It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

It's Life - Off Topic Discussions Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

tiredofbeingmad HB User
Lightbulb Any Tips on how to write a journal?

I have found in the past for me, when I write in a journal I write what I want to hear.

Does anyone have any tips on how to write a great journal? I need to get out my thoughts so I can get on with my life happily.

Thank you for anything you can offer.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User
Re: Any Tips on how to write a journal?

If you'd like to check out some examples, try reading The Princess Diaries Series by Meg Cabot and Dear Papa by Anne Ylvisaker. They are good letter writing books.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrAK For This Useful Post:
tiredofbeingmad (04-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Am I correct that your point in writing a journal is just to organize your thoughts, get things off your chest, etc. rather than writing it for publication or for others to read? I am going to assume the former -- that it is for you.

If that is the case and in the past you feel you are not being honest with yourself, I would suggest a technique that was used when my kids were in early elementary school. Write stream of consciousness -- think about jotting down thoughts rather than writing in sentences. Write down whatever pops into your head...like you are copying down what that little voice in your mind is saying...and just let it go...almost like your hand isn't attached to the brain. After a while you may discover that you "think" about a specific topic more than others...or that the same topic comes up over and over.

If you want, you can then take that topic and write about it in more depth and can begin using a more formal structure if you want. One technique is to pretend you are telling a story to yourself. Talk to yourself, your journal, or some imaginary or real person. Write as you would write a letter.

Hope this helps. You can always look online for further tips!

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
Phoenix (04-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
tiredofbeingmad (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

tiredofbeingmad HB User

I want to write so I can get rid of the thoughts... What comes into my mind seems to stay and I rehearse over and over and it just won't leave. Pass even future thoughts all the time. I have tried journal-ing many times and I just don't feel like I get anywhere. Only because I'm trying to write what went on that day instead of what is on my mind.. Confusing!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
(female)

socialsum1234 HB User

Journal-ing to me is all about whats on your mind. If you want to clear your mind you can pick a topic outside of your current thoughts and jot down ideas related to that topic that should help sway your thoughts.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
(male)

doodoodoo5 HB User

I'd start a blog about what comes to mind - you never have to worry about losing what you've written

Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
(female)

socialsum1234 HB User

that is a neat idea

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
(male)

Dalton683 HB User

I found that if I spend a couple of minutes literally writing nonsense as fast as I can, no punctuation, no spelling, no time to stop and think, that after a page or two of stream of consciousness I am not only startled by what my freeform train of thought had to say, but also I'm clear headed to write something with a little more thought behind it.

Closed Thread