It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #1

tyler7 HB User
Very foul smell to my urine

Hi, I've been a regular for awhile over at the Pain Mgmt Board. I'm sure it's very likely this question could sound very bizarre.

We all know that even the healthiest of urine, now matter how hydrated you are, doesn't smell pleasant. But for a little over a week now, my particularly smells awfuly, much like rotten eggs. It took me a day or two to figure out the smell's origin, depending on where I was at the time, it finally hitting me it was when I was going to the bathroom, and specifically the urine.

At first I was a little dehydrated, for there was definitely a deep yellow, but didn't chalk it up to that because I've been that dehydrated before (and worse) but never had this smell. Besides, after getting back to a good amount of fluids it's still been there, very pungeant.

The only clue I can give is that I may possibly have a sinus infection, because for over 2 weeks now (starting before the urine), I've been having horrendous all-day headaches, and some symptoms are pointing to the h/a's being due to the sinuses. Actually I should say the last 2-3 days the h/a's have been much more mild, but I still feel them sometimes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I should get a urinanalysis, but unfortunately don't have the luxury of doing that immediately, so I wanted to bring this up here. I thank you for you input.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Very foul smell to my urine

Well, the foul smelling urine can be indicative of a urinary tract infection, though that is a little odd if you're male (I shouldn't assume that Tyler is a male's name though ). Have you had any other symptoms such as a recent increase in how often you're urinating? Any burning when you urinate? Back pain? Fever? Have you recently had unprotected sex?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #3

tyler7 HB User

Butterfly,

I would like to think that I am a man I had meant to put those other details in my post preemptively and I forgot, and you brought them up. Most importantly being it does NOT burn when I urinate, nor have I been going more often. No new unusual back pain (aside from my usual, due to cervical disc problems), though I do have a history of kidney stones, but the times I've had them before, while there was blood in the urine, it never smelled like this. Also I'm not feverish and I haven't had unprotected sex.

Btw, I had also made my original post over on the Urology board as well. Thanks

Old 01-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

actually, there still may be blood in your urine, it's just microscopic. why don't you go and get your urine dipped at the doctor's office?

Old 02-04-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
(male)

diitto HB User

Have you been eating asparagus lately?? About half the population will notice a very peculiar and quite pungent urine odor after eating asparagus a day or two before. And for it to last a week, you would have to be eating it sort of each day and I imagine that isn't very likely unless you have say some asaparagus containing casserole that you keep diving into each day or so for a while... Asparagus contains sulfur containing amino acids that break down during digestion into a number of sulfur containing compounds. Some scientists say only half the population has the right genes to make the compounds and others say everyone makes the compounds but only about half the population has the ability to smell the pungent odor. But if you ever do smell it, you will remember it... I am one who truly can smell it.. When I eat asparagus I smell the strong and quite notable odor the next day and sometimes into the one after. So again, if you're smelling it for a week and it is asparagus related, you must be eating at least some asparagus each day or so...

Closed Thread