It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Does blood in urine continue as long as you have a stent?

10 days since procedure, stent comes out friday, at the 14 day mark. Still seeing blood in urine. Will this ever stop, or will it only stop after stent is removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 AM   #2

checkmate HB User
Re: Does blood in urine continue as long as you have a stent?

In my case the urine looked like fruit punch until stent was removed. Was back to normal color less than six hours after stent was removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
In my case the urine looked like fruit punch until stent was removed. Was back to normal color less than six hours after stent was removed.

Same here, it just wories me, all that blood lost scares me.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape66
Same here, it just wories me, all that blood lost scares me.
Well Hello Again Farscape. Yes the blood is perfectly normal. I stopped bleeding for a few hours but as long as i had the stent in, I did bleed. You have to remember one very important fact. If you take a gallon of water and put on drop of food coloring in it, the whole things is gonna be red. There probably isn't as much blood as you think, it looks like a LOT more than thier actually is. I was worried about it for awhile too. I lucked out and never bled at all after the stent was removed only while i had it in and after the surgery.

Wish you the best !

Old 01-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Well friday at 1:30 is stent removal time, I cannot wait to get this over with, two weeks of bleeding and painful urination is a bit much to take. I still think there has to be a bettere way. Perhaps instead of a stent they inject a drug into the ureter that keeps it from colapsing while it heals. This is all way to low tech and barbaric and inconvient to the patient.

I believe the only reason they do it this way is so the can charge a snall fortune to remove the stent later.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:00 PM   #6

checkmate HB User

Quote:

I believe the only reason they do it this way is so the can charge a snall fortune to remove the stent later.
In my case stent removal was included in charge for procedure, which while it was paid for by insurance, didn't seem that high to me.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
In my case stent removal was included in charge for procedure, which while it was paid for by insurance, didn't seem that high to me.
I saw on another board somewehere that the charge for stent removal was $2500. I have yet to get an itemized bill for the procedure, si I do not know if it is included or not.

How did your stent removal go, was it easy and quick?

Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #8
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
and painful urination is a bit much to take.
That painful urination is so much more painful than the stent being taken out.
they do it because believe it or not it helps your body to heal, especially the ureter, i noticed after i got mine out, it restricted the amount of movement in the ureter and kidneys. 9 times of 10 they don't completely get rid of all the stone particles either and they don't want a fragment injuring you or getting stuck. I had a few fragments come out of me and it was worth it, having the stent, because i think it would have very painful without it.

A lady in front of me had surgery before and they didn't use a stent and she was in so much pain afterward she made sure beyond a shaow of a doubt they were gonna use one this time.

As far as cost i have no idea, i had to go through the county program because i didn't have insurance.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:27 AM   #9

checkmate HB User

[QUOTE=farscape66]I saw on another board somewehere that the charge for stent removal was $2500.

QUOTE]

Total bills for me, including two days hospital, OR, urologist, anesthesioligist(sp),and all the assorted misc that goes along with it was just over $3800. Of that amount insurance paid about $2600, I paid $0.00 (had already met maximum patient pay on previous hospitilization), and the remainder was written off by the providers who are part of insurance listed providers.

I agree with serialnovelist concerning reason for stents, and also degree of discomfort with removal compared to discomfort prior to its removal.

Only one day left and it will all be a thing of the past. Good luck, and don't worry about it too much.

Closed Thread