It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Young Senior HB User
Unhappy Laundry problems unresolved, que sera sera

I have a disagreement with a friends at work. I ask others not to dump the children's folded blankets and towels in the machine. She said it doesn't effect how it gets washed. I also asked that they put the laundry into the machine and not on the floor. (the machine is empty) They say that the laundry ends on the floor because they're busy caring for all the children. These young women never ever had more than 10 children to watch since they worked there. There are 4 adult caregiver and one helper who prepare the meals. I work alone cleaning this day care before they open up. I must pick up the dumped laundry and put it into the machine or if they dump it into the machine, I must take it out and loosen the folded laundry. I think it matters how it gets washed.

Last edited by Young Senior; 12-23-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Wanted and instead of the word

Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User
Re: Laundry problems unresolved,que sera sera

if you do the laundry you should say how it is washed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

My tendency is to agree, that it probably does matter if something is left folded up.
Maybe not a LOT, but I think it could affect it. Especially when cleanliness is so important considering your job, I understand what you're saying.
My concern for you is that it's not WHAT you are saying, but how you are saying it.
Maybe you can elect a different woman each day to have the job of shaking out and placing all dirty items in the (empty) washer. That way there can be some accountability. If you are the only one who disagrees, in my opinion this is an area where your value of cleanliness can shine. Don't worry about what the others think, and clean the way you feel is best. Wanting to do a job well is a wonderful quality to have. Don't give it up because no one wants to listen to you, or your ego is hurt because you aren't being obeyed. The end result of cleanliness should be your focus.

blessings, Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Young Senior (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
(female)

Young Senior HB User

One day I gave up asking,( I also used different words each time "please, please","I prefer that the..." I would rather the laundry..."could you please","may I please suggest...", and so on) and washed a normal load the way it was put in. Well it was a big mistake! Some of the blankets did not unfold, they stayed folded and I had to wash it all over again. I did not want to mention this because it will only stir up more problems with the other staff, but isn't it the normal thing to do is sort out and balance the wash in the machine? They don't think that way, so I wrote a thank you for your response but I don't agree with the laundry and will leave it at that.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

Young Senior HB User

I do say how I feel and make suggestions but it is obvious that they don't see it that way. The notes that I write only gets erased next day, or they ignore it for a week, then I will give up and erase it myself. There were many caregivers as well as classroom cleaners that quit because of bad attitude from the new staffs.

Last edited by Young Senior; 12-23-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

I agree that things ideally need to be unfolded to be cleaned in a washing machine.

But. Unless you are their supervisor I think it's not your place to instruct the other workers. To tell co-workers your feeling about how they do their job is unproductive and can lead to you getting reprimanded or even fired for not getting along with them.

I'm not saying you are wrong about how to use the machine. I am saying if you are not in a position of authority over them, the proper recourse is to speak to your supervisor in private. Since you already told them how to do things, you may want to admit to your supervisor that you tried to talk with your co-workers because you often have to unfold things and rewash and re-dry what they put in folded. Explain that you realize now that you should have only spoken to her about this and tell her that you only want to assure that the laundry gets clean and sanitized.

Ask her how she wants you to handle this from now on. Then do exactly as she says, work your hours and leave the rest of the work to the other shifts. And leave talking to the co-workers up to her, and let the workers make their own mistakes.

Last edited by jillian4; 12-23-2011 at 10:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jillian4 For This Useful Post:
Young Senior (12-24-2011)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
(female)

Jayney HB User
Re: Laundry problems unresolved, que sera sera

I think it might depend a lot on what kind of washing machine you have. Front loaders won't do too much to loosen up items that are folder, whereas a top loader will I think. Just my opinion, and it's really besides the point. Like someone else said, you're doing the washing so you should say how it's done.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
(female)

jmcw HB User
Re: Laundry problems unresolved, que sera sera

As a Mom who does a lot of laundry I can say YES it does matter how a washer is loaded. When I bought my washer, the paperwork clearly stated that items should be loosely added to the washer not folded, bunched, balled, or rolled up.
as for how to approach the situation, I completely agree with what Jill said.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread