It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
(female)

sued325 HB User
Question New grandchild born with only one kidney

This is my second time I am posting something. Before I had asked about about my daughter when she was pregnant, her ultrasound showed only one kidney. Well our little angel was born on the 24th of Sept. and he is beautiful. The one kidney is functioning well and we still worry, but the doctor has reasured us and said he should lead a normal life.
My question is, has anyone ever had this situation? If so now that he is born,
should my daughter do anything different? Is there anything I can let her know what to do or what not to do?
If anyone has ever experienced this before could you please respond?
Thankyou,
Sue

Old 09-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #2

mimish HB User
Re: New grandchild born with only one kidney

Sue, First I would like to congratulate you and your family for having a grandchild. It must be a joy to see this little person person unfold and I understand your worries. I can't really answer your question with regrad to his kidney, but put your trust in God and what the doctors say. I am sure your daughter will follow the health of her son carefully and the doctors will probably let her know of anything "special" she'll have to do to help him.
Best wishes and enjoy being a grandmother!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Sue,
Well, congratulations on a healthy grandson!

I think we posted back and forth on this before. It's only because of all the tests, etc., that they do on newborns nowadays that you're even aware that he has only one kidney. In the old days, you would never have known.

He should be absolutely fine! The only cautions that I can think of (and don't be afraid to ask the doctors if they have any advice) is when he gets older, it might not be a great idea for him to play football. Also, if he ever does get a urinary tract infection, make sure it's taken care of right away.

But, other than that, I don't think there's anything that needs to be done. His kidney is healthy, and that's what matters.

Ruth

Old 10-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

sued325 HB User

Hello,
thankyou once again for responding. You are absolutley correct about not knowing these things along time ago. I had went to one of my daughters ultra sound and the girl who was doing it said that she had just did an ultrasound on a 30 year old girl and she only had one kidney and did not know it. It will always be a worry, but the doctor says he should be fine and as long as he is urinating regularly, he will live a normal life.

He is definately our little angel baby.

Sue

Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

I would imagine that its probably even safer than for a person who only has one kidney from donating the other one, since that is how their body was formed---as opposed to an organ removed.

Congratulations, btw!

Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #6

ShanaLee HB User

Hi there, I came across this post and thought I would reply! I am 25 and was born with only one kidney. I found out when I was twelve and having stomach pain, and they only found 1 kidney down there! Im completely healthy, the only thing is, if I feel a bladder infection I'm supposed to go to the E.R. so it won't go to my kidney. It's a good thing to know which side the kidney is on also, I have my right one. When I've had ultrasounds in the past, the radiologist always remark on how my one kidney is almost double the size of a regular kidney and I guess that's pretty common for people born with one. But it's absolutley nothing to worry about!

Closed Thread