It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

Kattie43 HB User
Does cipro work well for kidney infections?

My PA (physician assistant) prescribed this to me on Monday for a possible kidney infection. I actually feel worse now, four days into this pill. Very very lethargic and blah and achy. Is that normal for this medicine?

Last edited by Kattie43; 04-09-2004 at 07:19 AM.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #2

GirlinDistress HB User
Re: Does cipro work well for kidney infections?

I was also perscribed Cipro four months ago in the ER for a possible kidney infection.
I felt horrible to begin with, but it seems that the medication made me feel worse. After my 7 day course I continued to feel ill and have lower back pain, I wasn't even sure the infection was gone even though my follow up urine test was clear. After a while I seemed to be feeling better... but lately have started experiencing the pain in the same place. Now I'm wondering if there could still be something lingering? Or maybe I didn't even have a kidney infection in the 1st place and it was something else that made my back hurt, and the medication was what caused me to feel ill.
Try taking Acidophilus, its a probiotic thats supposed to keep things balanced in your tummy while the antibiotic does its job... I think it helped me cope, since I've always had a weak stomach.
Good luck & feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

shan_y HB User

Kattie43,

I have had numerous kidney infections in the past year and half due to stones and surgeries. I have been on Cipro and other antibotics and sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. They finally started doing urine cultures to test which type bacteria was causing the infection and which antibotics the infection was immune to. Hope that things get better soon.

Shannon

Old 04-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
(female)

MaryAnn HB User

Cipro did not help my kidney infection at all. It made me feel better than I had been feeling, but wasn't taking care of the infection like it should. I waited for two weeks to go back in-big mistake! I was then put on bactrim and felt great within 2 days. My doctor told me if you aren't feeling much better within 3 or 4 days on an antibiotic, it's not working the way it should. Live and learn I guess! Good luck to you.

Closed Thread