It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Will give up internet and cancel it. It's not Unhealthy is it?

People are too into the internet and some people claim we can't survive with out. I mean i can use email in the internet etc.. But as far as getting information and constantly doing facebook and constantly wanting information from search engines and twitter and all that.. It's not making me any better. I'm just tired of it. I really want to do stuff and stop wasting time.

what do you think?

It's healthy if i dont want to use internet, right?
Anyways, i already made up my mind to cancel it

Last edited by Administrator; 04-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Will give up internet and cancel it. It's not Unhealthy is it?

I love having access to the internet and people "out there". But I'm not addicted to the people.

I have an enquiring mind. I, as well, have health issues, and seek information to either suggest to others or to learn from them.

I find it invaluable.

I have little to do with facebook, never do twitter (actually, I think it's stupid). I find that for many things, YouTube is extremely helpful for a wide range of reasons.

It's definitely your choice to cancel, but maybe you should investigate your purpose for using it before cutting off connections.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
(male)

gore189 HB User

You have some very interesting points and i must say, the internet can be very addictive but i love the fact that i can come to sites like this and learn so much valuble information that i would have not got anywhere else..

As far as the Facebooks, Myspaces and social sites like that, it is a matter of how much self control you have with these sites and if self control is your problem, then gambling, or drugs or any other habital thing will overtake you in other walks in life.

As i see it, its your own call and only you can make such a call... kinda like the person who wants to just watch tv but cant control how much they are into reality TV.... The good thing about it all though is its about choice and the choices we make

Last edited by gore189; 04-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User

It is one of the greatest achievements of mankind and all the information (including this forum) you have access to wouldn't be possible without. It's really a gift to our society

Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

My wife and I rely on the Internet for finances, paying bills, investing, keeping in touch with friends and family, health research, buying the best quality at the best price, music, videos, TV programs, medical/dental appointments, our schedule, news, game playing, scheduling and coordinating vacations, etc.

It is a real time saver and provides a way to supplement income.

Plus..... I am retired, and have plenty of time on my hands. So besides doing a demanding daily exercise program, and extensively using TIVO, the Internet provides me with a great many hours of enjoyment!

What's not to love about the Internet!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
(male)

Dalton683 HB User

All things in moderation. Are you sure your life won't become equally unbalanced for having no internet at all? It's the way the world is moving. Just food for though.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User

Sure, if you think it's better for your health not to use the internet, or are just not interested in it, it's fine to stop using it. Plenty of people don't use the internet. Usually older people, or people who can't afford it (but they might still go to a library to use the internet). My Grandma really only uses it for e-mail.
It is a great convenience to have access to it because there is so much information to be found, but it's not unhealthy NOT to use the internet. There are other ways to get information you may need- they just take longer.
I agree that some people are too addicted to the internet. They are on it for too many hours per day. I don't spend hours stalking people on Facebook like others do (though I do have a Facebook account and do think it's a good tool for keeping in touch with people if not used in excess). But I'm also a very curious person so I oftentimes looking up all kinds of information on the internet.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDistersoc78 View Post
I'm just tired of it. I really want to do stuff and stop wasting time.
If you're tired of the internet and feel that you're wasting your time, then go ahead and cancel it. As long as you have regular "stuff" to do that interests you, I don't see why it should be unhealthy. And, if you change your mind, you can always come back to it. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
(female)

weightloss11 HB User

Hi everybody,

We all know that every coin have two faces. So we should accept this part. If something is good for us then we have to use according to need but if we get dependent too much then result will be not accordingly. Today we spent all of day and then we realize that we haven't spent time for our self.

Thanx.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Yes I agree with the others who have posted. There are both negatives and positives to it.
Obliviously, you have all the negativity with the viruses and disturbing things that can be found on it. Not to mention the addiction that accompanies it. However, you also have to consider the positivity here too. You have unlimited sources where people can find information on whatever pops into their head. Not to mention all the help (like the HealthBoards) where people can find support just one click away! Also, you have easy communication with friends who live far away!

Overall, I do admit that the internet has become cruel and has many faults. But I'd keep it because I'm a student and it really helps me massively. Plus I find great information sources for everyday things on HealthBoards and elsewhere. The positivity far outweighs the negatives. I'd say keep it, but moderation is key.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

The amount of internet connected devices in my house is unbelievable: multiple computers, multiple phones, video game systems etc.

Sometimes I do think about disconnecting the entire family completely.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi MrDistersoc80, some doctors say the computers put off electromagnetic radiation which is harmful to health and others say the router for wireless activity gives people trouble with sleeping at night and possible trouble to the nervous system. Of course everyone makes their own health care decisons, and some claim there are sheilds for the screen available, of course I am not all that sure of effectiveness or lack of effectiveness. Of course some of the things learned on there can be good for health and visa versa. Peace to all, sjb

Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
(female)

Ruby claire HB User

Now a days Net surfing is the biggest Drug a man is addicted to ! lolz :P

Old 07-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

johnirwin HB User

All the power to you if you can give it up.
I can't imagine giving up internet! Even when I go on vacation with my wife, we can't seem to get away, we're always having to check our email and respond to things frequently.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnirwin For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-06-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

My thinking is if it is bothering you,most likely you are on the Internet MORE than you realize and your subconscious is telling you to cut back.
But I think you may be having a knee jerk reaction. Yes, the internet is a gift to our society as some poster said.

And we don't even get the paper anymore. Why do that when i kind find out everything I ever want to know at my fingertips?

And yet, there are those who are on it 5-10 hrs a day. When do they work I want to know?

I think moderating your use and where you go is important before you just shut everything down. I have seen things on the web that have been so helpful to my health!
And safety for my family.

i will never shut down the internet because there is no substitute for it. But yes, less is more. Cut down your usage to an hour or two spread over the day.

And stay away from the sites you know nothing about.
Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater tho.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Closed Thread