you speak as probably most people feel. None of us want to be embarressed with some form of dementia late in life. If we are young now (I am not) one thinks the age of 60-70 is way far out there. And, if one has had loved ones with whom you have seen to have some terrible diseases we would not want to go through that either so that is why I say you speak as I think most people feel.

However in my case, my ancestors for the most part are living close to or into the triple digits. They have not had dementia, nor the awful diseases. They led pretty clean lives with no smoking, drinking, or bad vices yet they were all over weight as we are today.

I also think the person was right who said early on in this thread that no doubt enviroment and heredity has something to do with long life. In my case this appears to be true. I expect to keep going even tho I have arthritis, knees that need to be replaced and I ache all over. Plus, I continue to work and have a large clientel who depend on me to be there for them at the time when they need me.

Last edited by SREIM; 12-19-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: did not sign my comments--SREIM

Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #34
(male)

jttn90 HB User

This discussion makes one feel very old.

The Following User Says Thank You to jttn90 For This Useful Post:
SREIM (12-19-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #35
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

I think I am going to live as long as I am alive.

I don't think when we leave this realm is in our hands. Some are self-destructive or fool-hardy and remain alive, and others are careful and health conscious and die early. Accidents happen, yet some survive serious injury and others die from minor injury. I think the attitude is within our own control, but that life and death are not. This is fine with me. it helps me make better choices, since i probably will have to live with my choices.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #36
(female)

Thumbs up Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I get your sense of humor with the fact that you are going to live as long as you are alive. I do think as probably you do as well that we have some control over our lives in the fact that we could do something deliberate to ourselves and thus shorten our lives such as suicide. However I think it is not all up to us in our longevity but God has His intervention and plan for us as well. But I also think genetics has a lot to do with it as in my example earlier with my parents living to 99 and 100. May you live out your dreams and have a happy and prosperous life. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SREIM View Post
But I also think genetics has a lot to do with it as in my example earlier with my parents living to 99 and 100.
I agree that genes have something to do with it. However, environment is at least equally important. A book I read, "The dependent Gene", stated that it's about 50/50. Sometimes it takes an exagerated example to see the truth: Suppose you changed your diet to nothing but pastries and soda. What would you logically expect this diet to do to your health and longevity? Would you expect good genes to save the day? I don't think so.

Then, in a more recent book, "The Biology of Belief", the author stated that, "genes are not our destiny". He stated that only a few diseases are totally genetic. One he mentioned was cistic fibrosis. The most important thing a gene does is to provide a blueprint for the replication of a cell. Perhaps millions of our cells are being replaced daily and genes provide the blueprints to get the job done. However, to get the job done, we have to supply the building blocks by eating a healthy diet.

That's what I learned by reading but I've also learned from looking at my ancestors. What I've noticed is this: My grandparents and greatgrandparents seem (on average) to have lived longer. I just learned that one of my ancestors lived to 106. According to a "family tree", that was given to me, he was born in 1850 and died in 1956. I had a great aunt who lived to 100, a grandfather who lived to 97 and a grandmother who lived to 89. What I've come to realize is that they ate more natural whole foods like fresh fruit and vegetables and relied less on processed foods.

Although I've had two aunts live to 89 and my mother lived to 83, most did not make it to age 80. I had an uncle, for example, who drank alcohol and smoked and died in his 50s. With modern medicine and more prosperity you would think that that would increase our longevity. Insetead, it's slowly declining.

Conclusion: As recent generations have become more prosperous, there's more disposable income to spend on eating out and convenience (processed) foods at home. Also, there are more labor saving devices so we usually get less exercise.

My ancestor, who was born in 1850 and lived to 106, most likely never owned a car. None of my grandparents ever owned a car. They had vegetable gardens and did a lot of walking.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-26-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #38
(female)

Talking Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I should have said earlier that I do believe environment has a lot to do with longevity. When I was young all we had was a garden a few chickens, fruit trees, a cow and hogs. We did not have a car, but we did have a Farm-All tractor. City people had what was called Victory gardens.

We did a lot of hard work which no doubt gave us the exercise that we needed in that day. There were no gyms with its repeticious activities.

I would not want to go back to that day but I will say the vegetables and fruits were so tasty. The strawberries were sweet even tho they were small.
Our butter we made by hand, the eggs were fresh and the meat was good.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas. The baby Jesus came to a crowded Inn but he left from an empty tomb.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #39
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi SREIM,

Actually when I was very young I do something to myself that is proven to always kill a person, and here I am. Others wither away and die from much less. That taught me that there is something beyond our understanding. In considering my history, I have never met a doctor that understands why I am still alive. I frankly don't know either, because it wasn't from me wanting to be here. I did in the last few years come to grips with my lot in life and now I am completely Ok with it.

Not that I like pain or suffering.

Yeah, genetics may have something to do with it, but then one person in a family line may be the one that didn't get the longevity genes. There's no way to predict for sure, I think. It's the age old question: where is that fountain of youth.

I was raised in an environment similar to you, except we had a car. Knowing what food is supposed to taste like is wonderful, except unless I grow it myself food rarely tastes like it should. We made our own sauerkraut, pickles, and jam, drank delicious non mucus forming raw milk, ate real cream and butter, and no preservatives or hormones or refined, processed foods touched our lips.

Those were the days! Merry Christmas to YOU!

Last edited by jillian4; 12-24-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I always forget something!

The following user gives a hug of support to jillian4:
SREIM (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #40
(female)

Jill, here we are on Christmas morning writing on a blog with ficticious names, trying to figure out (no doubt) how far back we can remember Christmases of past and why we are alive yet to talk about it. I am glad this longevity "thing" we don't have to figure out but we can live here in the now and look back at our past.

I can remember going out in the field and cutting down what we called, a wild Christmas tree, one that grew where it was not suppose to. We strung pop corn and cranberries as our garland and had some tin foil icles that we threw at the tree and where it landed was where it stayed.

For a treat I can remember making home made ice cream with snow for ice. In fact we did not have an ice box, our refrigerator was a wooden box that dad had attached to the out side of the house on the bottom of the window. So, all you did was open the window and there was the milk, eggs and butter stored for the next meal.

I also remember pumping water for the animals and sticking ones tongue on the cold pump handle. One knows the rest of that story. Ugh!

I can remember a present would be a booklet of paper dolls to cut out and possibly a coloring book of a famous movie star of that day.

For our Christmas meal we would have a pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, home made catsup from the tomatoes from our garden, carrots from our summer crop and fruit cake which was a home made cake made with raisins or currents and apple sauce, It was sooo good. (Mom would make it at thanksgiving time and let it ripen until Christmas.) Then we would end our meal with my dad reading the Christmas story.

With longevity this is what we can look back at. Now this night I can look back at a night without sleep due to pain but the past memories brings joy to my heart that I can remember the pleasures of my youth.

And, with this to all a good night. Signed--with that fictious name--SREIM.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks to everyone for all the interesting (and sometimes amusing) replies. This thread has been active since 06-26-2010. That's longevity! :-)

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas! Best wishes for a Happy And Healthy New Year!

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-27-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Word change

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
SREIM (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #42
(female)

Talking Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the interesting (and sometimes amusing) replies. This thread has been active since 06-26-2010. That's longevity! :-)

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas! And best wishes for a Happy And Healthy New Year!
Thanks for making me smile and LOL!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

My ADD got in the way of reading all of these posts, but I figured for longevity's sake, I'd throw in my two cents!

I hope to be around long enough to meet and get to know all of my grandchildren (my oldest is 8, so I still have awhile!). That's just my hope, though. Everyone in my family drops dead of cancer or heart disease somewhere in their late 50's-early 60's. Well, the "healthy" ones do. All the unhealthy people in my family have lived well into their early 90's. But they're grossly obese, have diabetes, can barely get around to take care of themselves, and wear diapers that someone else has to change. Eeewww.....

WHY??? Why do the healthy people in my family bite it early and the gross ones stick around for freaking ever???

I don't get it. I'm really trying to find a good balance between the two. Not crazy healthy, but not grossly obese, either! Maybe that way I can stick around into my late 70's or early 80's. I always had this dream of going sky diving with my husband on my 99th birthday.... then on the way down we could just "leave" and never really hit the ground.... it's a good dream.... of course, I guess for the kids' sakes, we should stick around long enough to pull the cord on the chutes before we go!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisuela View Post

WHY??? Why do the healthy people in my family bite it early and the gross ones stick around for freaking ever???
It seems their "healthy" lifestyle wasn't healthy enough to prevent cancer and heart disease.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

John, if it weren't for all the suffering I've seen in the "gross" side of the family, I'd chuck it all and go gross, too! I often wonder if it's all the unhealthy preservatives that keep that side of the family around so long....

Closed Thread