HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   It's Life - Off Topic Discussions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/its-life-off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   I Think We All Forget... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/its-life-off-topic-discussions/818859-i-think-we-all-forget.html)

WanderingAround 10-22-2010 02:59 PM

I Think We All Forget...

...that life is a gift. We were given this consciousness. We are ALIVE TODAY, I believe,for a reason. Why won't we grab a hold of it? Life is more than the four walls of your cubicle or classroom. Are these things an integral part of life? Yes. Are they the whole of our beings? Goodness, no. Go outside, sit in the grass. Watch a sunset or sunrise. Hug a friend.

I used to be very depressed. I dressed in black as colors made me uncomfortable. As I look back, I realize that my eyes were closed. I was in a fog of nothing. How could I let myself live this way? I am very lucky to have found medication and I learned how to rationalize my feelings.

That is just my story.

EagleRiverDee 10-22-2010 03:45 PM

Re: I Think We All Forget...

Thanks for your post. It's a good message. I try to think of what I have to be grateful for each day. I believe in God, so often I combine that gratitude into prayer (thanking God for the good things each day) but a person could simply do it as a mindful meditation as well. I think it helps a lot to reflect on what we have to be grateful for, because we sometimes might take things for granted. I routinely make a point to reflect on my friends, family, job, employers, fiancÚ and his children, having food and a roof over my head and being able to pay the bills, being relatively healthy, and (due to my faith) for things like prayer and scripture. As I suffered a terrible back injury in January of this year, one thing I will choose to be grateful for is how far I've come. I've gone from being in extreme pain and being nearly 100% disabled to having more mobility than I've had in years and being nearly pain free. Other things I choose to be grateful for is things I see in nature. The color of a leaf, the beauty in a sunset, the smell of the ocean, the sound of a bird singing.

I think that taking just a little time each day to be grateful can help us to ward of depression, anxiety and disease.

WanderingAround 10-25-2010 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=EagleRiverDee;4609003]
I think that taking just a little time each day to be grateful can help us to ward of depression, anxiety and disease.[/QUOTE]

I think you had a great post, I just wanted to reiterate this point ^ as I often forget that.
Kudos to you, for keeping strong even in times of hardship.:)

ibake&pray 10-26-2010 09:15 AM

[COLOR="Navy"]WE so often take for granted what we have. I had back surgery to replace three discs. My back broke the day after the surgery and no one listened to me. When my surgeon came back into town he knew what the issues was right away. I am now fused from T9-sacrum and will live in some degree of pain the rest of my life.

In addition to that I had a DVT, from my calf to my groin and was throwing clots into both lungs...that was another week in the hosipital. But I lived even though 60% of these are found on the autopsy table....

I felt that my problems were because I was strong and there were others out in the world suffering that couldn't have handled it, so God told me that I needed to take a turn...but I'm quite finished now!

God has never given me more than I can bear. I have learned to temper my feelings and to let some things just go. It has strengthened my marriage and that has been worth it's weight in gold....[/COLOR]

Misssty 10-27-2010 04:30 PM

I find that my view on this topic varies with whatever is going on in my life. Sometimes I think life is a gift...and sometimes I think it is a test....sometimes I think it is a curse.
I can be the most grateful person when things go my way....when they don't...well, not so grateful.
I am always in awe when I read that someone is grateful when they are going thru hard times in their lives. I wish I was that way "grateful". I'm just not always as grateful as I should be.

bylm85 01-11-2011 04:30 PM

Life is a blessing, and it's amazing what God can do in our lives when we just get out of our own ways.

bl0ndie2 03-09-2011 07:07 AM

Hi. I would like to agree with your post..

It is refreshing to find another who has the same thoughts ... It is important to be thankful and I never understood how important it was. Not only does it create positive thoughts of love and gratefulness but I believe it brings more happiness to your life. Like attracts like. Feel the sun on your face and say a little thankyou in your mind and be AWARE. Awareness opens up a whole other world. It also teaches you to listen to your inner gut feelings about situations that are not going to be healthy for your well-being.

Depression is an inner feeling of doubts, sadness, negatives and loss. If depression didn't exist then we can't really learn what it is like to feel the opposite of being trusting of yourself, happy, positive and individually whole.

If the medication you are on isn't working, try until you find the right one. Same with your doctor. There is a chemical imbalance in your brain, it doesn't make you less of a person.

Thankyou for message boards for allowing me to rant when I feel like it.

Thankyou to the other ppl who are also sharing, it helps me not to feel alone.

Thankyou to finally realising after 30+ years that I'm not stupid and a failure because I failed school ... the positive side is that I've learnt things that no 'school' can teach.

Anyone who is hurting really badly
, hold on. It will pass and it will make you stronger. And like the poster above - get some sun, dont hide away, the sun is actually needed physically for your body to function properly.

The healthier the body/the healthier the mind ... please don't damage your body for the mere sake of it ... be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself + whoever has hurt you. Not even for their sake but for your own wellbeing ...

Nicky x

Barrentine 03-30-2011 10:40 PM

I totally agree with you that we are living in this very time for a reason and my question is what is that reason?
I think you don't know about it and almost everybody in our society don't know the reason of life.We are created by GOD fro a reason and my friend you have to search it for yourself and if you don't bother to search for the truth then you have suffer more. Trust me......you can even feeling it inside of you. What you have told to sit in the rising sun of hug any friend, are not the reason of our lives. But you have to search for it and if do that it will come to you very soon.