It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #61
(male)

Ran557 HB User
Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

The day I can't take physically take care of myself starts the part of my life that I wouldn't mind dying. Although, that statement might change when I start a family.

Still, living forever is the ultimate curse; eternal youth is the ultimate gift.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #62
Inactive
(male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User

The day where I have to ask someone for help in my daily life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #63
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Eh, I'm all over the board. It depends on how my body functions for the most part. If I am still able to walk and think straight, as well as maintain a healthy social life. I'd say like 85ish. However, if my bodily functioning gets really poor, or I begin to lose my mind and become a burden to others. I'd really be fine with anything after 70 I think. Depends on where life takes me

Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #64
(female)

SREIM HB UserSREIM HB User

I'm with you, if my body functions prohibit me from living a decent life then I don't mind if God takes me. But, my goal is 100 since my folks went there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #65
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Over the past weekend, I was listening to the radio. It was a one hour program by a doctor broadcasting from central Florida. He said he had a patient who was 109 and his patient (a man) had just died.

He explained that this man never had any health problems whatsoever. The man was sitting in his livingroom and whoever was with him left the room for a minute or two. When this person returned the 109 year old man had died and looked as though he was taking a nap.

The doctor didn't mention the man's name but I believe I may have known him. Nine years ago I went to the birthday party of a 100 year old man. That's were I met him. Four years later I bumped into him at a buffet restaurant. He was still driving and had driven himself there to eat. He had a few write-ups in the local newspaper and it was reported that he didn't have any health problems.

He made health and longevity look easy. And now that I've seen how it's
done, I think I can do it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-06-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #66
(male)

LaraKr HB User

Ha ha, I wish it would be that easy. The more you expect to live, the longer you will live. It is very unlikely that it works that way :-)

Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #67
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraKr View Post
Ha ha, I wish it would be that easy. The more you expect to live, the longer you will live. It is very unlikely that it works that way :-)
Consider a man or woman who doesn't expect to live much beyond 80 (and I do know such a person). This person has already had a heart by pass operation because of poor lifestyle choices. I asked him if he planned on cleaning up his act so as not to get his arteries clogged up again. He said, "no, I probably only have a few years left, so I want to enjoy myself." So, in his case, not expecting to live much longer will most likely shorten his life.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #68
(female)

I must tell this interesting story. We had a 57 yr housemate that helped around the home making our lives more comfortable. She has had 4 open heart surgeries and was expected not to live past 15 yr's of age.

One night close to midnight she and I were visiting in the kitchen and "ker-plunk" she fell over dead on our kitchen floor. (A cardiac arrest) With in 5 seconds I called 911 and the dispatcher told me what to do.

She was not breathing, her eyes were fixed, her body functions all let loose and with me just a few months from a TKR I did the best I could with CPR, doing hand compressions on her chest. I did this for 10 min bending over standing up and staying calm.

Her heart was shocked 4 times and a little pulse was recognized. She was put in an ice bath and on a respirator. After 12 days the family decided to pull the plug, but the miracle is--she woke up and started talking.

Here several weeks later she is up walking the halls, talking up a storm and tearing up when I go to visit as she thinks about what went on that night of her collapse.

The moral of this story is to never give up. God only knows the hour and minute when he takes us home. Even in death miracles happen and one some times is given another chance at life.

I read on the internet yesterday about a little baby in a foreign country that was laying in his coffin, he sat up and asked for a drink of water.

We don't choose how long we will live but lets live as tho this might be our last day and live it to the fullest.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #69
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120? ...
My thoughts on how long I would live were somewhat negative after I suffered Heart Failure back in 1987. In subsequent years, my health continued to worsen, so there were no thoughts of living to 100, or 90, or even 80! For me, it was day to day.

However, I started learning about how to improve my heart failure, and today I feel great, with plenty of energy, strength and optimism. Being 70, I now think that 80 is not out of the question; and with some good luck, even 90 or older is not out of the question.

But....... I have begun to think, "Who the hell wants to grow so old?! As we age, we get skinnier. We get weaker. We get frailer. We lose our memories. We lose our ability to rationalize. We lose our friends and relatives. We tend to suffer more pain and aches and health problems."

I just watched a show about people who made it to 90, and over, and loved it! There was a cab driver over 90, an athlete over 90, several musicians over 90, and others, some of which were over 100, who obviously weathered their old age and their weakened, worn-out bodies; and made the most out of their lives, and were still enjoying their lives.

That show opened my eyes to the fact that aging can be much more enjoyable than I had visualized before. So, now I am looking forward to my 70's and 80's and possibly 90's with a little more optimism.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #70
(female)

Machaon you are doing some serious thinking here. I'm 78 and I do have some physical Infirmities but I still want to get as far in age as God allows. Three years ago people thought I was going to die and they replaced me with 3 other persons. I didn't die and came back to work. I guess I am stubborn enough to want to keep going and show others that just because I have surgery at my age doesn't mean I am going to die.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #71
(female)

Ruby claire HB User

60 would be my figure and i will be very much happy for it !

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #72
(female)

hamida HB User
Smile Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I don't have any number in mind regarding the age at my death. I pray Allah that He may grant me good health and an attitude to serve his creation, and live a simple virtuous life.
Hamida

Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #73
(female)

Wink Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby claire View Post
60 would be my figure and i will be very much happy for it !
Ruby you must be quite young. Sixty isn't old and hopefully you will have a
lot of "kick" yet in your life at that age.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #74
Inactive
(male)

Arrowroot HB User

Like Braveheart226, I'm also more concerned about quality than quantity. My expectations for longevity are not long. I have many health problems and will feel fortunate if I make it to 60, but I'm trying to make the most of the time I have and finding things to enjoy in life. Since I became ill what I want out of life has changed. Now people matter a lot more to me than places. I no longer care to travel. I'd be happier just to find somewhere peaceful to live.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #75
(female)

TracyM1 HB User

I never ever thought about dying, I suppose that I took it for granted "it wouldn't happen to me" until a ripe old age as I had never been ill. Then last year at the age of 41 I had a heart attack. That experience soon taught me to live each day as though it was my last. Now, each night before I go to sleep the thought does enter my head about not waking up the next morning.

I would love to live till I was an old lady ( if I had my health ) but in reality I know that might not happen.

Last edited by TracyM1; 11-21-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Closed Thread