It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

E in PA HB User
BPii, is career in brass performance adviseable?

Based on anyone's experience, can/should a young person recognized as an outstanding talent (with treated BPii) shoot for a career in public performance?

The options within this are:
-solo (part-time schedule possible)
-solo (full-time)
-major symphony or other top-flight performance group
-secondary symphony or other performance grp
OR
Forget it--teach others only
Forget it--pick a different career

All wisdom and hunches are appreciated!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: BPii, is career in brass performance adviseable?

Hi E in PA,

I think over history, it's well known that people with Bipolar or other mental illness can do very, very well anywhere in the arts for an occupation, which are well suited to them because the arts are so therapeutic, and the very love of music and other arts can be the motivation to stick with it and excel.

Is this question for yourself or someone else? If for yourself, follow your dream! So what if you spend your life pursuing your ultimate dream? Believe me, the world itself will determine where in the arts anyone can work and be appreciated. Few get famous, for instance, but plenty can perform in orchestras or small town bands and work at something else, too.

Any of the options you mentioned just depend on the desires of the heart. Bipolar doesn't mean you won't do well in your chosen path. The questions seems more like you are asking about someone else, because who so carefully defines our own path? So if this is about someone else, I would be very careful to not try to direct or control this in any manner.

If the questions are about someone else, I hope you remember that interfering in an individual's career path to try to save someone from possible discouragement could completely devastate and derail the person. Life throws hard curves that seem to discourage us enough without others telling us we can't follow our dreams. I would say tell the person his dreams. You can discuss all the options and still be nothing but supportive.

Last edited by jillian4; 03-15-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

E in PA HB User

Thanks! I ask as my son's hoping to continue in the most intense area of classical music performance (vs jazz improv). Maybe the training can morph into something manageable for him.

I continue to be very supportive but hear other musicians urging caution. He's still a teen, so part of the answer may depend on how thick a skin he can develop.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi E

Musicians who say that are wannabes. I guarantee you those musicians urging 'caution' are jealous of his talent and heart.

I'm not 'known', but I'm an artist and I enjoy my art. It expresses me. My love of art started when one family member made positive remarks about something I drew. It stuck with me all of my life, and I never did quit getting positive feedback from others. But not from everyone.

One thing I have learned along the way is that other artists often do not share in the sheer joy of anyone else's art, unless they consider themselves far beneath that person. Most act like what they do is out of pure talent, when sure talent does matter, but drive and persistence and practice matters the most. Those are the jealous artists that will not teach their techniques or the finer nuances they learned. It's a rare artist that truly mentors or will pass the wand, so to speak.

Beware of the naysayers. Don't let them influence your son or you. Let him change his mind all on his own, if he is going to. If in his heart he is really the teacher, not the star, he will see that on his own and it will happen naturally. Some become instrument craftspersons from the love of the music. I bet he is really intelligent. Bipolars usually are.

Take a look at Susan Boyle with her presumed handicaps. Who knew? (and I wish I knew enough about musicians to name them). Yet some utterly believed in her; her mom for one, and it made her believe in herself. So what if your son pursues this and later on changes his mind along the way for whatever reason...don't let that reason be his own mother. He will never get over it if it is you that dampens his joy and dreams.

I say let him strive! It never hurt anyone. He will either turn in another direction all on his own or show everyone. It's great for a teen to be focused. You don't have to try to determine the final outcome. He doesn't need protected from failure or encouraged to mediocrity. There are enough of us out there. He needs told to just put his whole heart into whatever he does, and that if we do that we are already a success.

No one can foresee the future. Not even those jealous musicians. Wow. That really irks me that anyone said that to you about your child. Music and art is the one area of life that emotional ups and downs actually polishes the craft.

I can just see this star rising. I hope you can catch the vision.

side note ~
I just want to tell you how it was for me when I was six years old. It was during a grade school Christmas sing along that a lady leaned over, got my attention and said to me "whatever you do, don't ever sing". I was shocked. I was probably belting the song out. But after that I quietly spoke the words of songs but I didn't sing. Then later after I was an adult, a friend who was considered to not have a voice for singing told how a teacher taught her the discipline of singing, then she sang and carried every note. Maybe she would never be chosen as a soloist, but she could sing her part, and her voice belonged in the choir. I kept thinking of this, and many years later I began to practice allowing my voice to reverberate, or whatever it is called. I don't know. I'm not a learned singer. But you know what, some sounds I think are beautiful came from my throat, and now I can make my own joyful noise. So please excuse me for jumping on your son's bandwagon and trying to knock some negative others off.

Last edited by jillian4; 03-16-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
(female)

E in PA HB User

Vibrato,

and I send you my love.

The following user gives a hug of support to E in PA:
jillian4 (03-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to E in PA For This Useful Post:
jillian4 (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thank you for telling me the proper word. It really touched me.
Maybe someday i can afford voice lessons.

With love.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Closed Thread