It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
1 Horseshoe Shaped Kidney

i just found out that my 7 week old son only has 1 kidney but it is horseshoe shaped with both ureters attached to either end. i am scheduled to go to a urologist and he is on an atibiotic until that time because he was in the hospital recently with a UTI.
does anyone else have just 1 kidney and is it horseshoe shaped? i am really concerned and am going nuts waiting for my appt with the urologist.
i dont know ANYTHING about this condition and would be grateful for ANY information.
baby brother to Vanessa & Tyler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 AM   #2

JULIE88 HB User
Re: 1 Horseshoe Shaped Kidney

Hi,
My 18 Year Old Daughter Has A Horseshoe Kiddney Also.
It Was Descovered During A Abdominal Ct Scan For Intestinal Issues, Anyway I Have Found No Info On This Subject, And Have Been Looking. The Radioligest (sp?) Said People Live Full And Normal Lives With This Condition And Rarely Know They Have It Unless Discovered Like We Did By Accident.
We Were Also Advised To Warn Doctors Who May Be Doing Abdominal Surgeries In The Future About This, As They Will Start A Hunt And Find Expidition If We Dont.
Have You Had Any More Info Than This?
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User

thank you for your reply. yes i have found out a little more but not much. my son is now 6 months old and he is still on antibiotics because he has a grade 2 reflex. he just had his 6th month ultrasound to check the reflex and he will be going to the urologist tomorrow to discuss the results. they tell me that his reflex could correct itself as time goes by but if not they would do surgery when he gets a little older. his horseshoe kidney is not actually horseshoe shaped as the radiologist showed me but basically both kidneys are fused together on one side. i dont know if that will interfear (sp?) with other organs but that is one of my questions for the urologist tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #4

JULIE88 HB User

lILSQUUITR75,
GOOD LUCK WITH THE UROLIGEST, PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IS GO'S.
JULIE

Old 11-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User

my sons appt with the urologist went well. i found out that his reflex is only a grade 1 and not a grade 2 as i reported earlier. that is awesome because grade 1 is the lowest grade and will hopefully correct itself. the dr. is keeping him on his antibiotic until next march when he will be 1 yrs old and they will do another VCUG to test his reflex. i pray that there is no reflex so he can get off this antibiotic.
thanks

Closed Thread