It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,156
hilery79 HB User
Constant flank pain

Hi,
I have had constant pain in my lower back and left flank area for 3-4 months now. Most of the time it is a constant dull ache, but sometimes I'll also get twinges of severe pain in this area. I had an abdominal ultrasound which found a stone in my right kidney, but my left kidney was normal. It is also very tender over my left flank area if I push on it. Is it possible for a small stone not to show up on an ultrasound? Could this cause a constant dull ache?
Thanks

 
Old 09-04-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi,
I have had constant pain in my lower back and left flank area for 3-4 months now. Most of the time it is a constant dull ache, but sometimes I'll also get twinges of severe pain in this area. I had an abdominal ultrasound which found a stone in my right kidney, but my left kidney was normal. It is also very tender over my left flank area if I push on it. Is it possible for a small stone not to show up on an ultrasound? Could this cause a constant dull ache?
Thanks
Could be, but maybe the left is feeling the pain. I didn't feel any pain, just a burning feeling all the time until they performed Litho two weeks ago. Boy, that was hard. When you feel your flank pain, is it right under the rib cage and down the front or in the back or both?

Andrea

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,156
hilery79 HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Hi...thanks for your reply.

My pain is mostly in the back and side. I do also have a feeling of pressure under my left rib cage occasionally. I went to my Dr. again last week and they were stumped. My urinalysis was normal. If my pain were kidney related, would there be blood in my urine? They also drew some labs and I'm going back today for an x-ray of my spine. I just can't help but think it's kidney related since the pain is in my flank area.

 
Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Hi...thanks for your reply.

My pain is mostly in the back and side. I do also have a feeling of pressure under my left rib cage occasionally. I went to my Dr. again last week and they were stumped. My urinalysis was normal. If my pain were kidney related, would there be blood in my urine? They also drew some labs and I'm going back today for an x-ray of my spine. I just can't help but think it's kidney related since the pain is in my flank area.
Not necessarily would there be blood in the urine. And yes there could be too. But sometimes I think the kidney is just sore from being pounced on by a kidney stone. They are pretty hard, those stones. Yes, take a picture of your back, I have a diffused disk in my spine but it doesn't make me have flank pain on my side or back where the kidney and urethra are. I believe you are right, still kidney related cause of the flank pain.

Andrea

 
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 133
heitara HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Yes, it's possible the ultrasound don't reveal anything if the stone in your kidney is smaller than 2mms. Which is good news! And I agree with Andrea, the urine test sometimes can come out totally negative and with no traces of blood and yet you can have a tiny stone or, better still, some gravel. The pain you're describing is something I know pretty well. If I were you I'd drink plenty of water and take some herbal teas that are mildly diuretic. I'm sure whatever is inside there will be passed with just a slight discomfort
Let us know
Carla
__________________
Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

 
Old 09-07-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,156
hilery79 HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Andrea and Carla...Thanks for your help.

I saw my Dr. again today...my labs were all normal(except my hemoglobin was a little low). They couldn't fit me in for imaging today, but I'll be having a KUB and lower spine xray done tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll figure out what's causing my pain.

Thanks again

 
Old 09-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Constant flank pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilery79
Andrea and Carla...Thanks for your help.

I saw my Dr. again today...my labs were all normal(except my hemoglobin was a little low). They couldn't fit me in for imaging today, but I'll be having a KUB and lower spine xray done tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll figure out what's causing my pain.

Thanks again
No problem, I'm here for you and I'm sure my friend Carla is too. She is so supportive.

Andrea
Good Luck, keep us posted.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Right Flank pain, NOT kidney.... missamelissa Kidney Disorders 5 11-08-2011 11:23 PM
Left flank pain mom8753 Kidney Disorders 2 08-23-2011 02:03 PM
Flank Pain on right side pain2009 General Health 1 12-22-2009 03:46 PM
Abdominal, flank and lower back pain with PCOS? wonderingtoo Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) 2 07-14-2007 09:00 PM
Flank/back pain treatment? kristynadeau Alternative Medicine 3 03-25-2006 07:49 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Cora1003 (83), ladybud (22), writeleft (11), Deanne1962 (8), sweetfemale (6), montesflus (4), leea1206 (3), flowergirl2day (3), stoney932 (3), lady1954 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1177), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!