It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 AM   #1

NChar HB User
Microalbumin?!? What does it mean?

Hi a quick history of myself. I'm a 26 year old female, 150pnds. I had Graves Disease had RAI, now Hypothyroid. I have prenicious anemia, iron deficiency and very high cholesterol. Still feeling unwell, very fatigued, muscle and joint pain, my feet and hands swell and go numb when i use them for more then a couple hours.

I got a copy of my labs in today and one of the test i'm not familliar with was the microalbumin(urine). Mine came back as 43 normal range being anything under 20. Does this mean there is something wrong with my kidneys? I currently don't have diabetes. I was gestational dabetic 3 years ago. Is there any other disease that can cause this test to be off?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Microalbumin?!? What does it mean?

NChar,
Sorry about all of your problems!!! Gee you are so young to be have these problems. But, I guess you know that!

Microalbumin is a very small particle of protein that is detected in the urine. It means that your kidneys are passing protein. This test is very sensitive and lets the Doctor know that you are passing protein long before it become a bigger problem like kidney failure.

This test was developed several years ago and is about 30 times more sensitive than what was previously used. Microalbumin will show up before it is detected with a dip strip test for Protein.

Diabetes and high blood pressure are 2 common things that can cause it and it is usually treated at this early stage with a low dose of a blood pressure medicine like 10 mgrams of Lotensin--- an ACE inhibitor or similar medication.

God Bless---Harry

PS --- There is a condition ---MGUS -- Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance that can also cause it in 1% of people 25 yr to 4% of people greater than 70 yr old. I have this that is why I know about it!!!

Last edited by Harry; 04-29-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread