It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2003, 07:04 AM   #1

prente6 HB User
Unhappy frequent urination

I have experienced frequent urination for a few weeks now, I am going every three hours and notice water colored or light yellow urine. I notice that I always experience flatulence at the same time. I checked the symptoms of kidney disease and do not feel swelling, fatigue, shortness of breath, cold temperatures or loss of appetite. As far as diabetes, I do not feel increased thirst, loss of concentration or itching. For the last two nights I have woken up to urinate in the middle of the night. I did drink some ginger tea (diuretic) a few weeks ago but have since stopped but ocassionally have some carbonated drinks like orange soda. The urination that I experience is never painful or difficult, but the urine is abundant and more frequent than I am used to. I go about 4 times between 6AM and 4PM and then every five hours after, but most recently every two hours. If anyone can offer assistance, please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Re: frequent urination

Have you increased your water intake lately?

I noticed you have listed a few symptoms if kidney disease and you've mentioned that, because you don't have these symptoms you probably don't have kidney disease. Well, those symptoms don't show up unless you have CHRONIC kidney disease, which takes years to develop. You were right to be worried about diabetes, however, as that can manifest itself as polyuria (i.e. frequent urination). There are other things that can cause frequent urination and that is: hypercalcemia (high calcium in the blood), ATN (acute tubular necrosis....unlikely to be you), diuretic use (whether pharmacological or natural)and even urinary tract infections.

What you need to do is go to the doctor, get a urinalysis done along with bloodwork to see if anything is out of whack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2003, 05:35 PM   #3

Geckogal HB User

Well, it sounds normal to me, but I have an overactive bladder, so what do I know? Just kidding. Anyhow, the color you describe your urine as is normal and completely healthy. People should strive to keep their urine as pale and clear as possible. It shows that you are not dehydrated. Second of all, caffeine, like in those orange sodas, is a diuretic itself, as is alcohol, coffee, tea, etc. Don't drink these right before you go to bed. If it starts to burn or anything, visit a doctor. It could be a sign of a urinary tract infection, but right now it sounds perfectly fine to me.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User

Hi geckogal....your post has a lot of different misconceptions in it that I want to diffuse right here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckogal
.Anyhow, the color you describe your urine as is normal and completely healthy. People should strive to keep their urine as pale and clear as possible.
One of your body's normal ways of getting rid of bilirubin is through your urine (in the conjugated form). This is what gives your urine the yellowish colour. Now, I'm not saying that you keep your urine so dark that it's orange, but keeping your urine clear means that you are drinking too much water, and yes as unbelievable as this is going to sound, drinking that much water is actually dehydrating you!!! When you are chronically keeping your urine clear, it means that you're drinking more water than your body needs. There are two things wrong with this.

#1. Your body needs salt in order to absorb water...if you drink a little extra free water, then you'll just pee it out; however, if you chronically drink a lot of extra free water, you start pulling water that you need out of your body (through your kidneys) when you pee.

#2. When you chronically drink too much water, you wash out the medulla of your kidney which drops the concentration gradient contained therein. This is called medullary washout, and as a result of this, your body is not able to concentrate urine properly and you'll pee clear even when your body WANTS to keep water (which is a bad thing). So, this whole idea of drinking 8 glasses of water a day is actually a misinterpreted point from an old study. Drinking a few glasses of water a day in combination with all the other food we eat is more than enough water during the day.
Quote:
It shows that you are not dehydrated.
Like I explained above, this is wrong--especially if you have medullary washout like many people in this country do because they constantly drink free water.
Quote:
Second of all, caffeine, like in those orange sodas, is a diuretic itself, as is alcohol, coffee, tea, etc. Don't drink these right before you go to bed.
I agree that caffeine is a diuretic, and I agree that you shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages before bed, BUT, your body doesn't know the difference between the water in coffee, the water in soup, or the water in a bottle. As long as you're not drinking a TON of coffee every day, the water in the coffee counts towards your daily recommended intake! Also, not that I'm saying that you should have a salty snack with your water, but drinking something like gatorade, or eating something like a sandwich when you drink water is enough salt to keep your kidneys happy.
Quote:
If it starts to burn or anything, visit a doctor. It could be a sign of a urinary tract infection, but right now it sounds perfectly fine to me.
There is a significant proportion of urinary tract infections that present as increased urinary frequency with no burning. I don't think it's responsible to tell someone who normally doesn't pee frequently that she probably doesn't have a UTI, because that's just not right.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #5

Geckogal HB User

Excuse me projapoti, for your misunderstanding my post, but what I have learned is from my own experience as a nursing student and as someone who goes to the doctors frequently and asks constantly about this. Call me stupid, but I am well informed on this matter as I've had many UTI's and classes on this subject, and I deserve more respect than to just be put down when I try to help someone.

If you drink enough water a day, your kidneys will in fact become healthier and your urine will be clear. Doctors and medical books constantly say that you need to try to get your urine as colorless as possible, and that it is healthy. It does not sound like this young woman is drinking too much water from what she has been saying. And soda will just dehydrate her more.

I don't see what was misunderstood about the coffee post of anything, just that it shouldn't be taken before bed.

Maybe this girl has an overactive bladder. Go to the doctors instead of getting advice from here, and check your white blood cell count in your urine. If the WBC is high and bacteria is present, you may need to get a prescription antibiotic to get rid of the bacteria. But whatever you do, if there is no infection, don't take anything to get rid of it. It will just lead to more resistant beacteria when you do have a UTI.

Last edited by Geckogal; 11-28-2003 at 09:47 AM.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User

Quote:
Call me stupid, but I am well informed on this matter as I've had many UTI's and classes on this subject, and I deserve more respect than to just be put down when I try to help someone.
No one's calling anyone stupid here geckogal! And I'm not putting you down...I'm just dispelling some common misconceptions. And I know the nurses have a lot of knowledge on this matter! I've taught four classes to them in nephrology, including an introduction to UTIs I LOVE the nursing class that I've taught....I'm a HUGE advocate of a partnership, not a competition, between RNs and MDs, and also nursing and medical students (as I'm sure you are too). In fact, a lot of the medical stuff I've learned along the way has been from the nurses I've worked with! So trust me, there is no disrespect here.
Quote:
If you drink enough water a day, your kidneys will in fact become healthier and your urine will be clear. Doctors and medical books constantly say that you need to try to get your urine as colorless as possible, and that it is healthy. It does not sound like this young woman is drinking too much water from what she has been saying. And soda will just dehydrate her more.
I am not disrespecting you geckogal, but disagreeing with you--I hope you can see that now.

Doctors do NOT say to constantly drink water (or at least they shouldn't..and I know a nephrologist would NEVER tell you this unless you had some chronic kidney stones or were taking certain nephrotoxic drugs), they say to drink ENOUGH water. And no, the more water you drink does NOT make your kidneys more healthy. As a nursing student, I know you know how kidney physiology works, and as a nephrology trainee I can tell you that chronic overdrinking of water (evidenced by keeping your urine clear all the time) causes medullary washout. The extreme case is of the patient with psychogenic polydipsia who is not able to concentrate his/her urine even WHEN (s)he is dehydrated. Now this is not the case with most people, but there is a degree of medullary washout in everyone that drinks a ton of water a day.

I also know that you know that the largest portion of water that you absorb by FAR is with sodium at the proximal tubules and in the loop of henle. Without salt, you're losing a lot of the water you drink (if drink a lot) in your urine....
Quote:
Maybe this girl has an overactive bladder. Go to the doctors instead of getting advice from here, and check your white blood cell count in your urine. If the WBC is high and bacteria is present, you may need to get a prescription antibiotic to get rid of the bacteria. But whatever you do, if there is no infection, don't take anything to get rid of it. It will just lead to more resistant beacteria when you do have a UTI.
See, now you're saying that she might have a UTI. That's what I was saying in the first place. Please don't turn this in to a fight between a nursing student and a medical student (because it shouldn't be about that)....I respect what you know, and working with you guys/gals, I know you know a lot. But please also respect what I am saying....internal medicine and nephrology is the concentration (pun intended ) of my knowledge through the path I've chosen to follow.

...and I apologize again if it seemed like I was disrespecting you. No hard feelings?

Last edited by projapoti; 11-28-2003 at 10:20 AM.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #7

Geckogal HB User

Don't worry. No hard feelings. And I haven't yet had a nephrology lesson that has been in great detail yet. That comes next semester. And yes, I did have a doctor to tell me to drink as much water as possible when I had a UTI myself. Maybe they were the one misinformed.

Closed Thread