It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

Young Senior HB User
Mom against putting pet dog to sleep

We have had many dogs which all died of old age. Each one of the dogs, my parents lifted them up to eat, made a sling for the back hinds and lifted the sling so the dog could walk to the grass and poop. They brought the dog into the house when it could no longer stand or eat and kept vigil over them until it died. My father has passed away now and my mom is too old to take care of the dog. The dog is very very old now and can hardly stand, the back legs are very weak and stumbles a lot. Mom wants me to make a sling for this dog and pick him up when he want to stand or eat. I do not want to follow the dog all day. I think it is cruel to the dog to make it suffer like that. I say to put the dog to sleep, mom said no ... We took care of all our dogs till the end. What is the right thing to do? She is 86 years old and not in good health herself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Mom against putting pet dog to sleep

I agree the poor dog may be in pain or too sickly to get around. I've also had many dogs and cats that lived mostly to 17-19 years but when they were no longer able to do much I had to have them put to sleep. Trust me..it is one of the hardest things to do as they are family. Like your mom I waited till the bitter end.

Do you think if you took the dog to a vet with mom present and he/she told her it was time might help? Many of us go into denial that our pets are too old or sick but seeing them deteriorate before your eyes is not right.

Wishing you the best and good luck...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
Young Senior (06-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

How sad of a situation you're in.

I agree with JJ to take your mom and the dog to the vet for "consultation". It's truly cruel to have the animal continually suffer...I could never to that to my pet.

Keep us posted please as to how your mom handles it.
q

Last edited by quincy; 06-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
Young Senior (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
(male)

dsaldo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I agree the poor dog may be in pain or too sickly to get around. I've also had many dogs and cats that lived mostly to 17-19 years but when they were no longer able to do much I had to have them put to sleep. Trust me..it is one of the hardest things to do as they are family. Like your mom I waited till the bitter end.

Do you think if you took the dog to a vet with mom present and he/she told her it was time might help? Many of us go into denial that our pets are too old or sick but seeing them deteriorate before your eyes is not right.

Wishing you the best and good luck...JJ...
It may very well be that the dog is hanging around for the person and not the other way around. A dog is the only thing that loves you more than it can ever love itself. Humans never had this honor so adeptly attached to them as an honrable trait, but Josh Billings saw a dog worthy of wearing the honor

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-29-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or real name.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
(female)

Young Senior HB User

I see your point. My mom tells the dog all the time, it's ok to go now, and says he is not ready to go yet.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
(female)

Young Senior HB User

Update on mom's beloved pet. After 3 months, her dog could no longer stand or eat. Her dog "Nani" moaned all day and night for 3 days. She shuffled back and forth feeding her spoons of water every time Nani barked or moaned, after three days she was completely exhausted and finally agreed to put her down. We had her cremated and Mom took her ashes home.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The cycle of life is so difficult, especially when dealing with our pets. It's unfortunate your mom waited till the bitter end...I suspect she wanted the dog to die peacefully in her sleep and relieve her of making such a painful decision.

I guess it's not a wrong, it's just an extension of the dog's suffering, which I couldn't do.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I hope your mom has many happy memories of Nani, but remembers clearly this experience for the next pet she gets.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Young Senior (10-27-2011)
Closed Thread