It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #1

emsachs HB User
Question Kidney Stones need help please

I was told Saturday that I have a 4mm kidneystone. My pain started about 1 week ago and had 2 bouts of excrutiating pain. I went to the ER on Saturday when I was diagnosed and they gave me painkillers and told me that I should go home, drink lots of water, take the painkillers and pass the stone.
Well, It is Monday (7/5) and it seems like nothing is happening. How long does it take to pass one of these?? I am not having any trouble urinatiing at all.
Could I have passed it without knowing it since i am on Vicodin? (wishful thinking??)
Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
(male)

kkip HB User
Re: Kidney Stones need help please

My experience is that a lack of pain does not mean that the stone has passed. Apparently, once the stone completely closes off you kidney, the pain will subside. However, if the kidney remains blocked for too long it can cause kidney failure.

My suggestion would be to make and appointment with a urologist now for an appointment in about 2-3 weeks. If you still have not passed the stone then the Urologist will want to take another set of x-rays. If there is no more progress of the stone or if the stone appears more than 5mm then they will probably want to schedule a procedure to remove the stone.

BTW, I went through this 3 years ago and that stone did not pass. I ended up having it lasered. I have had 2 more stones since then that have passed on there own with much less pain. The last one measures over 4mm and it passed on Saturday. Now I am looking to once again adjust my diet and hopefully put a stop to the darn things! No more stawbarries, no more chocolate and worste of all...no more peanut butter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #3

sopal1953 HB User

Ouch. I have had several stones in the past. It has been two years since the last one. I have had it take three months to pass a stone once. What I noticed was that I had a mild urgency to urinate for a few days before actually passing the stone. I guess from the stone bouncing around in my bladder. My stones tend to be somewhat smaller than yours, so my husband and I devised a hydrolics routine to help things along. First, I drink one (and ony one) beer followed by a couple of 8 ounce glasses of water. Then I continue to sip water frequently until the stone passes. I think the beer relaxes the plumbing and the water creates pressure to move things along. This has worked three times with little or no pain. By the way, use a urine strainer each time you urinate. Your stone might break up and look like little grains of sand each time you urinate. Also, your urologist would really like to analyze the content of the stone to determine if they are calcium oxalate, or something else. It is possible that a diet to avoid forming one type of stone will cause another type to form. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #4

emsachs HB User

Thanks for your responses. I went to see a urologist today who told me that the stone is at the end of the ureter but before it enters the bladder (apperently a place that stones sometimes get hung up).
He offered me 2 choices, (1) Keep drinking H2O and hopefully pass the stone. or (2) some type of outpatient procedure that they would go and get the stone (Using a basket???) and then have to put in a stent.
Has anyone had this procedure?
What is the recovery time like?
Any suggestions????
Someone also told me that warm baths help.
My wife seems to think that me doing jumping jacks would dislodge the stone (I'm not kidding)

My doctor has prescribed Vicodin ES. Does anyone know if this will kill most of the pain once the stone enters my bladder?? Or am I in for more agony?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:30 PM   #5

NevRgiveUp HB User

My last stone was 5mm. I was told that anything over 3mm is considered a "large" stone and can be extremly painful. Unfortuantly, I totally agree.

Everyones tolerence is different. I am one of those people that has a high tolerance to meds and low tolerance to pain. Very bad combination.

I had to pass both stones the hard way. I heard after the fact that they can blast the stones with sound waves, making them smaller and less painful to pass. ask your doctor about that. See how you feel, but make sure you keep in touch with your urologist.

If you have the opportunity to have it taken out, that's what I would do. The stones cause pain while moving. Once in the bladder, you probably won't feel pain again until it makes it way out.

If you decide to pass it naturally, it is very important that you strain your urine and take the stone to your Urologist. They test the stone, some blood, and a 24 hour Urine sample, and tell you what is causing the stones and what you need to do to help avoid them in tne future. This takes about 2 weeks.

I could not hold down water with mine, I threw up everything i tried to put in for 6 days and needed IV fluids. Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure you get the stone tested. I hope your experience is as painless as possible!

Old 07-07-2004, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Mine was 6mm and stuck at the same place just before entering the bladder. In January I had the removal procedure. It went very well except for 2 things. Afterwards I could not urinate, and had to wear a catheter bag for 4 days. Very uncomfortable. Secondly the stent caused considerable discomfort also, I was verey glad to get it out 2 weeks later.
___
I just wish I had been warned of the catheter side effect beforehand. Those things are horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
(male)

kkip HB User

Yes, I had the extraction procedure with my first stone. Honestly, it was an unpleasant experience mainly because of the d*mn stent. My stone was too big to remove with the basket so the doc used a laser to blast it. Also mine was hund up closer to the kindey than the bladder. The procedure itself is not fun but it is over rather quickly and in a day or two you feel okay. But the stent is there to torment you for a week. The main problem that I had was that it caused painful bladder spasms each time I urinated. Apparently there is medication to help with this but my doctor told me to tough it out. Easy for hime to say! Anyway a day after the stent was removed things got back to normal.

I have passed two stones since the procedure. Once the stone enters your bladder it come right out with very little pain. If I were in your shoes, I would probably try the water thing first...maybe add a beer or two. The only exception would be if I were in constant pain. Then I might just want to get it over with.

Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

I agree, the stent is horrible, pain with every urination. But the catheter is much much worse.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:43 AM   #9

randym431 HB User

As the stone gets close to the bladder, you begin to get that "I have to go" feeling. An intense itch/tingle feeling. Thats good news because the stone is nearly passed. Lots and lots of water helps a lot. And I have found an antibiotic also magically helps the stone pass, even though most doctors donít believe this. But they will give antibiotics when passing stones to keep from getting any infections. I've had stones that hung around for days.weeks until I took an antibiotic. Then, it ALWAYS passed within hours. Go Figure.
Calcium oxalate is the most common type of stone. I've found the magic key to stop new stones is eliminating the oxalate. For me, cutting out orange juice stopped new stones from forming. I drank a lot of OJ and never put the two together for years (oxalate/OJ = stones). Tea is also bad for oxalate stones. Just watch and know what you drink, and eliminate any oxalate drinks.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #10

emsachs HB User

Thanks everyone for your help.
Well, after a couple of days of drinking H2O, I am in no pain, in fact, I stopped taking the Vicodin. I even went to work yesterday. (Field medical sales).
My back hurts a little but almost nothing.
Could i have passed the stone without even knowing it?????
I have been straining my urine (and nothing) but actually missed a few times when I was at work yesterday

Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

It is posssible to pass and not know it. It happened to me once 20 years ago, and I was in the hospital straining urine too. Glad to hear it worked out!!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #12
(male)

kkip HB User

emsachs,

The stone may have entered your badder and you will be seeing it soon. However, I had two attacked two weeks appart that both required Vicodin. Then nothing, almost no simptoms at all. But it was still there.

I would recommend waiting a few weeks and if you do not catch the stone, go see your doctor. My doctor had me wait another couple of weeks and then get an IVP x-ray. This showed that the stone was still there and had completely blocked the ureter. Left unchecked, I might have had kidney failure. So an Ureteroscopy was performed to remove the stone about 2 months after the 1st attack.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #13

NevRgiveUp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsachs
Thanks everyone for your help.
Well, after a couple of days of drinking H2O, I am in no pain, in fact, I stopped taking the Vicodin. I even went to work yesterday. (Field medical sales).
My back hurts a little but almost nothing.
Could i have passed the stone without even knowing it?????
I have been straining my urine (and nothing) but actually missed a few times when I was at work yesterday
I don't think you can pass a 4mm stone and not feel it, but I guess anything is possible. You should make an appointment with your urologist, they will do a scan and be able to tell you if you still have the stone or any others.

I would keep straining until you see your doctor. When my stones entered the bladder, I didn't feel any pain again until I passed it.

Everyone is different.

Last edited by NevRgiveUp; 07-09-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #14

emsachs HB User

I had a KUB xray yeaterday and I still have the stone, although now they say it is 5mm. My urologist said that I could opt for lithotripsy.
Is this a better option than the "basket" procedure??

Is Lithitripsy it painful afterward? What is recovery time?
Is my life on hold or should i just go about my business??

Old 07-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #15
(male)

kkip HB User

emsachs,

I've had Ureteroscopy ("basket" procedure) and know several people who have had Lithitripsy. To me the Lithitripsy seemed much better. Kind of like getting punched while you are knocked out. Then it is over.

If your doctor is offering the Lithitripsy, you should strongly consider it. Especially if you insurance will cover the cost. My doctor told me that Lithitripsy cost too much ($10K vs $4K for Ureteroscopy). But I now suspect that the main difference was that my doctor could perform the Ureteroscopy himself at the hospital in which he practices. But the the Lithitripsy would have required a different hospital and different doctor.

After my Ureteroscopy, my doctor said "we can do this again any time, I have two kids in college you know". Not funny!

kkip

Last edited by kkip; 07-09-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Closed Thread