It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User
Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I don't really have expectations. Never have. Life is just too unpredictable. I suppose I should expect to have many years ahead of me, but the rate at which the world is changing is accelerating with advancing time, so who knows what the world will be like in the future. I was born in 1990, so it will be 2050 when I turn 60, and if I live to 75, it'd be 2065. I love time, though, and the thing that bothers me most about dying is not knowing what will happen after I die. I've always lived more of an internal life than an external one, so I enjoy thinking about the world and the future.

As far as my family history goes, all my grandparents are dead. The youngest died at 58, and the oldest at 83. But it doesn't matter. I believe genetics has little if anything to do with longevity. (Sure, longevity tends to run in some families, but lifestyles are also passed on, and I think they play a much larger role.) But still, the quality of my life means a lot more to me than its length. I wouldn't care too much if I were to die at a relatively young age. In fact, I'd rather be dead than live a miserable life. I'm pretty content right now, but not really content with my station in life. I don't feel I have a lot to live for, so my philosophy is to take it as it comes and we'll see what happens.

The following user gives a hug of support to still life:
SREIM (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #47
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User

I agree the quality of life means more to one than it's longivity. I think on this thread we have worn out the reasons for longivity and it might be good to go into the quality of our lives and how to obtain that quailty in living.

I am content with life at 77 as I know Jesus Christ as my Savior and that brings peace to my heart. I just went through major surgery and as I was going under the anesthetic my thought was, I am content to what ever happens, if I live or die. Now I am on the other side and want to go back to work as soon as possible and continue living the life that was given to me.

One thing that I think would help ones quality of life is to volunteer. Find something one can do for someone else to help their life to be better. I am grateful for the support given to me to help me with my needs while I am down.

But the peace of mind I have helps me to know that I do not have to worry as there is a God who cares and is taking care of me until the day I leave this world.

Last edited by SREIM; 01-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #48
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

I'm 25, but I honestly don't expect to have a long life. My health problems are getting worse, and even now I'm unable to work or go to school. I would count myself lucky to get to 55~60, considering my health and how young my relatives have died ( grandparents all around 60~65 ).

As for the quality of life, I've seen a bit of the world and have fallen in love with someone I know will love me until the day he dies. That's pretty good if I do say so myself! I've volunteered, educated anyone who wants my knowledge, built a school with sweat and cement, and I learn anything and everything I can. I consider that as fulfilling as travelling, having a great career, or living a life of service.

Of course I would like to see more of the world and have fun like other young adults my age, but I would be mostly content if I died tomorrow in some accident. I've never really been able to do anything in my adult life due to my health, but thankfully for the internet, I get to see more than I could imagine!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #49
(female)

Smile Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

Keep up the good work and put a smile on your face and your life will be full filling. Love to you SREIM

Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #50
(female)

If you are 21 and holding, or 21 in and of its self, enjoy life, take breaks from the "rat-race" and be happy. If you are disabled find something that "turns you on" that makes you love what you do. Lets all find someone else whom we can make happy. We took someone into our home that did not have a home and had very little work. The person needed us as much as we need her in our old age. What a blessing. Now we won't have to go to assisted living as soon as we had thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to SREIM For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
(female)

John41, what is happening in your life since the holidays are over ? What are you doing that you hope will extend your life?

I just had surgery went back to the doctor today and I have to be off my job for 4 more weeks. Ugh! I guess I will just have to find something to fill in my time. Any suggestions from any one? I am suppose to be laying on the couch with my feet elevated on the arm rest.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #52
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SREIM View Post
John41, what is happening in your life since the holidays are over ? What are you doing that you hope will extend your life?
Nothing very exciting is going on but I don't really expect it. I can choose to do all sorts of things because I live in a community with lots of amenities. But I actually prefer to live a somewhat quiet life. I like to read and watch movies at home.

As far as extending my life, I'm following a healthy lifestyle. I get moderate exercise, about eight hours sleep every night, and I eat a healthy low calorie diet. Basically, it's known as the "CRON" diet. That stands for Calorie Restriction with Optimum Nutrition. And, ideally, you keep your BMI around 18to 19.

You can have some animal protein but I have decided to go vegan because I think it represents less wear and tear on the body. And when you don't eat animal protein you have more room for plant foods that contain phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. And this helps to give you better cholesterol numbers etc.. Also, when you don't eat animal protein, you get more fiber in your diet which is very important for health. I eat nothing but natural whole foods like fresh fruit, a wide variety of fresh non-starchy vegetables, legumes, limited amounts of natural whole grains, nuts and seeds.

That's all it takes to live to a ripe old age. You can get more information by searching "CRON Diet". The book is: "Beyond The 120 Year Diet" by Roy Walford. But I don't follow his diet exactly. He recommends lean meat and lots of vitamins. I don't believe in taking lots of multiple vitamins and minerals. I believe in getting my nutrients from food and only taking a few vitamins when needed, like B12 and D3. That's it. And no animal protein.

Quote:
I guess I will just have to find something to fill in my time. Any suggestions from any one? I am suppose to be laying on the couch with my feet elevated on the arm rest.
If you could get a copy of the above book from your library, you could do some reading.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #53
(female)

John41,
Reading is a good idea when in bed. I will do that and try and get the book you mentioned.

And for alf33, don't stop at 60, life can get better afterwards. Let God direct your life and give you as many days as He sees fit. You could be 33 now but 60 can come up awfully fast and one then looks back and says where did the years go.

Sreim

Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #54
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Most of my family members died in their 50's All had heart attacks or stroke.

If I do pass 60 I will be so shocked that the shock alone might do me in

~Belle~

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #55
(female)

Emly HB User

Nice Question Dear!Right Now I am 20 Years Old and I want to live to be at least 60-70 Years!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #56
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Right Now I am around 70 Years Old and I would LOVE to be at least 20 again!

Sadly, I don't think that is possible. So.... the best I can do is exercise about 2 hours per day; eat the healthiest diet I can eat; avoid toxic VOCs; take beneficial, life-extending medications; and enjoy each and every day as if it were my last one!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
BelleoftheSouth (03-06-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #57
(male)

vgktl HB User

Dear,I believe that longetivity of life is in the hands of the Almighty and it does not really matter as well.It is the quality of life which I will always aspire for!

The Following User Says Thank You to vgktl For This Useful Post:
BelleoftheSouth (03-06-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #58
(female)

Talking Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I say DITO to VGKT!'S message. I leave my life in God's hands and I do not
show concern about my longevity as I feel it more important for me to be ready when that call comes.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #59
(male)

Inquisitive1too HB User

I would love to never die, for I fear death. But the reality of life, is that the body will die. Keep in mind, however, that it is only instinct to avoid death and strive to live for as long as possible. So the desire of longevity is instinctive and natural which is why I so openly state that I wish to never die lol.

These are one of them topics I like to discuss, especially at night during campfires and such.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #60
(female)

one4u HB User

Everyday is a holiday!!

If I make it to 70, then everyday after is whipcream.

Hell, if I make through to day, I will celebrate tomorrow!!!

Closed Thread