It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

maclac HB User
Question questions on the do's and don'ts

I had lithotripsy in June 2003 - again in June 2004 - again a couple weeks later and adding a stent - and then August 2004 i had another stone that they just went in and pulled out. 4 surgeries total - not including the removal of the stent (never again!!!!!!!!)

I just got back from the doctors today with the results from all my tests - the 24 hour urine thing, and blood tests and testing the stones. I can't remember everything he said because i was so nervous and upset, and when i called the office back the nurse told me he dictates his notes and that hasn't been done yet so they couldn't answer my questions.

i know he said that 76% of my stones were calcium, but i don't know about the rest. he said no soda, at least no dark soda with caffeine (he said sprite would be okay) - lots of water - limit the salt intake. i have to have a bone density test next week and then back to see him in 1 month. he gave me some medication also, but i don't know what it is, i took the prescription to the pharmacy, but can't pick it up until tomorrow - but he said i'd probably be on it the rest of my life. he also said said something about protein, but i don't remember what. and something about checking my potassium next month. i called the nurse and asked about iced tea - they said only if it's decaffinated. They also said kool-aid would be okay, but not lemonade.

i'm really confused. taking pepsi out of my life is going to be hard. i do drink water also, but i know it's not enough. i've tried to drink 2 liters a day, but i get really sick of it and revert back to my old pepsi ways. this is going to be difficult. Any other ideas on the do's and don'ts of drinking? any other diet suggestions? supplements? I did ask about calcium supplements, but he said to see what the bone density tests say. The odd thing is that i don't drink alot of milk (hardly ever), or eat much cheese, no yogurt, etc.

when i get my medication tomorrow i'll do more research on it - and i'll call the nurse back on Monday - but any suggestions any of you could offer would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread