It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

prettiestpon HB User
Are children charged the same price at weddings??

My fiance and I are planning a 2012 wedding, which my parents are generously paying for, but my parents are a little upset that my fiance wants to invite all of his relatives' children. I am not sure how many to be exact, but they are concerned about paying $30+ per head, especially if these children are young. I am just throwing out a number, but I'm thinking there would be at least 20 children on his side.

I am caught in the middle here b/c I understand why my fiance would want his younger relatives, but he is also not paying for it. I think it is also rude to write ''no children'' on invitations.

We are going to start looking at venues soon; however, I was wondering if anyone knows if they charge less for children under a certain age or what not. So far, I haven't seen anything like that listed on the venues' webpages, so that is discouraging.

I was really happy about all of this wedding planning until now. I am seriously ready to make this a very small wedding (50 or less) or elope.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Are children charged the same price at weddings??

At my wedding, I think the deal was kids under 5 free (unless you brought a LOT of them) and kids age 6-10 were half price. They might not advertise this, but I seriously doubt they're going to charge full price for children too young to eat. Call and ask.

Another hint: Get married in wintertime. Everything is cheaper, and you don't have to reserve a hall a year in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

It's really specific to the caterer/venue. Some caterers will ask how many adults and children and set the pricing and amount of food accordingly. Some places charge per person, no exceptions. Realize that if you're serving a dinner-style meal, you're going to have to pay per plate whereas a buffet style meal may be a little more flexible.

My venue charged a set price per person but had a buffet. There weren't many kids, so I when I gave them the total people, I just counted 2 kids as one person. We still had a lot of food left over.

Again, any good caterer will know best how to handle the situation.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've seen both sides of the children/no children side when my kids were refused and yet when my son got married, he and his fiance refused kids at their wedding. Now as a grandma, I can take a step back and look at it this way.

Kids need activity. They don't sit still for more than a minute or 2. They get bored easily. And they all want to be the center of attention.

So think about this and the type of reception you plan to have (formal or very informal) and think about what the kids would like to do. If you want a formal reception with introductions, and first dances and all the "lady like" stuff you think of, then the kids will be bored to tears and you are better off leaving them home for their sakes. If it's going to be very informal with lots of space to run around and play and no real formal stuff, like an MC doing introductions and special dances, then the kids will have enough to keep them from getting bored and should be okay.

And babies...they get tired and hungry and if you don't have the place for them to sleep and be fed, don't even think about it.

I had kids at my wedding and one of the little brats stuck his foot out and tried to trip me on the way down the aisle. Otherwise it went well because we kept the reception short and fast.

My son went for the formal with the big ballroom and the MC doing intros and no kids as they would have been bored to death(I was bored and I was mother of the groom!) and my daughter-in-law knew that she didn't need a bunch of 2-4 year old nieces and nephews there. It would spoil her day and she wanted it as "her" day(and it should be). One of her cousins threatened to not come if she couldn't bring her kids(2 and 3). So the bride's mother called her and told her that they were going to miss her at the wedding. Period. She showed up without the kids.

So it really depends on the reception site, the cost and what you as the bride wants on YOUR day. But also think of what the kids would have to endure and how little kids have the attention spans of gnats and the frustration tolerance of mad bees. Don't let moms and dads who want to "show off" their kids ruin your day or their kid's day. Weddings are not the time to show off how cute your kid is....leave that for holidays, not events like weddings.

Sit down with your finance and decide before you look at facilities. Having kids there will decide the facility and every decision you make after that one.

Good luck.............Jenny

PS...I used to do wedding cakes and flowers so I've seen it all as well as what I had and my son.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ZEMM HB User

totally depends on the wedding venue/organizer

in my experience, under a certain age will be free, but others will be full price...

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Another thought is if your guy is determinede to have the kids ther, make sure you have a separate room for them and have babysitters employed to keep them ocupied. Bring games, perhaps a video and movies, then the parents can have a good time also without you being upstaged by a little gubby hand wiping down your dress...

Closed Thread