It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #1

masonpips HB User
Recovering from lithotripsy - is this normal?

What a week I've had. The stone discovered just outside the kidney on Sunday while in the ER was too large (4 mm) and got stuck sending me back to the ER at 2 a.m. Monday. Spent a day on demerol and the dr. tried the "basket catch" thing. Since it was so close to the kidney, he pushed it back in when he couldn't catch it and sent me home on pain killers (side note: was scared to death it would try to move on it's own again) and with a stent.

Wed (yesterday) I had the shock wave treatment. Today I have a huge bruise on my back that is the size of an orange but has hundreds of small dots (from the waves) - very painful. I also have some pain when urinating and pulling in my back. My stent comes out tomorrow (any advice on this) and there is no way I could have returned to a normal (work) life today; it's just too sore.

I am drinking massive amounts of liquid - water and decaf hot tea mainly and seeing large outputs (14-18 oz each time) but no particles. The dr. seemed to think he pulverized the stone so I may not see anything either.

I hope once the stent is out I don't have this internal pulling/uncomfortable feeling but when can I expect to feel back to normal? A week? No one tells you when first diagnosed that this is not a "quick fix" thing so I want realistic input on how long it will take to get back to normal.

Thanks

Last edited by masonpips; 01-20-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Lightbulb Re: Recovering from lithtripsy - is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonpips
What a week I've had. The stone discovered just outside the kidney on Sunday while in the ER was too large (4 mm) and got stuck sending me back to the ER at 2 a.m. Monday. Spent a day on demerol and the dr. tried the "basket catch" thing. Since it was so close to the kidney, he pushed it back in when he couldn't catch it and sent me home on pain killers (side note: was scared to death it would try to move on it's own again) and with a stent.

Wed (yesterday) I had the shock wave treatment. Today I have a huge bruise on my back that is the size of an orange but has hundreds of small dots (from the waves) - very painful. I also have some pain when urinating and pulling in my back. My stent comes out tomorrow (any advice on this) and there is no way I could have returned to a normal (work) life today; it's just too sore.

I am drinking massive amounts of liquid - water and decaf hot tea mainly and seeing large outputs (14-18 oz each time) but no particles. The dr. seemed to think he pulverized the stone so I may not see anything either.

I hope once the stent is out I don't have this internal pulling/uncomfortable feeling but when can I expect to feel back to normal? A week? No one tells you when first diagnosed that this is not a "quick fix" thing so I want realistic input on how long it will take to get back to normal.

Thanks
Hi Masonpips,

Whatever you do, don't drink tea if you have Oxalate stones, Tea forms Oxalate stones and tea is not good for your kidneys, been there done that.

Once you get the stent out it will hurt a little but you will not have the uncomfort and the pain that you had with the stent in you will feel better the next morning.

You may not get any remnants of the stone but if you do make sure you collect what you can so they can find out what kind of stones you form. Sometimes it can take over a week for stone remnants to pass.

I have had the Litho done so many times, the doctor won't even give me the stent anymore. I told her that if I have to get the stent then I won't be getting the Litho done, so from then on no stent. The doctors will do it because of the money, the stent is just a precaution that the stones don't get stuck in the uretuer, but if you drink plenty of water and alot at a time they will let that slide, some will and some won't depends on the doctor. If you ever have to have this done again "Hopefully not" tell them, you don't want the stent and it is your option to not have it put in.

The bruising on your kidney will be there for a couple of days but you will see an improvement with the pain. I am so used to passing kidney stones that I pass pretty big size ones anymore with pain but I can handle it. And I don't take any thing for pain because I have alot of addictions, so dealing with the pain is better than getting addicted to a drug. If you can withstand the pain, try not to take the pain killer because the more you take the drug the more painful your kidney stones will be. If you can't deal with the pain then just take half of a pill.

I don't understand why alot of people say that passing a kidney stone is more painful than having a baby, I have never had kids, but if the pain is more with a stone than, I guess I would rather have a baby.

I hope this helps you, if you have any other questions, feel free to post them, I am definitely an expert being a stone former and knowing the best things to do.

As soon as you find out what kind of stones you have let me know and I can give you some great information.

JC

Last edited by joe28paws; 01-20-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

redheadlin HB User
Re: Recovering from lithtripsy - is this normal?

I had my first lithotripsy last Tues - it was a horror story! I had a 8mm stuck in my urthera and between the anesthesia and all the pain killers they gave me I was admitted because I was horribly sick. Went home the next day and doc said to see him next week. If I was still having a lot of pain he wanted to bring me back in for a stent. I told him several times how I feel about stents and that I would drink alot. Anyway - it's been 2 days and I do feel a little better not 100% yet. I started bleeding yesterday when I unrinate - I know it's normal to do this but no one told me how long I should see blood. Should this continue for awhile? Also, very little gravel to collect. I'm hoping to find out what to avoid so I can avoid these procedures. I still have another 1mm in the kidney to get out yet. All the doc said to me was that I should be feeling myself in 3-4 days. Is this the norm? Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #4

Saphireteers HB User
Re: Recovering from lithtripsy - is this normal?

My husband was in the E.R. today he's got a 9.5 mm stone just outside the kidney in the ureter.
The morphinethey gave him didn't help the pain, so they gave him something else and OMG it was like not being sick at all, GREAT stuff. he has got to see the Urologist tomorrow to figure out what they're gonna do about it. he's had kidney stones before and lithotripsy and another stone they had to Zap in the bladder and pull out. They knocked him out for the procedure and he had some burning after the procedure and when urinating the stent hurt, because a little urine will back up into the kidney, that was the worst part. After about three days it stopped bleeding and the bruising had went away. Today they told him his kidneys are fine and working properly. As for Stent removal he thought it was gonna be painful, but it felt odd and wasn't painful. After a week or two you'll feel almost 100% again. having the actual stone and having the stone attacks are for worse than any procedures. so don't worry.

Closed Thread