It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

shan_y HB User
Unhappy stones embedded in the kidney

I have two stones of decent size embedded in the meat of my right kidney. Yet the doctors are not worried about them. They plan on just letting them stay there. My concern is that I only had one this way in October and now I have two. My question is....Has anyone else dealt with this and their results?

Thanks,
Shan

Old 02-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User
Re: stones embedded in the kidney

I also have a big one embedded in my right kidney. The first urologist told me I needed to have the"sandwich" procedure done. Then I went to the Mayo clinic and that dr told me that the stone was not causing any trouble there and it was not going to try to come out. So, she said that if she were me she would wait and see if it ever causes problems (pain, infection). She said the surgery was painful and not pretty. I am supposed to get it checked once a year.
I really dont know what to do. For now I am going to wait.
Did your drs tell you the same thing?
Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

shan_y HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemv
I also have a big one embedded in my right kidney. The first urologist told me I needed to have the"sandwich" procedure done. Then I went to the Mayo clinic and that dr told me that the stone was not causing any trouble there and it was not going to try to come out. So, she said that if she were me she would wait and see if it ever causes problems (pain, infection). She said the surgery was painful and not pretty. I am supposed to get it checked once a year.
I really dont know what to do. For now I am going to wait.
Did your drs tell you the same thing?
Anne
Anne,

They didn't tell me anything at all. They said back in October that it was rare and that it would not grow, move or cause pain. Well, I beg to differ. I produce stones every 2-4 months and now I have 2 embedded in the right. According to the CT scan the 1st one has also grown some. My faith in doctors is very low now and I don't know what to do. My husband wants me to go some where else, but the question is where? I am in Georgia and so far can not find a doctor(s) specializing in kidney stones. Thank you for your reply, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

Shannon

P.S. What is the "sandwich" procedure?

Last edited by shan_y; 02-10-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

annemv HB User

Hi Shannon, Sorry it took me so long to get back.
I cant really remember all that was said about the sandwich procedure. It is like a three step process. They put a small tube in your back and then I think they scrape around and try to vacuum out the rest. Sorry, I know that was a horrible explanation. Anyway, I was told I would be in the hospital for 5-6 days. That is one of the main reasons I am ignoring my stone
I wish that I could help you with the drs, but I have nothing nice to say about any of them.
Good Luck and let me know what you find out.
Anne
p.s. all of the other non urologist drs I have been to this year(other health problems) have all said they would leave the stone in also.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
(female)

donnapc2 HB User

Shannon, where in GA are you? I am in GA also and next week they are going to try to break apart my large stone that is in my kidney. My urologist did not suggest just leaving my stone alone,wonder why. Isn't it possible the stone can grow or move?.
Donna

Last edited by donnapc2; 02-21-2005 at 05:16 AM.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
(female)

shan_y HB User

I am in the Marietta, Kennesaw area. I think every doc is different. According to my doc they won't move grow or anything else. Well the CT showed differently.

Shannon

Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
(female)

SpyGirl101 HB User

Shan y, in Sept of '04, my uro found an 8 mm. stone in my right kidney. He said it was quite large . When he went in to take it, it was embedded. My kidney is damaged now and there is scar tissue in it. It aches ALOT. I posted in urology before I saw this section.
I don't have much nice to say about docs either ..but I would get the stone out before it causes alot of damage.
I also had blood in my urine and constant infection before they found the stone on a CT scan. I wish that it had been found before all the damage occured.

I Hope things work out for you.

Last edited by SpyGirl101; 03-05-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

shan_y HB User

The blockage and damage is my concern. I go back in on the 16th to talk with the doc about removal of the stones. I am also seeing a gyno just in case it is female problems, like endo or cysts. Why can't doctors realize that the patient knows their body the best.

Shannon

Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
(female)

SpyGirl101 HB User

I have read about different doctors here and I would have to beg to differ with anyone who says that a stone imbedded cannot cause damage or problems. My Urologist has told me that my kidney is thinned out alot and it is scarred. He said the 8 mm stone I had damaged my kidney and that the scarring was what was causing me all this pain. He HOPES it will heal.
Maybe it won't. Meanwhile, it hurts every day...I don't know anymore what to think.

But Shan _y, I wish I had known sooner that I had a stone imbedded. They broke it up and took the large pieces out and then put in a stent to let the smaller pieces pass easier. I still am in pain and that was done Sept. of '04. then the ureter surgery happened in Nov.
I think if you can find a really good doctor NOW, you will be in good shape. Don't wait any longer than you have to. Maybe you can benefit from my bad experience.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
(female)

shan_y HB User

Thank you again for your response. I had planned on seeing my Uro next Wed. to discuss having the stones removed. However, went to the Gyno yesterday and described the pain and that the Uro felt it wasn't the stones. Had a sonogram and discovered that my endometriosis is back. Had a partial hyst in 1999 with a doctor that did not do a good job and apparently left some endo tissue. I am now waiting to schedule surgery for removal of both ovaries, endo tissue and possible scar tissue. After this I will talk to the Uro if still in pain or find another one.

Thanks,
Shannon

Old 03-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
(female)

SpyGirl101 HB User

You're welcome , Shannon. I hope everything works out good and this solves the problem.

Last edited by SpyGirl101; 03-08-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Closed Thread