It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
(male)

vgktl HB User
Why do we exist

I have tried to understand the mysteries of life almost every minute since I was aware of my surroundings. I could understand various instincts, drives and laws etc. etc.intended to form, sustain and propogate life.I could understand many of the facets of life. There is only one question that always haunted me and still does so. Why do I exist? What is the purpose of existence of this whole universe and existence of life?
I still wander in the darkness!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: Why do we exist

This question haunts me as well. Why consciousness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

I believe in evolution; I believe that all life began as microbes swimming in the primordial ooze.
I don't think there is a why. Just random chance.

I think we should live our lives constructively and compassionately, and be as kind and helpful to others as we possibly can, even though I don't think anyone's keeping track, or doling out any punishments or rewards for it.

Last edited by Kali333; 04-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
(female)

merilynn HB User

This is a very interesting question. I wonder about that as well. Here is what I came up with:
The word "purpose" suggests some kind of struggle for a goal, therefore it suggests limitations. But I don't think that something as great as the universe has any limitations or purposes. It just lives, because it's alive, much like we do. The purpose of life is to live. It may sound very simple, but it isn't.

As for the afterlife, <to me> life is so precious because it's short and once it's over, it will never come back. It's so easy to say "Nevermind, maybe I'll try harder and do well next lifetime."

We should take responsability for our lives, it's our only chance.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

InShapeAfter50 HB User

I personally believe we all have a purpose, when you find yours life looks so much brighter and vibrant.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
(male)

maximo89 HB User

<I believe> we are just a disease on this world, we talk about rats and pigeons etc but we are much worse than they are, our true nature is coming out with media, sex (mating), fighting, narcissism, and we love these things because they are prime evil, and the narcissism is peoples real problem! you looked at your self not everything else, 'i could', 'i couldnt make sense' i should, i, i, i, i, you wasnt the only one to evolve, have a look at all the other species, look at your dog and see that he is a pack animal and with out friends and family he will be depressed, he feels just like you, you'll see it in his eyes when he is sad, in pain, your not the only one that feels these things, you'll see it in a chimp that gets tested on, there so calm and look so sad (but in the wild there aggressive and very lively) and realize that theres not some supernatural things that controls our fate, that pain, depression, love, hate is not some super natural thing, that you need to be poetic about to understand there just signs that your bodies telling you something, love is an attachment, pain is obvious, depression is your body lost in the battle of the hormones, when you eat you like sugar because in nature for the past 150,000 years the only sugary things were fruits, which are nutritious, you like fat because that too in the wild was only good for your (and large amount of animal fats are quite rare on most animals) fish oils, nuts, fruits etc. how did a dolphin evolve to sleep tho it lives in the water and breathes oxygen?

<I believe> we dont really have a purpose anymore, modern aids have taken that away, look at all animals purposes and even ours until the last few hundred years, 150,000 its was just survival, survival of you and your genes nothing else, that is the purpose of all living things

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: combined posts.

The following user gives a hug of support to maximo89:
foosicle (12-26-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgktl View Post
There is only one question that always haunted me and still does so. Why do I exist?
I am an Atheist. I believe that our individual existence is all just a freak of nature, the same as a fly, or a whale, or an eagle. Your existence and my existence is just the luck of the draw.

Personally, I am very grateful that I was born in a strong, freedom loving democracy, to a loving family that gave me a good start on my own life and my own family.

I shudder when I think that I could have been born in a tyranny, where they brainwash their young to hate others or to be intolerant of others, as is being done all over this world. I imagine myself being taught to hate others who have a different ideology or different religion than me, and wonder who I would be right now and how I would feel? In some countries, like North Korea, where most people go hungry every day, the government restricts every minute of every day, and does not allow freedom of the press, or free thinking, or a quality education, or outside news, or any type of communication with anyone else in the world.

You and I will probably never figure out why we exist, but we had better figure out how to best survive in this world so that we can insure our continued existence and be happy.

For me, happiness is finding that special other, with whom to share our lives, and to do as well as I can to be successful. Along the way, I feel that it is important to be compassionate and helpful to other deserving individuals, and to do as much as I can to insure that our freedom loving democracy, and land of opportunity, lives to see another day.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-14-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

My God has no form and God is love. I believe I exist to serve God by loving others. I started to say in spite of the sickness and tragedy and death. But then I thought no, not in spite of.

Because of.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
(male)

kuvac44 HB User

Wow, there are some very insightful replies.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
(female)

carm HB User

I believe in God... some kind of god.... a higher power, if you will. My life has been blessed in so many ways that I can't help but think that I have some sort of purpose or that some sort of higher power has protected me from living a life that someone with my (very poor) upbringing would normally lead. Given the circumstances I was born into and the things I endured growing up, I should be living a very hard, uneducated, and unfortunate life (like most of my family members). However, I survived it all and now I'm getting a Ph.D. in Interpersonal Communication at the top program in the country... so there has to be someone or some thing looking out for me, right? Who knows... but here is what I think we are put on this earth for:

I think that we all could have easily been made into a fly or a bird or dolphin... some other type of life besides being a human being. I think that the reason we are human is to connect with one another and to make a difference in each other's lives. For me, the purpose for life is connection and love. We have the capacity for consciousness, cognition, intense emotion and language. That is what separates us from other life forms. That is what it means to be human. This is why I study interpersonal communication- I think relationships are the most important part of life. Without them we would die. But we also need to maintain healthy relationships in order to be well. Hence, I study how people go about creating and maintaining close relationships.

That's my take on this whole "life" thing. Thanks for posing this question! It's fun to think about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carm For This Useful Post:
jillian4 (09-12-2011), mj1417 (05-24-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
There is only one question that always haunted me and still does so. Why do I exist? What is the purpose of existence of this whole universe and existence of life?
I still wander in the darkness!
Suppose there is no ultimate reason to exist. Do we need a high purpose to justify being alive? But if there is a purpose, it might be as mundane as reproducing. It might all boil down to genetic programing. Babies are born as male and female. (Hmmm! I wonder why? This might be a big clue.) Both sexes spend many years developing to reach sexual maturity. And presto! They are attracted to each other. And this is all carefully engineered by our genes.

Okay, we are here to reproduce for the survival of our species. But why? Once we have reproduced, what do we do? For the most part I think we just become addicted to the biological functuns life. The more life we have, the more we want. That's why we try to be healthy. Life is the only thing we have ever known, it's familliar, so we want it to continue. It's a biological addiction!

Other reasons are reasons that we make up along the way. Such as: "I was born to be a great musician." Or, "I was born to preach the word of God." There's nothing wrong with having those reasons but I don't think they are the reasons for existence.

Here's something to think about: The sun is 4.6 billion years old and will keep shining for about another 7 billion years. When it burns out, human life will cease to exist on earth. There won't be anyone around to ask what the meaning of life is and no one will even remember that there was such a thing as human life. The meaning of life itself, whatever it is, will cease to exist. Therefore, I think we have to say that there is no ultimate meaning. It's whatever we choose make of it while we are here.

The sun waving goodby-------->

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-25-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Trying out the mood thing. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
wanda harden (04-20-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User

I've been contemplating this question for years, why am I here, why didn't I die as a child why didn't the dr let me go during surgery as I requested...and a million other questions.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
... There is only one question that always haunted me and still does so. Why do I exist? ...
"Why do I exist" is a lot different than "Why do we exist". In my mind, there is no "we". The world is made up of many different types of humans and animals, some born more fortunate than others, and some born into live-long poverty and misery.

I do not attribute my existence to any supernatural or magical being or beings. I am an Atheist. I cannot picture some invisible, magical deity watching over billions of different humans all of the time, 24 hours per day, for an eternity. First of all, anyone, ANYONE would completely lose their mind doing that 24 hours a day! Just watching the countless millions of children being abused, and molested and going hungry every day would make my lose my mind, providing I haven't lost it yet!

So..... answering the question "Why do we exist" is much more difficult than answering the question, "Why do I exist". To me, there are basically two kinds of humans, those who have compassion towards other humans or animals, and those who do not have compassion towards other humans or animals.

Among those two, there are many other sub-types, including those who are narcissistic, and care only about themselves and their own gratification, and there are those who's heart is big enough to include others.

So, someone who is narcissistic has quite a different purpose in life than someone who is more sharing and more caring.

To me, having compassion towards other humans and animals is essential to life and essential to being and feeling and acting human. I have no room in my heart for uncaring, inactive, invisible deities, angels, goblins or ghosts, or for organized religion.

My purpose for existing today, however, is to pop up two bags of lite popcorn, chew the popcorn without swallowing, pour a nice hot cup of coffee, and have a munching session while I watch American Idol and America's Next Great Restaurant on TIVO. Does it get any better than this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgktl - purpose of life?
What is the purpose of existence of this whole universe and existence of life? I still wander in the darkness!
This is a beautiful, magnificent, wonderful planet. Even though I primarily care about survival and happiness, I also care very strongly and deeply that we must preserve and protect our one-of-a-kind "planet of life", the Earth. I am distressed by the huge quantities of pollutants and sewerage spewed and poured into our air, into the ground, into the oceans, into the streams, into the lakes, etc. We are fouling up the most beautiful, wondrous planet in all of existence, and if we don't change this destructive path, we could possibly destroy the only living planet of it kind anywhere in the universe.

So....... one real important purpose for our individual existence could be to do everything we can to preserve and protect our beautiful Earth!

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
(female)

still searchin HB User
Smile Re: Why do we exist

Hi!

<I> exist because God willed it and he wants to have a relationship with you.

<edited>

Personally I would rather believe in a God who is creator and offers me forgiveness and loves me. Some things will remain a mystery but I figure if I knew all the answers than I wouldn't have faith to trust a God I can not see, but yet I know he exists. I would then become my own god and to tell you the truth, I can't save myself.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #15
(male)

gregrogers HB User

You are right.. yes it's really a haunting question. You know sometimes i think, we are like complicated machines with batteries in it. Battery is out so is you. There is no "Soul" issue.. But when I look at myself and try to make some sense of it all, I feel so strange, as if i would regret the loss of life if I were to die..

The following user gives a hug of support to gregrogers:
still searchin (04-27-2011)
Closed Thread