It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User
can kidney stones in kidney cause pain?

Hi,
I am wondering if kidney stones in your kidney can cause pain. I have 3 or 4 small ones.. and the doctor said they shouldn't be what is causing my pain.
I feel like I am having renal colic and all the usual stuff. I have had stones off and on since 1990 so I understand how they feel. Has anyone had this problem and the doctor wouldn't do anything. I guess they don't like to zap them unless they are bigger. Thanks, Polly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #2

cynamon32 HB User
Re: can kidney stones in kidney cause pain?

Yes I've had several stones and the doc say it don't hurt did you ask the doc how does he/she know is it their body or yours?lol..Yes they can hurt but usuallly only if they move. Hvae they done any type of tests to see exactly where tehy are like an IVP or VCUG , I've alos had renul relux from removal of a stone stuck in my right ureter, good luck to ya nad go for another opinion I did..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

shan_y HB User

Hi Polly,

YES!!!!!!! As my doc said yesterday, they are taught in school that the stones do not cause pain unless they are causing blockage. However, he says that he believes that this is not true due to myself and his other patients dealing with stones. The stones can be blocking the small calculis?(spelling) inside the kidneys and be just as bothersome. And I would agree with the other post that unless they know your body or have dealt with stones themselves they can not say if you are in pain or not.

Good luck,
Shannon

Old 03-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, I am allergic to IVP dye so my uro doctor doesn't even go there.. for that. I had that cat scan is all. I agree, they don't know us. One thing is there aren't to many uro doctors where I live and this one has usually helped me alot. Polly

Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

HI Shannon, That makes alot of sense actually about the calculis. I never thought about that. See last time I had stones they were in my kidney like I said a few yrs ago and that doctor in Cleveland ( 3 hrs from me.) broke them up and didn't even think of not doing so. I will keep seeing what I can do. Take care too, Polly

Old 03-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
(female)

shan_y HB User

Polly,

How big are these new stones? As my doctor put it yesterday with me, anything 4 and under is about the size they breal them down to in lithotripsy. I have 5 in right and 3 in left. They range between 2.5 to 8, with the larger ones in the left. So we decided to go up and in to break them up and remove them. I beleive it is called Ureteroscopy (URS), but they will go into the kidney as well. Good luck.

Shannon

Old 03-31-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, I am not sure. Tell you what I will call later and find out. They aren't very big they said. I had one 10 mm once. I had one 7 mm once too so 8mm isn't small huh. Is what you are having different than lithotripsy? When do you have it done. Will keep you in my prayers, Polly

Closed Thread