It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
What are your expectations for longevity?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

I would like to live to be at least 100 but I realize how difficult that will be to accomplish. There will be some obstacles to overcome.

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: What are your expectations for longevity?

I do think that attitude account for so much John !
I am 50 now and am not as concerned about the actual amount of years as I am about my quality of life. Good question!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

What if there is an accident and you die? Or a life threatening illness? Why do some live longer than others when their attitude is the same?

I believe that your time is your time and its not up to you to decide. I believe I will live forever, not in my earthly body, but one day a heavenly one, but how long I will be in this one I have no idea nor have I ever had any expectation. For me I have no age, to leave earth younger or older have their advantages and disadvantages. I try (quite often failing badly) to live every day like I will tomorrow meet my maker and have to answer to him.

I know I am not in control, I cannot stop illness, an oncoming bus, but I can live every day to do as well as I can what I feel I have been put on this earth to do.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basswife View Post
What if there is an accident and you die? Or a life threatening illness? Why do some live longer than others when their attitude is the same?
If there's an accident or illness, I hope I can at least say that I did my best to have safe/healthy behaviors. And attitude is only one factor among many.

Quote:
I believe that your time is your time and its not up to you to decide.
All I'm deciding is to do my best.

Quote:
I believe I will live forever, not in my earthly body, but one day a heavenly one, but how long I will be in this one I have no idea nor have I ever had any expectation.
We may have something in common: We both want something that can't be guaranteed.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
If there's an accident or illness, I hope I can at least say that I did my best to have safe/healthy behaviors. And attitude is only one factor among many.
All I'm deciding is to do my best.
We may have something in common: We both want something that can't be guaranteed.
What a fantastic attitude, todays society seems very much just live for the moment and not worry about what you can say about you life. Its refreshing to hear.

Its a personal belief but I believe in something that for me is a guarantee. Its difficult to describe on a health forum, But your attitude and thoughts attracted my attention. I too hope I can say I did my best while I was on this earth.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
(male)

leopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB User

Interesting topic.
I know things that will help a lot.
from 20 years old to 65 years old. Or 70 years old or even 80 years old for some company owners,
you have to do every day 8 hours a day or more, something important called working.
If you make a job that you like, if you like your work, if your work becomes a passion, then this 60 years will be mostly happy. No worrying.

Need to laugh. Itís one of the best medicine.
like always having a few fellows who provide some laughing entertainment.

always enjoying the live. Never worrying. Having passions leisures.

The mind. Always make good use of our mind.
reading new stories everyday, that we can share with people after.
magazines, newspapers, novels.
our mind travel when we read.

One Thing that can damage your health badly.
Things that will make you worrying too much :
Raising too many Children with a budget too small.
We must raise children according to our salary, according to our budget.
One average salary of the country, can raise one children.
Two average salaries of the country can raise two children, and so on.

And of course our food.
eat fresh food from the vegetable and fruits market.
donít eat processing food, no canned food, no frozen food, no pizzas, no coke, no sodas.
Sugar is the most dangerous low poison on earth. Just the week end or for parties, but not more.
Or once or twice a week not more.

And a jogging or another sport every day.
We will live longer. 120 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to leopard777 For This Useful Post:
BelleoftheSouth (02-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
(male)

Mids09 HB User

I'm 19, I expect to live to around 35 and have done for years.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

I would like to live to be at least 100 but I realize how difficult that will be to accomplish. There will be some obstacles to overcome.

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.
Hi John,
That is a good post. And makes me think about life. I knew 2 kids when I was at high school that died and it was hard. Then my step son lost a girl that was very hard for him too and we are talking about teenagers that there is no reason for that. To me our life is not to our choice at all. My Dad smoked Camels since he was 13 and died from something that is no reason for his smoking. He was 72. You know some days I do think I could live to 100, but it is not my choice at all. so thank you for the thought. In the last days, no one of us know. So to your question. I sure don't know how long I am going to live.
Be well,
Tim

Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mids09 View Post
I'm 19, I expect to live to around 35 and have done for years.
Mids09,
Please don't say that. 35 Is very young though you may not think it now. There is so much life to be happy about. If you get to 35, then you might be to 100, who knows? Life is hard I know, but please don't give it up at 19, please don't think that. Maybe you are not even telling the truth I don't know. But what I said is true. Hang in there buddy. You have a lot of good life to live.
tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 10-31-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

Yeah, this is a good thread.

Hm. I'm the type of person to quite often go with the flow (which should increase my longevity! hah) so I've never thought to put a number on it.
Only time will tell, but I would very much so like to make it past 80, because at that point I will have gotten to live a good portion of life. Now, I'm not cutting myself off at 80! With medical advances, so long as I don't do anything really stupid or nothing tragic happens, I could expect to easily live past 80.
It's the 20's that are gonna kill me (<--that was a joke, and I hope it stays that way!!!)

I think that expectations matter to a degree. I mean, if you expect to die at 30 then you probably will take worse care of yourself, ya know?

Last edited by WanderingAround; 11-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
(male)

Searfass HB User

Well, in the best case scenario, I would ultimately want to outlive my family. But ONLY if I am healthy. Quality of life trumps quantity of life anyday of the week. I sort of believe in karmic retribution. In a past life, I must've done some horrible things, but now I am slowly making up. I'm not really religious, but the Golden Rule seems to be an excellent standard in living. I've been dealt a really bad hand, but I'm still in the game. In life I don't think it matters whether you are wealthy, a movie star, or even a simple Burger King employee; the final destination doesn't matter, it's just the mileage you accrue along the way that matters.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
(female)

Abby49er HB User

I can certainly appreciate some good points made here: Stay active with something you enjoy, laugh a lot, eat nutritiously, and keep our minds healthfully busy. Thanks~!!
Abby

Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
(male)

wells888 HB User

I am now 70 yrs old, and was enjoying life until 9 months ago when my wife of 48 yrs died from pancreatic cancer aged 66 yrs. None of us knows when we will die, thank goodness as I don't want to know. Anyway, I am keeping positive, and as I have 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 7 greatgrandchildren, am not lonely, although I still miss my wife every minute of every day.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
(female)

missa-O HB User

i don't thinking about living that long,, but maybe have healthy life till my time its sound good..

Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
(female)

CatLover74 HB User

It's my 37th birthday today (September 22 in Australia at the moment). I think I'd like to live into my 80s, as most other women on both sides of my family have done.

Closed Thread