It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User
How many times should you urinate a day?

Hi everyone,
does anyone know how much liquid or water you should drink in a day in ounces? What is the amount you should urinate in a day in ounces and how many times?
When I was telling my doc that I was waking up every night having to urinate he thought that was wrong and had me tested for diabetes.

Thanks

Derek

Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 AM   #2
(female)

Izmik HB User
Re: How many times should you urinate a day?

I was told to drink at least 3 litres of water a day. When I did my 24 hour urine test I drank 3 litres and my urine output was 3 litres. With diabetes I think the urine output is more than you are actually taking in. I dont know what 3 litres of water is in ounces tho.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
(male)

diitto HB User
Re: How many times should you urinate a day?

I believe what is considered to be normal urination per 24 hours is on the order of 1.5 - 2.0 liters. One ounce = 29.57 milliliters so 1.5 - 2.0 liters (1500 - 2000 milliliters) equals 50.7 - 67.6 fluid ounces. I have recently done creatinine clearance tests where I was asked to carefully collect all urine over 24 hours. The first time I did so the total collection was 1.6 liters (over 24 hours) and the second time the total collection was 1.76 liters (again, over 24 hours).

You asked about urinating (excessively) at night. That is called "nocturia". Do a search on that word and you will find countless documents discussing the various possible causes. I began having heavy urination at night last summer and it was later discovered I have renal artery stenosis (blocked renal artery) in one kidney that had (in the summer) triggered high blood pressure as that one kidney began putting out large amounts of a hormone called renin to try to turn up the supply of blood to that kidney. Diabetes is another possible cause of increased urination at night. Advancing age is yet another possible reason as the kidneys begin to lose the capability to concentrate urine while we sleep, something that just happens with aging... And there are many other possible causes... Again, just do a search on "nocturia"... Hope that info is useful...

Closed Thread