It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

Zdred HB User
How does my alcohol intake affect my kidneys?

Hi,
i was just wondering about how alcohol intake affects the functioning of my kidneys?
as of late ive been experiencing some pains after heavy nights of drinking with friends and i would really like to know what it is that is going on inside of me. Ive been thinking about going to the doctor as this is not that first time it has happened.
Answers are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #2

nenad HB User
Re: How does my alcohol intake affect my kidneys?

Alcohol is metabolized by liver, so no effect on kidneys. Go to the doctor - it's not from alcohol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
(female)

sjewell HB User

Hi there Zdred,
Don't know if you are still checking your replies, but I too have pain in my kidneys after a heavy night of drinking, and believe me, I know exactly where my kidneys are at and where the pain is at. I'm not saying that alcohol intake doesn't eventually effect your liver as well, but I'm sure that drinking heaps insult on top of abuse onto your kidneys- especially if you're having some trouble already. Mine has become so bad, that I have scaled back to almost no alcohol. I feel like it's retribution for all those years spent partying. For whatever reason, beer is especially bothersome- red wine is not so bad.
Anyway, good luck trying to figure this one out. I've spent quite a lot of time investigating it myself over the web and have put off going to the doctor for tests, tests, and more tests.
Shannon

Last edited by sjewell; 05-27-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #4

nenad HB User

Not suggesting you don't know where the kidenys are, but there is no and I repeat NO indication that alcohol can cause any damage to the kidneys. Even if your kidneys are damaged, drinking alcohol will not make the damage worse. I've read about it a lot since I have what I believe is a kidney disease (the one from which you don't get better). Not that I drank much before, but after I had pain and started going to doctors, I stopped drinking totally, until I read a few books on the subject. If you have pain in that area I would seriously consider going to the doctor to get to the root of the problem - it isn't alcohol.

Now obviously if you are drinking hard then you will have lots of other problems.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Beer can act as a diuretic and can make you feel quite dehydrated after a night of drinking it so in that respect, there IS a definite effect on the kidneys, but i seriously doubt any actual damage is being done.but you never know.It might be worth some further research if you have some concerns.marcia

Closed Thread