It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
(female)

watergleam HB User
Re: Do you think in words or pictures?

I love how everyone is just so unique

I mostly think in words, as if there's a "voice" inside my head. Most of the time there's music playing as well.

But I also imagine a lot, as if there's a movie going on in my head.

Whenever there's an idle moment (traveling alone, for example), I'd unconsciously imagine esp conversations between me and other people. It's quite vivid and I could "feel" the emotions. There's image and there's sound, just like a movie clip

When I read, I vividly imagine the scene and all the emotions associated with it (especially if the book/story is very well-written). Each character would also have their own distinct voice/accent. For example, I read the first two chapters of Jane Eyre the other day... I felt the cold winter chill, vividly saw the heavy Gothic drapes, and sort of hated the texture and ambience of the red room she was locked in.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 AM   #17
(female)

erikablya HB User

I think in words, but remember in pictures)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
(female)

Emly HB User

I think in Pictures

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

laurenergo HB User

This is a fascinating question. I think entirely in words, unless I'm fantasizing or imagining, in which case it's a mix of visual imagery and words.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Yeah! I have a really hard time memorizing things, but being able to visualize my notes in my head helps me a lot to recall it. I memorized half of chapter 8 of the Book of Romans, and the thing that helped me the most was visualizing where on the page each verse was- both which side of the page (the left or right page), what column, and how far down on the page.

I recently read part of a book called "Thinking in Pictures". I forgot the name of the author, but she's high functioning Autistic. She described the way she thinks, and it sounds sooo much like the way I think, except for the autistic part- where because her thinking is so visual, generic words like the versions of "to be" have no meaning to her because they have no picture or feeling attached to them. She was eventually able to learn how to use those words, but it took longer than someone without Autism. But besides that, her thought process sounded so much like mine. She said it's almost like flipping through a photo album. Like if someone said the word "dog", it's like flipping through a photo album in your mind of every dog you've ever been in contact with. That's how it is with me, too. Or if you say the word "fuzzy", I immediately get a bunch of images in my mind of cats (both ones I've owned or ones from my neighborhood growing up) and of myself sitting on my couch at home wrapped in a soft blanket.

But additionally, I also associate certain thoughts and/or feelings with colors, and I think I also mentioned that when someone else is speaking I see a lot of the words they say as a picture in my mind- I mean, the actual words as pictures- not something I associate with those words.
It's really fascinating the different ways peoples' brains work.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
(male)

Dalton683 HB User

Both, depending. Depending on what, I'm not sure. Mood, time of day, energy level, task at hand. Our brains are pretty awesome.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Definitely pictures. Unless I'm trying to memorize a script or something were I'm specifically running words through my head. I do not believe I've ever intentionally thought in words. It doesn't seem very imaginative to me.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB User

I worke with children with special needs (whatever that means) and most of them think in pictures.

take care all

Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
(female)

coping1 HB User

I definitely think in pictures...and I am ambidextrous so you would think it would be a combination for me.
When I think of a calendar, I think of linear pictures that kind of go in a loop with each picture having a corresponding picture/color/feeling-white/cold for January, blue/breezy for May etc.

Great thread-so interesting how differently we all think!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
(female)

Wel.l How you think is pretty amazing! 'Everyone is different and its very much uncharted territory and that is interesting because sometimes I think people behave as if we know a lot, which we do, but there's a lot we don't know.

A bit of profundity! ha! Ha!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
(male)

Kash2 HB User

I definitely think in picture form. As a matter of fact my wife asks me what I am doing and I will tell her that I am trying to figure something out. I have to look at it (pictures) to figure it out.
I also find when I am confounded with a broken this or that that needs to be repaired and I am not sure what/where to start, I visualize it and figure it out.
I have been told to "write it out" and you will figure it out....NOT!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
(female)

I think everyone has to learn the way that is appropriate for them! There is no right way to learn but many ways e.g. many way to get to Rome.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
(male)

limeydaz HB User

This is a tricky one, because I do not think I have a clear, dominant way of thinking. Sometimes words are the only appropriate way to work something out and other times only pictures will do.
I love to make actual, physical lists to organise a number of tasks, but the completion of these tasks can be visualised either / both as my hands working to fix something or as written instructions you might find in a non-pictorial manual.
The more I try to think about it now, the harder it is to work out what comes naturally... For example, people I know may be thought about in terms of what they look like / how they act / statistics and info about them I might find on Facebook etc.
This is a complex one.
Does anyone else have a combo?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
(female)

marigolds HB User

wow, fascinating. Not sure what I do but am now going to study myself. I can recall being places I have loved. I've done a lot of good walking recently in beautiful places and didn't have a camera. I consciously studied scenes to remember them and it works to an extent. I just worry I'll run out of memory! I can recall a lot of experiences in pictures if I make an effort but do I actually think in pictures? ....thinking about what I will cook tonight I see myself checking out if I have ingredients in the various cupboards in the kitchen and standing by the cooker with the ingredients, chopping veg to cook.... Maybe I do!

Hmmm....I'm going to London at the weekend for a work meeting and when I think of the meeting (in a place I have never been to with people I don't know) I imagine a room and people and being there in images/pictures....in preparation for the task ahead I guess.

Thanks - great post.

The Following User Says Thank You to marigolds For This Useful Post:
limeydaz (10-12-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
(female)

SillyNicey HB User

Both.

When people started sharing their experiences/telling a story or whatsoever it's as if it is being converted to a film playing in my head at the same time I am thinking intrapersonally.
When I'm thinking a lot, I am expressing them through art and words when I feel like it. When I'm depressed or something I talk to my teddy bear ._.

I love to think a lot. When I begin to think of something I feel like I'm drifting from the real world and then started to lose my focus little by little ._."

Closed Thread