It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Question Kidney stone not passing

Hi,
I found out I had a 1/2 cm kidney stone last May(CT scan). I didn't have any pain at the time, but I started having some pain a couple months later. I'll go for a couple weeks without having any problems and then I'll be in horrible pain for a few days. Sometimes my pain is in my back and sometimes it's in my lower abdomen.
Anyway, my question is-Is it normal for a stone to take this long to pass? It's been 8 months since I found out about it. Also, I've been drinking water like crazy, but it doesn't seem to help.
Thanks,
hilery

Old 01-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #2
(female)

Izmik HB User
Re: Kidney stone not passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
I found out I had a 1/2 cm kidney stone last May(CT scan). I didn't have any pain at the time, but I started having some pain a couple months later. I'll go for a couple weeks without having any problems and then I'll be in horrible pain for a few days. Sometimes my pain is in my back and sometimes it's in my lower abdomen.
Anyway, my question is-Is it normal for a stone to take this long to pass? It's been 8 months since I found out about it. Also, I've been drinking water like crazy, but it doesn't seem to help.
Thanks,
hilery
Hi hilery same problem here. I have an 11mm stone ( 1cm) that hasnt passed either. I think sometimes its trying to make an escape. Woo is me if it does. The urologist seems to think its been growing there for years. All of a sudden it reaches 10mm and starts giving me grief. They say whilst the stone is in the kidney its not supposed to cause any pain. I dont believe that for one minute. Sometimes I have pain in my back and other times I feel like I have it over my hip area. I also had hydronephresis in my right kidney but no stone. I had another ultrasound just the other day, no sign of hydronephresis. This has been 4 months for me since finding out. Now I have a very swollen type of lump ( its soft like its filled with fluid )going across my abdomen just under my breasts but across the rib cage its like it goes from one kidney to the other. Its got me stumped. I have another appointment to see the doctor on Friday as I had a liver function test, pylori helicobacter test and the upper quadrant ultrasound. Let me know how you go with yours. Im at my wits end with this.

Isobelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 09:31 AM   #3

cystineman HB User
Smile Re: Kidney stone not passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
Thanks,
hilery
It can definitly take that long or longer.I dont know how much water you take in but i have passed probably 50 stones that large and i try to drink about 2 gallons of water a day..its not easy to drink that much but if more people would they would have alot less problems..good luck!

Old 03-12-2004, 10:29 AM   #4

fairchild HB User

I had a kidney stone when I was 16. I went to the hosptial and I was in so much pain. They had to give me shots like every hour just to numb the pain. Anyways, they did some x-rays and found out it was a kidney stone. The next day, they did the x-ray and found it was gone. Then, oddly enough I started to get pains again and it came back. Like it was floating around and doing a dissapearing act on the doctors. Well, he wanted me to have surgery. Was deathly scared of that but then the pain went away. He let me go home, well I never did find out if I passed it or not. It was not any bigger than a tip of a pen..thats what my doctor said. Anyways, I either passed it or it dissolved in my system. Now I'm 21 and I have no pain at all. So, don't worry..it will eventually go away.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:00 AM   #5
(female)

Izmik HB User

Hi Fairchild that is really great that you got rid of your kidney stone and that you have had no more trouble with them. They dont all go away, depends how big they are. Mine is 11mm and I have had it for years....I dont think its going to go away anytime soon, its just going to grow bigger until they actually remove it, or I lose my kidney. Its also an oxalate stone, so it doesnt dissolve easily either. I have an appointment with the urologist on the 29th April for an opinion. Because mine is in the lower pole of my kidney the success rate of blasting it is lower than if it had been in some other part of the kidney. Will let you know if Im keeping it or if its going.
regards
Isobelle

Old 03-15-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

shan_y HB User

Hello,
In my experience they do not pass at all, not to say that yours won't. My doctor has someone pound on the kidney area to try and knock it loose. You could possibly try this but be prepared for that area to be really tender and sore. Good luck.

Shannon

Closed Thread