It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

madejade HB User
pain from stones moving around in kidney?

I discovered I had stones when I was 22 and 7 months pregnant. I had the works done (Litho, Uroscopy, Stent, Sepsis, Hospitals stays, etc.) I have 1 or 2 in my right kidney now, but they seem to pass on their own, then I get another, etc.

For the last few weeks I have had some pains in my right flank. I went to the doctor and they checked my urine and said it was fine. My urologist hardly ever wants to see me. He always sends me out for tests and then has his nurse call me with results.....My question is:

Does anyone get pains in their flank (but not like full blown pain of passing or obstruction) or anything prior to the stone getting ready to pass. Do they move around in there and if so, does that cause pain? I am curious because I feel something in there but not sure if it is am impending stone or what.....

Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

madison55 HB User
Re: pain from stones moving around in kidney?

Madejade,
I would like to know too. I have a 7mm stone in left kidney. Sometimes, my back/flank gets a little sore or tender. I think that it's the stone. Can't be sure, but I think so. Just today, I had what felt like little muscle spasms right in that area - just like something fluttering. Not painful, but just a fluttering or spasming sensation.
Madison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Lightbulb Re: pain from stones moving around in kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison55
Madejade,
I would like to know too. I have a 7mm stone in left kidney. Sometimes, my back/flank gets a little sore or tender. I think that it's the stone. Can't be sure, but I think so. Just today, I had what felt like little muscle spasms right in that area - just like something fluttering. Not painful, but just a fluttering or spasming sensation.
Madison

Hi Madison,

Yes you could be having this sensation from the kidney stone but I advise you to get this thing taken care of. A 7mm stone will not pass on its own.

I had a 6mm stone and I couldn't pass it, I had the litho done and they passed because they were broken down into small stones.

If anyone ever tells you that they passed a 7mm stone then they are lying to you, if that stone tries to pass, you will be in so much pain you will wish you had the litho done.

I worry about people with larger stones, as myself also, because the larger the stone is the easier it is for the stone to get bigger in size faster.

Please go see a urologist or nephrologist about this, it is not funny or fun to have pain from one of these things.

JC

Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
(female)

madejade HB User

I actually passed a 7mm stone during my second pregnancy. It hurt, but because of being pregnant my ureters were dialated and that helped it pass without litho again (had that done after my first pregnancy).

I have passed soooo many at home. Small ones and big ones. They seem to come in waves, especially during the warm months.

Like the previous post though, I would see a urologist. One of my stones was 9mm during my first pregnancy. After giving birth it blocked my ureter and I got a very bad blood infection. I was in the hospital for a week and my newborn was only a week old. I ended up with a stent placed in again (first stent was removed the morning after delivering my baby) and in order to go home I had to have a pic line and give myself IV antibiotics for like 3 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #5

am HB User

My level of pain doesn't always correlate to the size of the stone - I have had large stones cause less pain than smaller ones that move more.

Definitely see your urologist. And just the thought of being pregnant and dealing with stones and stents makes me cringe! Good luck!

Old 05-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

SpyGirl101 HB User

JoePaws,
I have to agree with you on these larger stones. They really need to be removed.
I had an 8mm stone last Sept. that was removed and a stent placed. The stone was embeddded in my right kidney and caused thinning of the cortex and I have painful scar tissue in that kidney now due to to that. My kidney function is less now but.. still functioning.
I couldn't imagine passing that on my own..neither could my Uro.

Last edited by SpyGirl101; 05-21-2005 at 11:20 AM.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
(male)

EBF HB User

From the way it was explained to me by my URO the the majority of the pain isn't from the stone MOVING it's from the stone NOT MOVING. When it gets stuck it causes a blockage which caused a pressure buildup which causes the pain.

I passed a 9mm stone recently. There was slight pain in my penis for a few days just before it passed other then that it was painless. I have had 2 & 3mm stones that have caused severe pain for days and large ones that have passed without problem. It depends on where it is that determines the pain .. size isn't always the factor.

I have the 9mm one in a baggie hanging on my wall as a reminder. I scanned it on my scanner and sent pictures to some friends along with a birth announcement. So far, in the last 13 years since my first (I remember it well, it was on our 25th anniversary trip to San Francisco) I have had about 20 "births."

Old 05-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

madejade HB User

I called my urologist and told them whats up. To my surprise, they ordered a CT Scan. The nurse said that beings I hadn't been seen for about a year, that I should have the CT done just to see whats up and see if I have developed anything new. If I know my body well enough, I am sure there is something going on in there. I will be curious to see what the outcome is.

Closed Thread