It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User
I'm in a hurry to live my life

Is it normal to want to do everything that you dream of ASAP? Growing up, I always wanted to be just one year older than I was. When I turned 21, I was finally content with my age for a few years. Now I'm back at it, wishing I was older, wishing I could hurry up and have my student loans paid off, buy a car, buy a house, decorate the house, find someone fantastic and plan a wedding, travel around the world, rent an RV and go on a roadtrip. Maybe I'm overthinking life and what I want to do with it because I'm unemployed and I have no gauge now of what is next. I feel pressure on myself to do it all now, yet I know I have lots of time, I know I should enjoy being young and not try to grow up too quickly. Do I need mental help?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: I'm in a hurry to live my life

I don't think you need help. It sounds like it's just your personality to want to plan ahead. I think it's good to have goals and to have dreams. I hope you find a new job soon.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I dont think so either, I think you are a young person ready to take on the world! That is a good thing.

With all your big plans for the future looming over you, I could see you getting overwhelmed by it all, so just break down each goal into smaller steps, and take one at a time. You will start to see the little steps add up to bigger accomplishments, and you are off!

Make daily, weekly and monthly goals. Keep track of your progress, and live a full life

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sognoazzuro View Post
I feel pressure on myself to do it all now, yet I know I have lots of time, I know I should enjoy being young and not try to grow up too quickly. Do I need mental help?
It might be called "time sickness" when you "feel pressure to do it all now". Some people rush to get as much done as possible because they think that the future can only be better. But the future keeps getting pushed further into the future and it never arrives!

I would suggest that you try meditation. Clear your mind of all thoughts and worries of the day and feel positive about the moment you're in. Relax, concentrate on your breathing and take notice of how good it feels just to be alive. When you're new at this, your mind tends to wander but that's okay. Just get back to concentrating on your breathing. Do this for at least a half hour every day and you will reshape your brain. Brain scans have been able to tell the difference between beginners and those who have been doing it for a long time.

There's an interesting book about the brain, meditation etc.: "Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain" by Sharon Begley.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
(female)

flutepraise HB User

I just finished reading (listening to) Positivity -- it may help you. You may find that your current thinking is a rather negative way to live life. <edited> I checked out my copy of the book on CD from my local library -- didn't buy it. It really made me think.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-22-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread