It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2003, 07:27 AM   #1

Creeky HB User
Please Help..Blood in Urine and hands & feet are swollen..whats happening?

Hi Everyone,

Lately I haven't been feeling well, so I went to my doctor and asked him to send me for bloodwork. My complaints are; I am thirsty all the time, frequent urination, stomach is tender to the touch, pain under ribs, slight fevers, weight gain, loss of appetite, tired all the time and my hands and feet are swollen.

Well, my doctor sent me to get bloodwork done, and everything came back good except for the blood that they found in my urine. I assume my doctor was having me checked for diabetes, thyroid and ect, and that is why I had a full work up. My doctors office called me yesterday, and told me to make an appointment with the Urologist.

Can anyone tell why you would have blood in your urine? I guess what scares me the most is the fact that my hands and feet are swollen. What causes your hands and feet to swell? My hands and feet became swollen after I had the bloodwork done, so my doctor isn't even aware of this yet. Does my symptomsl sound like a kidney infection? Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever had these symptoms, and if so, what was it?

I would appreciate any information that you guys could provide me.

Thank you in advance,
~Creeky

Last edited by Creeky; 12-09-2003 at 07:31 AM.

Old 12-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Please Help..Blood in Urine and hands & feet are swollen..whats happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeky
Hi Everyone,

Lately I haven't been feeling well, so I went to my doctor and asked him to send me for bloodwork. My complaints are; I am thirsty all the time, frequent urination, stomach is tender to the touch, pain under ribs, slight fevers, weight gain, loss of appetite, tired all the time and my hands and feet are swollen.

Well, my doctor sent me to get bloodwork done, and everything came back good except for the blood that they found in my urine. I assume my doctor was having me checked for diabetes, thyroid and ect, and that is why I had a full work up. My doctors office called me yesterday, and told me to make an appointment with the Urologist.

Can anyone tell why you would have blood in your urine? I guess what scares me the most is the fact that my hands and feet are swollen. What causes your hands and feet to swell? My hands and feet became swollen after I had the bloodwork done, so my doctor isn't even aware of this yet. Does my symptomsl sound like a kidney infection? Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever had these symptoms, and if so, what was it?

I would appreciate any information that you guys could provide me.

Thank you in advance,
~Creeky
Your hands and feet being swollen can mean a number of things. It could be that your heart isn't pumping blood properly...it could mean that your kidneys aren't filtering blood and eliminating fluid properly, and it can also mean that your liver outflow tract is obstructed. With the heart and liver condition, there are many other symptoms that go along with it, and since you sound relatively asymptomatic, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Now on to your kidneys. If you are losing protein in your urine which is because the little sieves in your kidneys called "glomeruli" have become somewhat leaky and are letting protein get through, you can start to swell. Normally, protein in your capillaries draws fluid back in after it has gone to the tissues....if you are losing protein in your blood, you capillaries are not able to draw this fluid back in and your ankles especially can swell. Take your finger and press in to either one of your shins--does it leave a pit? If it does, it definitely means you have extra fluid on board.

Now, your urine also showed traces of blood...this can mean that the blood is coming either from your kidneys, your bladder, your ureters or your urethra. Some more investigations need to be done on your urine, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea for you to be sent to a nephrologist rather than a urologist.

It might make more sense that there is something wrong at the kidney level because that would fit with having blood cells in your urine along with protein and your swelling--this is a condition known as NEPHRITIC syndrome and is an indicator of some disease process in the kidneys.

Tell me something...do you have any systemic diseases like high blood pressure? diabetes? lupus? rheumatoid arthritis? Anything like that?
Is there any history of kidney disease in your family?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 05:20 AM   #3
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytrans
Your hands and feet being swollen can mean a number of things. It could be that your heart isn't pumping blood properly...it could mean that your kidneys aren't filtering blood and eliminating fluid properly, and it can also mean that your liver outflow tract is obstructed. With the heart and liver condition, there are many other symptoms that go along with it, and since you sound relatively asymptomatic, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Now on to your kidneys. If you are losing protein in your urine which is because the little sieves in your kidneys called "glomeruli" have become somewhat leaky and are letting protein get through, you can start to swell. Normally, protein in your capillaries draws fluid back in after it has gone to the tissues....if you are losing protein in your blood, you capillaries are not able to draw this fluid back in and your ankles especially can swell. Take your finger and press in to either one of your shins--does it leave a pit? If it does, it definitely means you have extra fluid on board.

Now, your urine also showed traces of blood...this can mean that the blood is coming either from your kidneys, your bladder, your ureters or your urethra. Some more investigations need to be done on your urine, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea for you to be sent to a nephrologist rather than a urologist.

It might make more sense that there is something wrong at the kidney level because that would fit with having blood cells in your urine along with protein and your swelling--this is a condition known as NEPHRITIC syndrome and is an indicator of some disease process in the kidneys.

Tell me something...do you have any systemic diseases like high blood pressure? diabetes? lupus? rheumatoid arthritis? Anything like that?
Wow, you really sound as if you know what your talking about....I am having troubles too in this area. I had a kidney ultrasound and they found one kidney smaller than the other so they sent me for a IVP. That was done last week and I have not heard back from the doctor yet. My blood work all came back good. I have had a pain in my back for about three weeks now....driving me crazy. Now my feet are swollen. I have always had a little bit of swelling but today is much more. I am just a bit concerned and wish the doc. would call me. I am to see him next week. The only thing I keep saying to myself is that if it was really serious, you would think he would call me?? Anyway, does any of this sound like anything you may have an idea of what may be going on with me? Generally very good health, no high blood pressure, ever, a little over weight but not by much, no blood in the urine....help!!

Last edited by cjanierun; 12-11-2003 at 01:48 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanierun
Wow, you really sound as if you know what your talking about....I am having troubles too in this area. I had a kidney ultrasound and they found one kidney smaller than the other so they sent me for a IVP. That was done last week and I have not heard back from the doctor yet. My blood work all came back good. I have had a pain in my back for about three weeks now....driving me crazy. Now my feet are swollen. I have always had a little bit of swelling but today is much more. I am just a bit concerned and wish the doc. would call me. I am to see him next week. The only thing I keep saying to myself is that if it was really serious, you would think he would call me?? Anyway, does any of this sound like anything you may have an idea of what may be going on with me? Generally very good health, no high blood pressure, ever, a little over weight but not by much, no blood in the urine....help!!
Hey there...you probably'll want to erase your email address from your last reply...the mods here might get upset if they see it.

I'm not totally sure what's going on with you, but you could have a nephrotic syndrome. What you probably need next is to check for the presence of protein in your urine, as well as either a spot urine protein, or a 24-hour urine protein collection to quantify JUST how much protein you are losing in your urine (if you are indeed losing protein).

As for one of your kidneys being smaller than the other, that COULD (and I repeat COULD) represent some chronic process going on with your kidney, but it doesn't necessarily have to.

Is there anyone in your family that has kidney disease?

Old 12-11-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Quote:
Hey there...you probably'll want to erase your email address from your last reply...the mods here might get upset if they see it.

I'm not totally sure what's going on with you, but you could have a nephrotic syndrome. What you probably need next is to check for the presence of protein in your urine, as well as either a spot urine protein, or a 24-hour urine protein collection to quantify JUST how much protein you are losing in your urine (if you are indeed losing protein).

As for one of your kidneys being smaller than the other, that COULD (and I repeat COULD) represent some chronic process going on with your kidney, but it doesn't necessarily have to.

Is there anyone in your family that has kidney disease?
Hi, thanks so much for getting back to me and I did erase my e-mail...thanks for that little bit of information also!!
No, my family always has been healthy in the kidney area.....my doctor told me yesterday that it more than likely is a birth defect and that is normal. He called me today and gave me the test results from all the blood work, everything was great! All my levels are exactally where they are to be..my blood pressure is good. The function of the kidney and output is normal. Bun and all that is normal. I have an appointment with my urologist on Tuesday for the result of the IVP, but feel much better knowing that everything else is good. My internist told me that he really thinks everything is going to be good from his report also. So we will just wait to see but I am feeling soooo much better. I am on a low sodium diet and the swelling yesterday we think came from a Christmas party the evening before and everything that I ate and drank. Then went home, drank no water and went right to bed. Today, I am back to normal. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I do each and every person in this posting....Take care..

Old 12-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #6

SuzyQQz HB User

Quote:

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=7][COLOR=Indigo]

Old 12-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #7

SuzyQQz HB User

Did they ever find out what your problem was, I just found this site when I was researching my father's problems. He has something called Berger's disease and has the very same symtoms you have. If you would like to e mail me you are welcome to do so.. I hope they have found out what is going on with you

All My Best,
Suzy

Closed Thread